Former Residence of Sun Yat-sen in Shnghai
The Former Residence of Sun Yat-sen was the residence of the Chinese revolutionary Dr. Sun Yat-sen (1866–1925). Sun Yat-sen lived in this house from 1918 with his wife Soong Ching-ling. After his death, Sun's wife continued to live here until 1937.
English Name: Former Residence of Sun Yat-sen in Shanghai
Chinese Name: 上海孙中山故居纪念馆
Attraction Type: Former Residence, China Celebrities
Best Time to Visit: Whole year
Recommended Visiting Time: about 1.5 hour
Admission Fee: CNY20
Address in English: No. 7 Xiangshan Road (aka Rue Molière) in the French Concession area of Shanghai
Address in Chinese:上海法租界香山路7号
Why is Former Residence of Sun Yat-sen in Shnghai so Special?
The Former Residence of Sun Yat-sen was the residence of the Chinese revolutionary Dr. Sun Yat-sen (1866–1925). Sun Yat-sen lived in this house from 1918 with his wife Soong Ching-ling. After his death, Sun’s wife continued to live here until 1937. There is now an exhibition centre presenting Sun Yat-sen’s life, together with some artifacts and a statue of Sun Yat-sen outside.
Where is Former Residence of Sun Yat-sen in Shnghai?
The Former Residence of Sun Yat-sen is located at No. 7 Xiangshan Road (aka Rue Molière) in the French Concession area of Shanghai, China, near Fuxing Park to the east.
How to Get There?
- Take line 13 and get off at Middle Huaihai Road Station. Get out from exit 1 and walk south along Sinan Road for about five minutes. Then you can see the site on your left.
- Take line 10 and get off at Xintiandi Station. Get out from Exit 6 and walk westward 10 minutes to the south gate of Fuxing Park. The Former Residence of Sun Yat-sen is next to the west gate of the park.
- Take Bus No. 24, 41, 301, or 986 and get off at Ruijinerlu Fuxingzhonglu Station. Walk east along Xiangshan Road for about three minutes to the residence.
- Take Bus No. 36, 780, 781, 786, 869, 932, 933, 974, or 986 and get off at Chongqingnanlu Fuxingzhonglu Station.
Sun Yat-sen was a Chinese philosopher, physician, and politician, who served as the first president of the Republic of China and the first leader of the Kuomintang (Nationalist Party of China). He is referred as the “Father of the Nation” in the Republic of China due to his instrumental role in the overthrow of the Qing dynasty during the Xinhai Revolution.
The former residence, built in the early 20th century, is a two-story European style building, facing south and covering an area of 1013 square meters and 452 square meters. The exterior wall is decorated with gray pebbles and the roof is covered with magenta tiles. Downstairs is the living room, dining room, upstairs is the study, bedroom, a medium-sized reception room and a large indoor balcony. At the east of the building is the garage. The interior furnishings are arranged according to Soong Chingling’s memory before her death, and most of them are original, with compact and reasonable layout.
Useful Travel Tips
1.Admission Fee: CNY 20; Children under 1.3 meters (4.3 feet): Free
2.Audio Guide Service (English/Japanese ): CNY 20 (deposit: CNY 200 with passport or CNY 400 without passport)
3.Opening Hours: 09:00-17:00 (Ticket sale stops at 16:30)
Nearby Attraction in Shanghai
- China Art Museum in Shanghai
- Shanghai Natural Wild Insect Kingdom
- Shanghai Natural History Museum
- Soong Ching Ling Memorial Residence