Huangpu River in Shanghai
The two banks of Huangpu have gathered the essence of Shanghai's urban landscape. Many river-bottom car tunnels and bridges have been built on the Huangpu River. Huangpu River is a multifunctional river with drinking water source, shipping, flood discharge and drainage, fishery, tourism and other values.
English Name: Huangpu River in Shanghai
Type: Shanghai Scenic Area, Shanghai famous spots & Shanghai attractions
Best Time: All Year Around
Recommended Visiting Hours: 2-3 hours
Why is Huangpu River so Special?
In order to enjoy the scenery along the river, the Bund on the west bank and Binjiang Avenue on the east bank are the two major scenic spots in the city. Binjiang Avenue is not so crowded, but the scenery on the Bund is more beautiful. There is a historical building complex along the Bund. It consists of a large number of western-style buildings built about 100 years ago, when Shanghai was partly a foreign settlement. On the east bank of Pudong is a modern high-rise building built in recent decades. Pudong has become an important financial and commercial center in Shanghai and even in China. The skyscrapers in the east are in sharp contrast with the classical buildings in the west, from which you can see the development of the city in the past century.
Where is Huangpu River?
Huangpu River is a landmark river in Shanghai, which flows through the downtown area of Shanghai and divides Shanghai into Puxi and Pudong. Huangpu River is an important waterway in Shanghai. After accepting the Wusong River (Suzhou River) at Waibaidu Bridge in the center of Shanghai, it empties into the Yangtze River at Wusong Estuary and is the last tributary of the Yangtze River before it merges into the East China Sea.
Main Attraction of Huangpu River
There are two bridges across the river: Yangpu Bridge and Nanpu Bridge, just like two huge dragons lying on the water. Between the two bridges stands the Oriental Pearl Tower. From the bird’s eye view, the whole picture looks like two dragons playing with a pearl, which is one of the unique scenery of this river. Another famous bridge on the river is the Outer Baidu Bridge at the junction of Huangpu River and Suzhou River. This is the largest iron bridge in the center of Shanghai. The bridge has a history of hundreds of years and witnessed the development of the city. In many old Shanghai movies and photos, you can see the image of the bridge.
In Wusong Port, there is another special scene: three colors of water. It is the estuary where the Huangpu River joins the Yangtze River and flows into the East China Sea. The Huangpu River water in the urban area is steel gray, the Yangtze River water is yellow sand, and the East China Sea water is green, forming a three-color mixed water scene in flood season.
The best way to appreciate Huangpu River is to take a ship cruising on the river, especially in the evening. During the general journey of around 50 minutes, you can enjoy the sights on both sides of the river from a broad view on the cruise ship. At night, the lights are blazing, decorating the different styles of architectures standing on the banks, showing different beauty. If you don’t want to spend too much time cruising on a ship, you can also take a ferry to have a quick trip between Pudong and Puxi in around 15 minutes for a single journey.
Best Time to Travel Huangpu River
The best travel time is spring and autumn, usually March-may and September-November.
Catkin, peach blossom and flying warbler are most suitable for outing in the suburbs in spring. Peach Blossoms in Nanhui, Cherry Blossoms in Gu Village Park and Tulips in Shanghai’s Fresh Flower Port are in full bloom. They are the best time to enjoy flowers. Autumn with red leaves all over the sky is the best time to taste hairy crabs. The so-called “autumn wind is ringing and crab legs itch”. At this time, hairy crabs have yellow legs, thick crab fat and beautiful crab meat, which make people drool.
How to Get There
- By Metro:
To the Bund: Take Metro Line 2 or Line 10 and get off at East Nanjing Road Stop. Then walk east to reach the Bund in around 15 minutes.
To Binjiang Avenue: Take Line 4 and get off at Pudong Avenue Stop. Leave from exit 1 and walk northward to arrive at Binjiang Avenue in around 5 minutes.
- By Bus:
Take bus No. 55, 65, 305, 736, 866 or 868 and get off at Shiliupu Wharf Stop, which is the place to take cruise ships.
Useful Travel Tips
- The rainy season is from mid-June to early July, with continuous rain. From the end of August to the first half of September is the typhoon season, often with sudden storms, these two periods of travel to Shanghai must take umbrellas.
- The entertainment life in Shanghai is quite rich. The modern facilities and natural scenery in major theme parks and parks make people feel relieved and happy. Shanghai, as the birthplace of Chinese movies and the host of one of the world’s nine major film festivals, has many cinemas with state-of-the-art audio and video equipment, which can experience incomparable viewing effects. If you are a fan and fan, then in Shanghai, a series of world-class art venues and theatres will definitely make you feel full of happiness.
- You can buy a wide range of Shanghai specialties, snacks and handicrafts in Shanghai, such as spiced beans and pear paste candy from the Old City God Temple, which are generally available in local specialty stores and supermarkets.
- The Bund
- Yu Garden
- Jin Mao Tower
- Longhua Temple
- Shanghai Disney Park
- Tianzifang in Shanghai
- The China Art Museum
- The Shanghai Museum
- The Jade Buddha Temple
- Nanjing Road in Shanghai
- People’s Square in Shanghai
- The Oriental Pearl TV Tower
- Shanghai Natural History Museum
- Shanghai Science and Technology Museum
- Huangpu River Night Cruise in Shanghai
Recommended Shanghai Tour Packages
- 1 Day Shanghai Group Tour with Zhujiajiao Ancient Town and Huangpu River Cruise
- 3 Days Shanghai Highlights Tour
- 4 Days Shanghai City Tour
- 6 Days Beijing Shanghai Tour
- 10 Days Beijing-Xian-Shanghai-Mount Huangshan Small Group Tour
- 11 Days Beijing Xian Guilin Shanghai Tour