Chinese Name: Xining English IPA: Xīníng Location: Northwest of China Population (city): 2,371,100(2018) Language: Central Area Mandarin, Xining Dialect Zip code: 810000 Tel code: 0971 Time zone: (UTC+8)
Located on the eastern edge of Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, Xining (Chinese: 西宁) is the capital of Qinghai province in western China, and the largest city on the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau. As the political, economic, cultural and traffic center of Qinghai Province with an average altitude of over 2,200 meters, Xining is the first city on the upper reaches of the Yellow River to achieve a population into the millions. The city was a commercial hub along the Northern Silk Road’s Hexi Corridor for over 2000 years, and was a stronghold of the Han, Sui, Tang, and Song dynasties’ resistance against nomadic attacks from the west. Now, the city of Xining acts as one of the major gateways to the Tibetan Plateau.
Highlights of Xining
- China’s Summer Resort Capital: Geographically speaking, Xining is 2260 meters above the sea level, but the climate is much better than that of Tibet. Xining has a continental mid-drought climate. Sunshine is sufficient in Xining and summer is cool. The annual temperature is about 6.5C. Due to its cool climate Xining is considered to be a summer resort in northwestern cities. The best time to visit Xining is from May to September every year.
- Superb High Plateau Landscape: Xining is the starting point of most traveling routes in Qinghai Province. Not very far away from the city, you can visit the largest salty lake in China – Qinghai Lake, vast plateau grasslands with countless yaks, giant snow mountains afar. Other famous attarctions such as Riyue Mountain, Chaka Salt Lake, Qilian Mountain Grassland and Gold and Silver Grassland also offer your great plateau scenery.
- Authentic Ethnic Culture: Xining is one of the largest localities for Tibetan and Hui people. There are many grand Buddhist temples and Islamic for you to explore the exotic culture, such as the famous Taer Monastery and Dongguan Great Mosque.
- Transfer Hub for Tibet Tour: Xining is the starting point of Qinghai Tibet Railway. Xining Flights and Xining Trains provide you convenient transportation to nearby tourists destinations. There are many trains for you to transfer to Lhasa each day. From Xining, you can also take flight to Lhasa, Lanzhou, Dunhuang, Xian, Beijing, etc.
Edited by Brittany Tian/田春燕
Hot Destinations in Xining
Other Destinations in Xining
- Chengzhong District
- Datong County
- Huangyuan County
- Chengdong District
- Chengxi District
- Chengbei District
- Huangzhong County
Xining Attractions include a list of top things to do and must-see attractions in Xining. All attractions picked by our seasoned travel advisors and rated by our customers. Following is the list of Top 10 Attractions in Xining by TripAdvisor. Xining is an ancient plateau city with a history of more than 2,100 years. It is called Xiping Pavilion in ancient times. It was once the place where the post-Han general Zhao Chongguo camped out, the capital of Nanliang, the throat [...]
Xining travel packages list all of Xining tours, Xining day tours, Qinghai tours itinerary with Xining and China tours including Xining. Plan Xining tours including 1-30 days trip and tours, Xining food culture tours, join group tours and sightseeing tours. As the capital city of Qinghai Province, Xining is the cultural and economic center of Qinghai. Xining has become a hot tourist destination especially in summer vacations thanks to the development of economy and tourism as well as its favorable weather in Summer. Its strategic [...]
- More City Tours Including Xining >>
- More China Provinces Tours Including Xining >>
- More Multi-City Tours Including Xining >>
- All Tours Including Xining >>
Climate & When to Go
Xining Weather and Climate describes information with temperature, precipitation, Geography, What Clothes to Wear in Xining, weather and climate by month, climate graph, 15 days Xining weather forecast. Find out the best time to visit Xining and see the season highlights in Xining. It also tells you what to wear in different seasons and Clothes packing for your Trip to Xining. Xining Weather and Climate Feature Xinning enjoys cold steppe climate and has also been dubbed the Summer Resort Capital of China owing to [...]
Xining Transportation Guide serves you detailed transport information and introduces fights to Xining, Xining high speed trains, Xining trains, Xining Cycling, Xining buses, Xining Bus Stations and Railway Stations, Xining taxis and ways of getting in and around Xining. How to Get to Xining Xining is the transportation hub of Qinghai Province, which can be reached in many ways. Caojiabao International Airport is the only civil airport in Xining, operating flights to major cities in China. Xining serves as the [...]
Festivals and Activities
Xining Festivals and Events introduce a brief introduction of festivals and activities and tell travelers Top Things to Do for Xining festivals Tours and important Xining events and activities including Exhibition, Conference, Trade Show, Expositions and Trade Fairs. With the exception of Chinese traditional festivals, every place has its own festival to show their special places, culture, or specialties, so does Xining. The festivals in Xining are influenced by a lot of things, such as their spiritual beliefs and the culture [...]
Xining Travel FAQs and Tips introduce the city and zip codes, post offices, useful numbers, hospitals, banks for foreign exchange, Government and famous universities. When plan your trip to Xining, view our answers to questions about Xining travel to get better understanding of Xining. Xining is an ancient plateau city with a history of more than 2,100 years. It is called Xiping Pavilion in ancient times. It was once the place where the post-Han general Zhao Chongguo camped out, the capital [...]
Xining Travel Maps in English includes Maps List of Xining Tourist Attractions, Maps of Xining Hotels, Maps of Xining Tours, Xining Subway Maps, Maps of Transportation. It shows the specific location maps of main roads, Transportation, railway, stations, Bus Stations, Airports, expressway, administrative division, famous tourist attractions, travel and tours, universities, banks and hospitals. [...]
Xining Accommodation and Hotels Booking introduces Where to stay in Xining and the recommended Xining 5-star luxury hotels, Comfortable 4-star, Economic 3-star and Cheap Hostels recommended by TripAdvisor. Where to Stay in Xining Xining is not a big city, although it doesn't offer luxury hotels, it hosts many good hotels with clean and comfortable accomodation condition and nice service. If you want to go shopping or just stroll in streets, Chengxi District is a good choice, while Chengzhong [...]