Chinese Name: 克拉玛依 English IPA: /kɜː'ræməj/ Location: Situated in northwestern edge of the Dzungarian Basin, Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region Population (city): About 442,769 Language: Lanyin official dialect, Mandarin, etc. Zip code: 834000 Tel code: 0990 Time zone: UTC+8
Karamay is a prefecture city of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, and it is China’s important petroleum and petrochemical base and key of the construction of the new type industrialization in Xinjiang. Karamay is located in the western Junggar Basin and the center of the Eurasia areas – the central area of Pan-Asian region. It is has nearly 80% of the world’s oil and gas reserves. Karamay is the only city which is named after the oil in the world. It is blessed with numerous tourist attractions. The Ghost Town of the World was ever named “the magnificent Yardang of China”. The desert park there is a paradise for animals. In December of 2018,the wilderness Karamay journey tour was listed in 2018” the Charm of China City “attractive cultural tourism theme tour.
Highlights of Karamay
- The Ghost Town of the World: One of the China’s three great Yardang landforms which offers all kinds of shapes so it got the name. It was thought as one of the 50 places that are worthy to visiting for foreigners.
- Poplar River Great Canyon: The canyon is 24 miles long, with steep banks on both sides, ranging from 20 to 30 meters high. The river water meanders down the valley. After hundreds of millions of years of wind and rain erosion, a variety of strange shapes have formed.The green areas in the valley covers more than 60%. The whole valley is like a verdant corridor, which is an ideal place for tourism and leisure.
- Ailike Lake: Getting the name of “the beauty of desert”, it is the only natural freshwater lake in Karamay andI it is the terminus of the poplar river.
- Oil Resources: The oil resources in Karamay were found early, with a long history of exploitation. At the beginning of the 20th century, the recordations of Dushanzi crude oil, asphalt mound of Black Oil Mountain and and Urho asphalt have appeared in local Chronicles compiled by local officials and works of geologists at home and abroad.
Other Destinations in Karamay
Karamay provides all kinds of views there. The karst landform there is quite marvelous. With oil and unique landform featured, you could know more about oil and the karst landform. Then, you could visit local famous tourist destinations like the Ghost City of the World (世界魔鬼城), Ailike Lake (艾里克湖), Black Oil Mountain (黑油山), Poplar River Grand Canyon (白杨河大峡谷), wild populus euphratica forest, Karamay Oil Fields, Ruins of Villages in the Qing Dynasty, the Desert Oasis Ecological Park, Dushanzi Grand [...]
There are various tourist attractions in Karamay so if you have your tour plans in advance for your Karamay visiting, you would enjoy more sites. And because some tourist sites have long distance with each other, so tour plans could be useful and helpful during your Karamay traveling. Here we have some Karamay tours for your reference, such as 9 Days Xinjiang Impression Tour, 11 Days Northern Xinjiang Tour to Kanas Lake and Ili Prefecture, 23 Days [...]
- More City Tours Including Karamay >>
- More China Provinces Tours Including Karamay >>
- More Multi-City Tours Including Karamay >>
- All Tours Including Karamay >>
Climate & When to Go
The annual average temperature of Karamay is 8.6 ℃. The coldest month is January in the whole year. The average month temperature was -15.4℃, and the extreme minimum temperature was -40.5℃, which appeared on December 23, 1984. The hottest month of Karamay is July. The highest average month temperature is 27.9℃. The highest temperature ever reached 46.2℃, at Urho District on July 14th of 2004. In the whole year, July receives the most sunlight, with 302.5 hours; December receives the least,with 99.8 [...]
The following is the information about Karamay airport, railway station, coach station and public buses. How to Get & leave There By Air Karamay Airport The airport is located on the place that is 12 miles from Huke Highway, and is 13 miles away from the Karamay city proper. It was transformed to become the new one, and the old airport was stopped to be used in 1998. The airport is 289 miles away from the capital city, Urumqi. And it takes 40 [...]
Festivals and Activities
Lesser Bairam Id al-fitr or Lesser Bairam, each year in September is a Muslim Ramadan, and during this period, they only eat before sunrise and after sunset. They do not eat any diet during the day time. Usually, there would be 3 days to celebrate. Corban Festival It is a Muslim festival. In the early morning of the festival, Muslims bathe and then wear neat and formal clothes to go to the mosque to attend their ceremonies. Whether in the cities or the [...]
Useful Telephone Numbers City Code: 650200 Zip code: 834000 Fire: 119 Ambulance: 120 Police: 110 Karamay Airport: 0990-6931287 Karamay Tourist Administration: 0990-6242773; 6223009 Tourist Complaint: 0990-6888861; 6223008 Post Offices Dushanzi Post Office: No.34 Daqing West Road, Dushanzi District Nanxinlu Road Post Office: No.79 Nanxinlu Road, Karamay District Wuwuxin Town Post Office: No.73 Tianchi Avenue Karamay District Zuanjin Post Office Branch: No.4 Building of North Slope Garden, Baijiantan District Nanjinglu Road Post Office: No.16 Nanjing Road, Dushanzi District. Transportation Karamay Airport belongs to a branch airport in Xinjiang. At present, there are flights [...]
Our Karamay maps cover different types of useful maps including Karamay location Map, the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region Map, Karamay City Map, Karamay Attractions Map, Scenic Spots Around Karamay Map, etc. to help you better understand about Karamay city and plan your ideal Karamay tour. [...]
As a popular tourist attraction, tourism growth drives other development of industry like accommodation. Tourism development brings hotels of all levels for Karamay. Here is some hotels you can refer to if you arrive there. Recommended 5-star Hotels: Karamay Tahe Hotel (克拉玛依玛依塔柯酒店): The hotel is located in the center of Dushanzi, adjacent to major office buildings, financial institutions, shopping and cultural entertainment center, with convenient transportation. Add: No.13 Daqing East Road Attractions nearby: Dushanzi District Cultural Center, Botanical Garden Heyi Hotel (和颐酒店): [...]