Inner Mongolia Overview
Chinese Name: 内蒙古 English IPA: Nèi Měnggǔ Location: North of China Population (city): 24,700,000(2018) Language: Mongolian, Mandarin Zip code: 010000-026000 Tel code: 0470-0482 Time zone: (UTC+8)
Inner Mongolia, is short for the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region (内蒙古自治区) which is one of the autonomous regions of the People’s Republic of China, located in the north of the country. With the capital city located in Hohhot (呼和浩特), it covers an area of 1,200,000 kilometers, making it the third largest Chinese subdivision. Boasting such a large territory, Inner Mongolia is most impressive in its vast grasslands, particularly the world-famous Hulunbuir Grassland, the Horqin Grassland and the Xilingol Grassland which has the most well protected vegetation. It has a relatively low population density and the majority are Han Chinese. About 17% of the population is ethnic Mongolian, providing unique and charming ethnic culture along their historical development.
- Grassland: The total area of the grassland in Inner Mongolia takes up one tenth of the country’s territory. The six major grasslands are (listed in sequence from east to west): Hulunbuir Grassland , Horqin Grassland, Xilingol Grassland, Ulanqab Grassland, Ordos Semi-desert Grassland and the last but not the least one is Alashan Desert Grassland.
- Historical and Cultural Sites: This vast and mysterious land has a long history and profound cultural deposits. Here are the sites that you can’t miss: Mausoleum of Genghis Khan(成吉思汗陵园）, Wudangzhao Monastery(五当召寺), Zhaojun Tomb(昭君墓), Dazhao Temple(大召寺), Five Pagodas Temple(五塔寺) and Inner Mongolia Museum. Visiting the relics will give you an overall understanding of the Inner Mongolian history.
- Horse-riding & Wrestling: For almost every tourist traveling to Inner Mongolia, the most attractive and exciting activity they’d like to try is definitely the horse-riding. Riding on a horse in the vast grassland will give you a fresh feeling. Besides horse-riding, wrestling is also a good choice for strong bodies to experience, actually the exercise is to make people stronger.
- Red Food & White Food: Speaking of the food in Inner Mongolia, one will have meats and milk in his/her mind. Traditional Mongolian food is found throughout Inner Mongolia. Meats, especially lamb, form most meals, and are divided into the Red Food category while the dairy produce such as milk, yoghurt and cheese are put into the White Food category. In local custom, White Food is the highest treat to their guests.
Hot Destinations in Inner Mongolia
Other Destinations in Inner Mongolia
- Hinggan League
- Alxa League
Inner Mongolia Attractions
Generally speaking, Inner Mongolia Tourist Attractions can be divided into four types including grassland, historical relics, desert scenic area and ethnic culture and custom themed activities. Hulunbuire Grassland, Xilamuren Grassland(希拉穆仁草原), Huitengxile Grassland(辉腾锡勒) are recommended for your Inner Mongolia grassland tour where you can try horse riding, archery and Mongolian yurt; Zhaojun Tomb(昭君墓), Five Pagodas Temple (五塔寺), Dazhao Temple(大昭寺), Mausoleum of Genghis Khan (成吉思汗陵) should be on your list for Inner Mongolia culture tour; Kubuqi [...]
Inner Mongolia Tours
Inner Mongolia tour impresses us most by its vast jade grassland, Mongolian ethnic customs and historical relics. It offers us attractions such as Zhaojun Tomb(昭君墓), Five Pagodas Temple (五塔寺), Dazhao Temple(大昭寺), Mausoleum of Genghis Khan (成吉思汗陵) for Inner Mongolia culture tour, from which we can get to know the history and culture development of Inner Mongolia; Inner Mongolia grassland tours focused on Hulunbuire Grassland, Xilamuren Grassland(希拉穆仁草原), Huitengxile Grassland(辉腾锡勒) and Gegentala Grassland(格根塔拉草原) for tourists to [...]
