Located in the northern temperate zone, Hulunbuir enjoys a marked continental climate which features in long and cold winter, short and warm summer, dry and windy spring as well as autumn with sudden drop in temperature and early frost, as well as lack of heat, large temperature difference between day and night, high utilization rate of effective accumulated temperature, short frost-free period, abundant sunshine, large difference in precipitation, and the precipitation period mostly concentrated in July and August.
The temperature is cold in winter and warm in summer. In most of the city area, annual average temperature is below 0 ℃, only few of the eastern and western of the Greater Khingan Mountains can reach 0 ℃ or above. The Coldest month is in January with the average temperature between 18-30 ℃ while the hottest month is in July with the average temperature between 16 and 21 ℃.
Hulunbuir is rich in sunshine which nurtures the green grassland.
Hulunbuir also features in large precipitation variation and uniform distribution, with the interannual variation remains large. Precipitation in winter and spring is generally 40-80 mm, accounting for about 15% of annual precipitation. Precipitation in summer is large and concentrated, most areas reaching 200-300 mm, accounting for 65-70% of the annual precipitation, autumn precipitation reduced accordingly, the general trend is: agricultural areas 60-80 mm, forest 50-80 mm, pastoral areas 30-50 mm.
Tips for Hulunbuir Weather
Four Seasons of Hulunbuir
• During the months of June, July and August you are most likely to experience good weather with pleasant average temperatures.
• Hulunbuir has dry periods in January, February, March, April, May, October, November and December.
• Cold season / winter is in the months January, February, March, November and December.
• On average, the warmest month is July.
• On average, the coolest month is January.
• July is the wettest month. This month should be avoided if you don't like too much rain.
• January is the driest month.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to travel in Hulunbuir is from mid-May to mid-September, Hulunbuir at that time is a summer resort for tourists, and they can fully enjoy the grassland scenery. Another high time to visit Hulunbuir is from November to February, for tourists can have a pleasant ice and snow tour in Hulunbuir.
- 1.The temperature difference between day and night in Hulunbuir varies greatly, so you should prepare long-sleeved clothes for appropriate use. Winter is colder, thick clothing, leather hat, scarf, gloves, sunglasses, chilblain cream are necessary, besides, you have to wear snow jogging shoes with good warm performance and tight friction force.
- 2. After July, there will be more mosquitos on prairie, you should prepare long pants and long-sleeved clothes, bring some mosquito repellent, besides, you had better wear traveling shoes instead of sandals to avoid mosquito bites.
- 3. Pack your folding umbrella, for it is useful both in sunny days and sudden raining weather.
The peak seasons for Hulunbuir tourism are June, July, August when the land is in full green. September to October are high times for colorful scenery of fall . Early July is recommended for the biggest Mongolian festival Nadam Fair is held at the period, tourists can explore the ethic customs and enjoy local food while appreciating the amazing summer scenery.