Chinese Name: 苏州 English IPA: Suzhou Location: Eastern China Population (city): 10,721,700(2018 Language: 215000 Zip code: (+86)512 Tel code: UTC+8 Time zone:
Suzhou, is a major city located in southeastern Jiangsu Province of East China, about 100 km (62 mi) northwest of Shanghai. It is a major economic center and focal point of trade and commerce, and the second largest city in the province, after its capital Nanjing. The city is situated on the lower reaches of the Yangtze River and the shores of Lake Taihu and belongs to the Yangtze River Delta region. Suzhou has been called a paradise on earth by literati since ancient times, and has been marveled as “the Venice of the East” by Marc Polo. This ancient city is located in the water network; the streets are built along the river, and the water and land are parallel; the building is built near the water, and the front lanes and the back river form a unique style of “small bridge, flowing water, and families”.
Highlights of Suzhou
- Classic Suzhou Gardens: Classical Chinese garden design, which seeks to recreate natural landscapes in miniature, is nowhere better illustrated than in the nine gardens in the historic city of Suzhou. They are generally acknowledged to be masterpieces of the genre. Dating from the 11th-19th century, the gardens reflect the profound metaphysical importance of natural beauty in Chinese culture in their meticulous design.
- Photogenic Jiangnan Water Towns: The many water towns dotted around Suzhou and Shanghai are often collectively referred to as the “Venice of the East”. These water towns offer a tranquil break from modern China and a glimpse of the time-honored traditions of rural life in the picturesque Jiangnan area as you stroll down historic cobbled lanes, take a boat ride, visit well-preserved historic buildings or enjoy a local lunch by the side of the canal.Different water towns are in different shapes decided by the flow of rivers.
- Popular Gateway City: What makes Suzhou more tourists friendly is that Suzhou applies to 144 Hours Transit Visa Free, which means you can enjoy a visa-free tour in Suzhou up to 6 days! Sanctioned by the State Council,Shanghai Municipality, Jiangsu Province and Zhejiang Province, Beijing Municipality, Tianjin Municipality and Hebei Province, and certain ports in Liaoning Province are to adopt the 144-hour visa-exemption transit policy available to nationals from 53 countries since Jan. 30, 2016.
- Combination of Modernity and Tradition: With a long-lasting legacy linking it to society and culture, Suzhou still buzzes with excitement and energy. Take in both the time-honoured operas and the contemporary delights of this modern-day metropolis. Suzhou still beats with the heart of any modern city and possesses a wealth of bars and restaurants to keep you entertained all evening. It’s the special blend of classic and contemporary that makes this city special-and visitors are keen to indulge in both sides of Suzhou’s multifaceted personality.
Hot Destinations in Suzhou
Other Destinations in Suzhou
- Gusu District
- Huqiu District
- Wuzhong District
- Xiangcheng District (Suzhou)
- Wujiang District (Suzhou)
- Changshu City
- Taicang City
Suzhou(Jiangsu) Attractions include a list of top things to do and must-see attractions in Suzhou. All attractions picked by our seasoned travel advisors and rated by our customers. Following is the list of Top Attractions in Suzhou by TripAdvisor. Top Attractions in Suzhou When come to Suzhou, confused what to see, do and experience in Suzhou? Known as the "City of Gardens", "Silk of Land", Suzhou has several kinds of attractions listed below to show you all the highlights. The top attractions [...]
Suzhou travel packages list all of Best Suzhou Tours,Best Suzhou Water Towns and Cruise Tours,Suzhou Side Trips, Suzhou Theme Tours, Jiangsu tours with Suzhou and China tours including Suzhou. Plan Suzhou tours including 1-30 days trip and tours, Suzhou water town tours, Suzhou gardens tours and sightseeing tours. Best Suzhou Tours China’s most elegant ancient private gardens are located in Suzhou. You will understand the local people’s elegance and wisdom via these gardens. Humble Administrators Garden, Lingering Garden and Lion Grove are the best among [...]
- More City Tours Including Suzhou >>
- More China Provinces Tours Including Suzhou >>
- More Multi-City Tours Including Suzhou >>
- All Tours Including Suzhou >>
Climate & When to Go
Suzhou(Jiangsu) Weather and Climate describes information with temperature, precipitation, geography, what clothes to wear in Suzhou, weather and climate by month, climate graph, 15 days Suzhou weather forecast. Find out the best time to visit Suzhou and see the season highlights in Suzhou. It also tells you what to wear in different seasons and clothes packing for your trip to Suzhou. Suzhou Climate & Weather Suzhou is located in the northern subtropical humid monsoon climate zone. It is warm, humid and rainy, [...]
Suzhou Transportation Guide serves you detailed transport information and introduces Suzhou high speed trains, Suzhou trains, Suzhou cycling, Suzhou bus, Suzhou taxis and ways of getting in and around Suzhou. How to Get to Suzhou By Air There is currently no civil aviation airport in Suzhou. Sunan Shuofang International Airport is the closest airport to Suzhou. Passengers can take a shuttle bus directly to the airport in Wuxi, or take a high-speed train to Wuxi, and take the airport bus in train [...]
Festivals and Activities
Suzhou Festivals and Events introduce a brief introduction of festivals and activities and tell travelers Top Things to Do for Suzhou festivals Tours and important Suzhou events and activities including Exhibition, Conference, Trade Show, Expositions and Trade Fairs. Festivals in Suzhou Each year, Suzhou, China is home to hundreds of festivals and events, showcasing the culture and diversity of its deep history. which dates back more than 2,500 years.Located in southeastern China. at the center of the Yangtze River Delta and only [...]
Suzhou Travel FAQs and Tips introduce post offices, useful numbers, hospitals, banks for foreign exchange, best time to visit Suzhou, what to wear, how to get to Suzhou, shopping, food, where to stay in Suzhou, etc. When plan your trip to Suzhou, view our answers to questions about Suzhou travel to get better understanding of Suzhou. Useful Numbers in Suzhou Police: 110 Fire: 119 Area Code: 020 Telephone Number Inquiry: 114 Municipal First-Aid Center: 120 Passenger Complaints: 0512-68292655 Tourist Complaint: 0512-65223377 Flight Inquire: 0512-65104881 Bus Inquiries: 0512-65252755 Bus Station Inquiries: 1601088 Train Station Inquiries: 1601234; 0512-67535067; 0512-67532831 Suzhou City Consumers Association: 0512-68150315 Suzhou Tourism Bureau: 65213140 More about Suzhou Useful Numbers Best Time to Visit [...]
Suzhou Travel Maps in English includes Maps List of Suzhou Tourist Attractions, Maps of Suzhou Hotels, Maps of Suzhou Tours, Suzhou Subway Maps, Maps of Transportation. It show the specific location maps of main roads, Transportation, railway, stations, Bus Stations, Airports, expressway, administrative division, famous tourist attractions, travel and tours, universities, banks and hospitals. [...]
Suzhou Accommodation and Hotels Booking introduces where to stay in Suzhou and the recommended Suzhou 5 star luxury hotels, Comfortable 4-star, Economic 3-star and Cheap Hostels recommended by TripAdvisor. Suzhou is a place of great beauty, with lakes, rivers, ponds, world-famous gardens, and a string of scenic hills along the eastern shore of the lake. It also lies at the center of some of the richest agricultural land in China. Having said that, the city still retains enough pockets of charm [...]