- More City Tours Including Inner Mongolia >>
- More China Provinces Tours Including Inner Mongolia >>
- More Multi-City Tours Including Inner Mongolia >>
- All Tours Including Inner Mongolia >>
Climate & When to Go
Inner Mongolia is the third largest province in China. Its east, south and west are adjacent to Heilongjiang, Jilin, Liaoning, Hebei, Shanxi, Shaanxi, Ningxia and Gansu provinces accordingly, its territory passes three northern regions (northeast, north China and northwest) and close to Beijing and Tianjin, the northern part borders Mongolia and the Russian Federation. Inner Mongolia Climate Inner Mongolia is one of the coldest regions in [...]
Inner Mongolia enjoys a very convenient transportation by airplanes, trains and buses. There are five major airports in Inner Mongolia. In terms of railways, there are currently 19 state-owned railway trunk lines, 12 branch lines and 5 local railways, which are accessible to dozens of cities such as Beijing, Xi 'an, Hailar, Lanzhou and Yinchuan. As for highways, there are many national highways passing through Inner Mongolia. How to Get to Inner Mongolia By Air As Inner Mongolia boasts a vast area, it [...]
Festivals and Activities
Inner Mongolia is a place full of prairie culture and nomandic customs, the festivals and activities in Inner Mongolia also well embodies its regional features. The table bellow lists some ethnic festivals and activties in Inner Mongolia, for your reference. Chinese Name English Name Date Location 蒙古族大年 Mongolian New Year First day of the first lunar month Throughout Inner Mongolia 那达慕大会 Nadam Festival Midsummer Gegentala Grassland 敖包会 Aobao Festival Undesignated date from May to August Throughout Inner Mongolia, particulalrly in Ewenki Autonomous Banner 昭君文化节 Zhaojun Cultural Festival Some chosen days from July to August Hohhot 米阔鲁节 Mi Kuolu Festival Late May Old Barag Banner, Hulunbuir 瑟宾节 Sebin Festival June [...]
Here are some useful Inner Mongolia travel tips and local tourism informaion for your reference to have a better travle experience in Inner Mongolia tour. 1. Useful Numbers Here are Inner Mongolia useful telephone numbers and postcodes of Inner Mongolia for you to have a convenient Inner Mongolia tour. China International country code number 0086 Police 110 Fire 119 Ambulance 120 Check Telephone Number 114 Traffic Accidents 122 Weather Report 12121, 96121 Inner Mongolia Tourism Bureau 0471-6965978 Supervision Office of the Claims Reception of Commission for Discipline Inspection 0471-12388 Tourism Complain 2. Postcodes and Area Codes in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region Administrative Divisions Postcodes Area Codes [...]
Inner Mongolia maps are good facilitators for you to better understand Inner Mongolia and enjoy your Inner Mongolia tour. For your reference, we have collected Inner Mongolia maps including Inner Mongolia transportation map, Inner Mongolia regional map, Inner Mongolia location map, Inner Mongolia tourist attractions map, Inner Mongolia cities map, map of scenic spots around Inner Mongolia, Inner Mongolia travel map, etc. [...]
Inner Mongolia Accommodation
Where to stay in Inner Mongolia? Inner Mongolia Accommodation provides you with information about hotels ranging from luxury hotels to featured inns including the best 5-star hotels and confortable hotels decorated in local folk style as well as Mongolia yurts accommodation. Recommended Hotels in Inner Mongolia Recommended 5-star Hotels in Inner Mongolia Wanda Vista Hotel Hohhot (呼和浩特富力万达文华酒店) Address: No.26 Xinhua East Street, Saihan District, Hohhot City (呼和浩特赛罕区新华东街26号) Tel: 0471-5188888 Nearby Attractions: Inner Mongolia Museum Inner Mongolia Hotel-Hohhot 呼和浩特内蒙古饭店 Address:No. 31 Ulanqab West Road, Xincheng District, Hohhot City (呼和浩特新城区乌兰察布西路31号) Tel:0471-6938888 [...]