Shanghai Climate is mild and humid with short spring and autumn and long summer and winter. Shanghai enjoys a subtropical monsoon climate with four distinct seasons, abundant sunshine and abundant rainfall. Shanghai Weather & Climate describes information with Shanghai Climate Graph, Shanghai Climate Data, What to Wear in every season, Weather and Climate by month, Shanghai Climate Yearly. Find out the best time to visit Shanghai and see the highlights of every season in Shanghai.
Shanghai Climate & Weather
Shanghai Weather Graph by Month
According to the graph above, the months with the greatest amount of precipitation are from June to September; the months with the least amount of precipitation are from October to February of the next year. What's more, the precipitation and temperature are during the same period.
Shanghai Average Temperature
July is the hottest month of the year. While, the coldest month is January.
Shanghai Weather by Month
July and August are the hottest months in Shanghai. In general, Shanghai is a good place to visit. Even if the temperature of the hottest month is not more than 35℃.
If you want to know the detailed information of every month in Shanghai, please refer to the following:
Four Seasons of Shanghai & What to Wear
- Spring(March-May): Shanghai is a best place to have an outing in spring with hundreds of flowers in bloom. Spring is the best time to admire the beauty of flowers. The peach blossoms in Nanhui, the cherry blossoms in Gucun Park, the tulips in Shanghai Xianhua Alley all blossom in spring. It is necessary to wear sweaters and coats. What's more, the lighter clothes shall be prepared in case of warmer days.
- Summer(June-September): The hottest time of Shanghai is from July to August with dozens of days at the highest temperature of more than 35℃. The ultraviolet rays are relatively strong, which is not suitable for outdoor activities. The rainy season occurs at the beginning of June and July. At this time, the rain is continuous and it is necessary to prevent the mildew of clothes. From the end of August to the beginning of September, it is possible to meet the typhoon with violent storms. If you choose to come to Shanghai during this period, it is necessary to carry an umbrella or raincoat with you. It is suitable to pack skirts, shorts, T-shirts and other summer clothes. What's more, the sunglasses and sunscreen are necessary to appear in your luggage.
- Autumn(October-November): In autumn, Shanghai is covered with osmanthus fragrance in the city, in the community, on the sides of the street, in the parks... full of osmanthus fragrance everywhere. However, the autumn of Shanghai is far more than the sweet scent of osmanthus. Different landscapes are slowly coming into view, such as Gongqing Forest Park, Bingjiang Forest Park. The temperate weather makes this season good for travel. It rains often in autumn except in late November. What's more, it is the best time to taste hairy crabs with fresh meat. If you choose to come to Shanghai in autumn, it is necessary to pack long-sleeve T-shirts, sweaters, coats in case of the cold days.
- Winter(December-February of the next year): The coldest time is in January to February. Although there is very little snowfall, the cold air and the biting north wind are often unbearable. Winter travelers can encounter chilly weather, making urban exploration less enjoyable. It is necessary to wear the thick jacket to keep warm. When you choose to come to Shanghai in winter, the thick sweater, thick coat, warm trousers are necessary to appear in your luggage. What's more, sometime when a cold snap hits Shanghai, it is necessary to wear a down jacket.
Note: The dressing tips are only for reference. If you have the specific date to Shanghai, you shall pay close attention to the Shanghai Climate Change, which can help you better know what to pack. Especially, 15-day Shanghai Weather Forecast will be helpful for you. Of course, you can contact us if you have any problems.
Best Time to Visit Shanghai
The spring(March-May) and autumn(October-November) are the best time to visit Shanghai.
Travel Tips for Visiting Shanghai
- In China, please had better not travel in peak seasons, such as Chinese New Year, International Labor Day and National Day. If you want to experience the traditional festival culture, taking a tour during the traditional festivals of China can give you the opportunity to experience the festivals culture.
- Be careful of the changeable temperature. A few chilly days could be followed by relatively hot weather. So it is better to take some early winter clothes to protect you away from the sudden low temperature.
- Shanghai is a business-center city, so hotel rates usually rise on the weekends.