Hulunbuir Grassland in Inner Mongolia
Hulunbuir Grassland is endowed with amazing scenery in north China's Inner Mongolia autonomous region. The grassland, covering an area of 100,000 square kilometers, revealed its picturesque scenery in summer. As one of the most beautiful grasslands in China and one of the largest grassland in the world, Hulunbuir Grassland also enjoys the reputation of the “most unsullied grassland” because of the lack of pollution in this area.
English Name: Hulunbuir Grassland in Inner Mongolia
Chinese name: 呼伦贝尔大草原
Coverage:100,000 square kilometers
Type:Kingdom of Grassland
Best Seasons: June-October
Recommended Visiting Time: 3-6 days
Opening Hours: Open all day
The Hulunbuir Prairie is located at the western foot of the Greater Xing’anling Mountains. Hulunbuir borders Russia to the north and west, Mongolia to the south and west, Heilongjiang(黑龙江) province to the east and Hinggan League (兴安盟) to the direct south. This green land is also the birthplace of the Genghis Khan (成吉思汗, the founder and first Great Khan of the Mongol Empire).
Why is Hulunbuir Grassland So Special
Hulunbuir Grasslands, located in northeastern Inner Mongolia. The Grasslands are considered the “most unsullied grasslands” in China. Named after the Hulun and Buir lakes, the grasslands feature forests, rivers and lakes. After May, the green grassland is dotted with colorful flowers, birds, and cattle and sheep scattered among the grasses. There are also various local activities, including horseback and camelback riding, horse racing and wrestling.
Best Time to Visit Hulunbuir Grassland
The best time to visit Hulunbuir Grassland is from the June to middle September. During this period, the uninterrupted green stretches in all directions. Travelers could try horseback riding on the grassland, and sample a local dish of boiled or barbecued lamb. You could even spend a night in the Mongolian yurts that will give you a picture of the lives that the nomads and the marauding Mongols of the past lived.
Introduction of Hulunbuir Grassland
Hulunbuir Grassland is endowed with amazing scenery in north China’s Inner Mongolia autonomous region. The grassland, covering an area of 100,000 square kilometers, revealed its picturesque scenery in summer. As one of the most beautiful grasslands in China and one of the largest grassland in the world, Hulunbuir Grassland also enjoys the reputation of the “most unsullied grassland” because of the lack of pollution in this area.
Major scenic features are the high steppes of the Hulunbuir grasslands, the Hulun and Buir lakes (the latter partially in Mongolia), and the Khingan range.
The area gets its name from a legend that long ago, there lived a handsome young man called Hulun and a beautiful young lady called Buir. The two were deeply in love, but were forced to separate and later turned into two lakes, the Hulun and Buir lakes. The grassland is nurtured by hundreds of rivers that have made this area highly popular with nomads and herders. This paradise is China’s largest base for pollution-free food resource for animals.
How to Get There
- The nearest airport is Hulunbuir Hailar Airport, 33 km from Hulunbuir Grassland Paradise.
- The Binzhou Railway goes through Hailaer. There are many trains from Beijing, Harbin, Hohhot and Baotou to Hailaer, with the train from Beijing to Manzhouli also passing Hailaer. You can take the 1301 train from Beijing to Hailaer
Useful Travel Tips
- The temperature in the prairie will usually vary greatly between the night time and daytime. In July, we expect daytime temperatures of around 25°C, and temperatures of around 14°C at night. Even though it is summer, please be prepared to dress warmly. There’s a chance that it will rain, and the weather conditions can change quite quickly.
- You will spend your night in a local 5-star hotel or in local guesthouses.
- Bring some spending money for snacks during the trip.
More Attractions in Inner Mongolia
- Mammoth Park in Hulunbuir City
- Hulunbuir Nationality Museum
- Zhalanaor Museum in Hulunbuir City
- Taiping Village in Hulunbuir City
- Great Khingan Mountains
- Golden Horde Mongolian Tribe
- Mastryoshka Doll Square
- Hulun River in Hulunbuir City
- Moerdaoga in Erguna City
- Aoluguya Ewenke National Township
- Genhe Wetland in Hulunbuir City
- Mongolian Tribe Resort in Hailar City
- Xishan National Park in Hailar City
- Huitengxile Grassland in Hohhot City
- Dalate Pass Yellow River in Erdos City
- General’s Government Office in Hohhot City