Chinese Name: 开封市 English IPA: /'kai'fʌŋ/ Location: In the eastern part of Henan Province, the hinterland of the Central Plains and the bank of the Yellow River Population (city): 4549300 Language: Henan Dialect and Mandarin Zip code: 475000 Tel code: 0371 Time zone: UTC+8
Kaifeng, referred to as “Bian” for short, was known as Dongjing City, Bianzhou, Bianjing and Bianliang in ancient times. It is known as “the ancient capital of ten dynasties”, and one of the eight ancient capitals in China. It is a prefecture-level city under the jurisdiction of Henan Province, a cultural tourism city approved by the State Council and one of the central cities in the core area of the Central Plains Urban Agglomeration. Kaifeng is located in the eastern part of Henan Province, the hinterland of the Central Plains and the bank of the Yellow River. It is adjacent to Zhengzhou in the west, connected to Shangqiu in the east, Xuchang and Zhoukou in the south, and facing Xinxiang across the Yellow River in the north. The history of Kaifeng is full of prosperity. The lakes in Kaifeng were criss-crossing and widely distributed, Kaifeng was therefore known as the “Northern Water City”. In history, Kaifeng has become the earliest developed region in China and the ideal place for all dynasties to build their capitals by virtue of its superior natural conditions and geographical location. During the Northern Song Dynasty, Kaifeng, the capital Bianjing at that time, was prosperous with a population of over one million. It was not only the political, economic and cultural center of the country, but also one of the most prosperous metropolises in the world at that time. The long history has left deep historical and cultural accumulation and rich cultural relics. As early as 1982, Kaifeng was listed as a national historical and cultural city by the State Council.
Highlights of Kaifeng:
- Long History: Kaifeng is one of the first batch of national historical and cultural cities, with four major characteristics of “rich cultural relics, long urban pattern, strong ancient city features and unique northern water city”. So far, Kaifeng has a history of more than 4,100 years of city construction and capital construction, including Xia Dynasty, Wei State in Warring States Period, Houliang, Houjin, Houhan and Houzhou in Five Dynasties, Song Dynasty, Jin Dynasty and other dynasties successively established their capitals here, known as the ancient capitals of eight dynasties, forming the “Song Culture”, which inherited the Han and Tang Dynasties, opened Ming and Qing dynasties and had far-reaching influence.
- Famous Attractions: Millennium City Park, Dragon Pavilion Park, Song Dynasty Imperial Street, Iron Pagoda Park, Yuwangtai Park, Kaifeng Prefecture, Daxiangguo Temple and other countless cultural relics and historic sites are precious assets left behind by Kaifeng’s splendid history. Apart from rich history, Kaifeng’s unique folk customs, local snacks and Kaifeng’s chrysanthemums are also important components of the unique charm of the ancient city.
- Rich Culture of Art: Rich culture adds more charm and flavor to Kaifeng. Kaifeng Bian Embroidery, Kaifeng Opera, Calligraphy and Riverside Scene at Qingming Festival are precious cultural resources left over from history. The northern song dynasty painter Zhang Zeduan’s painting “Riverside Scene at Qingming Festival” depicts the bustling and lively scene and beautiful natural scenery of the capital Bianliang and the banks of the bian river in the northern song dynasty during the Qingming festival. It has become a miniature of Kaifeng’s prosperous history.
- Story of Bao Zheng: Kaifeng is also famous for Bao Zheng, who was an honest and upright governor in Song Dynasty. During his tenure in Kaifeng, Bao Zheng did not rely on those powerful officials. Instead, he devoted a lot of time and energy to the affairs of the common people, hoping to fairly judge many bad people according to these principles and uphold justice for the public. Therefore, people respected Bao Zheng very much because he represents China’s fairness and integrity. Kaifeng is the best place to know this honorable official.
