Jade Buddha Temple in Shanghai
The Jade Buddha Temple is a Buddhist temple in Shanghai. As with many modern Chinese Buddhist temples, the current temple draws from both the Pure Land and Chan traditions of Mahayana Buddhism.
English Name: Jade Buddha Temple in Shanghai
Chinese Name: 上海玉佛寺
Attraction Type: Shanghai Attraction, Buddha Temple
Best Time to Visit: Whole year
Recommended Visiting Time: about 1 hour
Admission Fee: CNY 10-20
Address in English: No. 170 Anyuan Road, Putuo District, Shanghai
Address in Chinese:上海市普陀区安远路170号
Why is the Jade Buddha Temple in Shanghai so Special?
The Jade Buddha Temple is a Buddhist temple in Shanghai. As with many modern Chinese Buddhist temples, the current temple draws from both the Pure Land and Chan traditions of Mahayana Buddhism. It was founded in 1882 with two jade Buddha statues imported to Shanghai from Myanmar by sea. These were a sitting Buddha (1.95 meters tall, 3 tons), and a smaller reclining Buddha representing the Buddha’s death.
Where is the Jade Buddha Temple in Shanghai?
The Jade Buddha Temple is located at No.170 Anyuan Road, Putuo District, Shanghai.
How to Get There?
- Take bus 19, 206, 316, 328 or 738 and get off at Jiangninglu Anyuanlu Station.
- Take the City Sightseeing Bus and get off at the main entrance of the temple.
- Take Metro Line 13 and get off at Jiangning Road Station. Leave from exit 4 and then walk southward for about five minutes to the temple.
Chamber of Four Heavenly Kings
The Chamber of Four Heavenly Kings contains the statues of Maitreya, Skanda and the Four Heavenly Kings, who represent favorable circumstances. The chamber is located on the southern edge, or ‘front’ of the temple.
Also called the Great Hall, this hall contains many statues such as Three Golden Buddhas, Gods of the Twenty Heavens, Guanyin, Sudhana and his 53 teachers.
Jade Buddha Chamber
The Jade Buddha Chamber is in the northern section of the temple, on the second floor. A fee of 10 yuan is charged to ascend to it. Some additional Buddhist sculptures are also viewable in the antechamber.
Useful Travel Tips
- Entrance Fee: CNY 20; Tourists have to pay CNY 10 extra if they want to see the jade buddha statues.
- Opening Hours: 8:00 to 16:30
Nearby Attraction in Shanghai
- China Art Museum in Shanghai
- Shanghai Natural Wild Insect Kingdom
- Shanghai Natural History Museum
- Soong Ching Ling Memorial Residence