Other Destinations in Kaifeng
- Lankao County
- Qi County (Kaifeng)
- Tongxu County
- Gulou District (Kaifeng)
- Longting District
- Yuwangtai District
- Xiangfu District
- Weishi County
- Shunhe Hui District
Kaifeng Attractions include a list of top things to do and must-see attractions in Kaifeng. The scenic spots in Kaifeng are relatively concentrated, mainly distributed in Longting District. And these scenic spots are very close to each other. Kaifeng, which has always been famous for its historical scenic spots, is one of China's seven major ancient capitals. Various cultural relics and historic sites are still preserved in Kaifeng. Visitors to Kaifeng will have a lot to see and do. [...]
Kaifeng Tours mainly lists some tour packages of Kaifeng for your Henan Travel. Our Kaifeng tours are usually involved with historical and cultural relics in Kaifeng, and are connected with other tourist destinations in Henan, like Zhengzhou, Anyang, Luoyang and Dengfeng. The scenic spots in Kaifeng are relatively concentrated, mainly distributed in Longting District. It is recommended to visit Kaifeng for 1-2 days. Millennium City Park, Dragon Pavilion Park, Song Dynasty Imperial Street, Iron [...]
- More City Tours Including Kaifeng >>
- More China Provinces Tours Including Kaifeng >>
- More Multi-City Tours Including Kaifeng >>
- All Tours Including Kaifeng >>
Climate & When to Go
Kaifeng Weather and Climate describes information with temperature, precipitation, what clothes to wear in Kaifeng, weather and climate by month, climate graph. Find out the best time to visit Kaifeng and see the seasonal highlights in Kaifeng. Kaifeng is located in the eastern plain of Henan Province, enjoying a temperate continental monsoon climate with distinct seasons, abundant sunshine, warm climate and moderate rainfall. Kaifeng has a pleasant climate, so you can enjoy the spring scenery as much as you like. Summer [...]
Kaifeng Transportation gives some transportation information about how to get to and get around Kaifeng. Kaifeng has a superior geographical location and convenient transportation, and direct trains and buses to and from Beijing, Zhengzhou and Luoyang are available in Kaifeng. How to Get to Kaifeng There is no airport in Kaifeng City. Of all the airports in Henan Province, the nearest one is Zhengzhou Xinzheng International Airport, 70 kilometers away from Kaifeng City. As of December 2018, Zhengzhou Xinzheng International [...]
Festivals and Activities
Kaifeng festivals and activities gives a brief introduction of festivals and activities in Kaifeng, tells travelers what to do for a Zhengzhou festival tour, and lists important events and activities in Kaifeng including exhibition, fair and perfomance. Festivals in Kaifeng The local people in Kaifeng are mainly the central plains people of the traditional Han nationality, therefore, the festivals and activities in Kaifeng are mainly those of the Han nationality. Surely, there are also some local featured festivals and actvities in Kaifeng. Traditional Festivals [...]
To have a better travel experience in Kaifeng, here are some useful Kaifeng travel tips, which may be helpful for your Kaifeng tour. When plan your trip to Kaifeng, view our answers to questions about Kaifeng travel to get a better understanding of Kaifeng. Useful Numbers Emergency numbers are for reference in case there is an emergency. Here below are some useful telephone numbers in Kaifeng, for you to have a convenient Kaifeng tour. China International country code number 0086 Area Code 0371 Ambulance 120 Fire 119 Police 110 Weather Report 112 Traffic Accidents 122 Time [...]
Kaifeng Travel Maps in English includes Maps List of Kaifeng Tourist Attractions, Maps of Kaifeng Hotels, Maps of Kaifeng Tours, Kaifeng Subway Maps, Maps of of Transportation. It show the specific location maps of main roads, Transportation, railway, stations, Bus Stations, Airports, expressway, administrative division, famous tourist attractions, travel and tours, universities, banks and hospitals. [...]
Kaifeng Accommodation introduces where to stay in Kaifeng and the recommended Kaifeng 5-star luxury hotels, comfortable 4-star, economic 3-star and cheap hostels recommended by TripAdvisor. There are many hotels, guest houses and inns in Kaifeng. Some are near tourist attractions, some are in the city center and some are near railway stations or bus stations. The hotels in Kaifeng are mainly concentrated in Gulou District and Jinmin Square area. Recommended Hotels in Kaifang The 5-Star Hotels in Kaifeng Pullman Kaifeng [...]