Tongren is such a marvelous place that holds beautiful landscapes, as well as the rich and colorful ethnic minority customs culture.
The city covers an area of 18,000 square kilometers, inhabited by 29 ethnic groups like Tujia, Han, Miao, Dong, Gelao and Manchu. Among them, the Tujia people account for nearly 40% of the total population, and ethnic minorities take up 70.45% of the total population.
There are 4 autonomous counties( Songtao Miao Autonomous County(松桃苗族自治县), Yuping Dong Autonomous County(玉屏侗族自治县), Yinjiang Tujia and Miao Autonomous County(印江土家族苗族自治县), Yanhe Tujia Autonomous County(沿河土家族自治县)) and 38 ethnic townships in Tongren.
|Administrative Divisions||Ethnic Townships|
|Bijiang District(碧江区)||Tongmuping Dong Ethnic Township(桐木坪侗族乡), Huashi Dong, Miao and Tujia Ethnic Township(滑石侗族苗族土家族乡), Heping Tujia and Dong Ethnic Township(和平土家族侗族乡), Wawu Dong Ethnic Township(瓦屋侗族乡) and Liulongshan Dong and Tujia Ethnic Township(六龙山侗族土家族乡)|
|Wanshan District(万山区)||Daping Dong, Tujia and Miao Ethnic Township(大坪侗族土家族苗族乡), Yutang Dong and Miao Ethnic Township(鱼塘侗族苗族乡), Huangdao Dong Ethnic Township(黄道侗族乡), Gaolouping Dong Ethnic Township(高楼坪侗族乡), Aozhai Dong Ethnic Township(敖寨侗族乡) and Xiaxi Dong Ethnic Township(下溪侗族乡)|
|Jiangkou County(江口县)||Dewang Tujia and Miao Ethnic Township(德旺土家族苗族乡) and Guanhe Dong, Tujia and Miao Ethnic Township(官和侗族土家族苗族乡)|
|Shiqian County(石阡县)||Longjing Dong and Gelao Ethnic Township(龙井侗族仡佬族乡), Jufeng Gelao and Dong Ethnic Township(聚凤仡佬族侗族乡), Dashaba Gelao and Dong Ethnic Township(大沙坝仡佬族侗族乡), Ganxi Gelao and Dong Ethnic Township(甘溪仡佬族侗族乡), Shigu Gelao and Dong Ethnic Township(石固仡佬族侗族乡), Pingdichang Gelao and Dong Ethnic Township(坪地场仡佬族侗族乡), Qingyang Miao, Gelao and Dong Ethnic Township(青阳苗族仡佬族侗族乡), Pingshan Gelao and Dong Ethnic Township(坪山仡佬族侗族乡) and Fengxiang Dong and Gelao Ethnic Township(枫香侗族仡佬族乡)|
|Sinan County(思南县)||Silin Tujia and Miao Ethnic Township(思林土家族苗族乡), Hujiawan Miao and Tujia Ethnic Township(胡家湾苗族土家族乡), Kuanping Tujia and Miao Ethnic Township(宽坪土家族苗族乡), Fengyun Tujia and Miao Ethnic Township(枫芸土家族苗族乡), Sandaoshui Tujia and Miao Ethnic Township(三道水土家族苗族乡), Tianqiao Tujia and Miao Ethnic Township(天桥土家族苗族乡), Xinglong Tujia and Miao Ethnic Township(兴隆土家族苗族乡) and Yangjiaao Miao and Tujia Ethnic Township(杨家坳苗族土家族乡)|
|Dejiang County(德江县)||Jiangjia Tujia Ethnic Township(荆角土家族乡), Yantang Tujia Ethnic Township(堰塘土家族乡), Longquan Tujia Ethnic Township(龙泉土家族乡), Qianjia Tujia Ethnic Township(钱家土家族乡), Shaxi Tujia Ethnic Township(沙溪土家族乡), Nangan Tujia Ethnic Township(楠杆土家族乡), Changfeng Tujia Ethnic Township(长丰土家族乡) and Tongjing Tujia Ethnic Township(桶井土家族乡)|
There are many traditional villages and minority villages in Tongren. Here below are just a fraction of them.
- Kelanzhai Village in Wawu Dong Ethnic Township of Bijiang District, Tongren铜仁市碧江区瓦屋侗族乡克兰寨村
- Chayuanshan Village in Yangtou Town of Bijiang District, Tongren铜仁市碧江区漾头镇茶园山村
- Fengxiangxi Village in Fengxiangxi Town of Dejiang County, Tongren铜仁市德江县枫香溪镇枫香溪村
- Qibashan Village in Fuxing Town of Dejiang County, Tongren铜仁市德江县复兴镇棋坝山村
- Huangyan Village in Hekou Village Committee of Nuxi Town, Hekou County, Tongren铜仁市江口县怒溪镇河口村委会黄岩村
- Yunshe Village in Taiping Tujia and Miao Ethnic Township of Jiangkou County, Tongren铜仁市江口县太平土家族苗族乡云舍村
- Masangping Village in Baisha Town of Shiqian County, Tongren铜仁市石阡县白沙镇马桑坪村
- Xiangziping Village in Baisha Town of Shiqian County, Tongren铜仁市石阡县白沙镇箱子坪村
- Haojiawan Village in Banqiao Township of Sinan County, Tongren铜仁市思南县板桥乡郝家湾村
- Guantangba Village in Dabachang Town of Sinan County, Tongren铜仁市思南县大坝场镇官塘坝村
- Toujing Village in Mengxi Town of Songtao Miao Autonomous County, Tongren铜仁市松桃苗族自治县孟溪镇头京村
- Banpo Village in Pujue Town of Songtao Miao Autonomous County, Tongren铜仁市松桃苗族自治县普觉镇半坡村
- Daxi Village in Heita Township of Yanhe Tujia Autonomous County, Tongren铜仁市沿河土家族自治县黑獭乡大溪村
- Chayuan Village in Houping Township of Yanhe Tujia Autonomous County, Tongren铜仁市沿河土家族自治县后坪乡茶园村
- Xingwang Village in Heshui Town of Yinjiang Tujia and Miao Autonomous County, Tongren铜仁市印江土家族苗族自治县合水镇兴旺村
- Zhongyao Village in Tiantang Town of Yinjiang Tujia and Miao Autonomous County, Tongren铜仁市印江土家族苗族自治县天堂镇中尧村
- Chaoyang Village in Xindian Township of Yuping Dong Autonomous County, Tongren铜仁市玉屏侗族自治县新店乡朝阳村
- Dawan Village in Xindian Township of Yuping Dong Autonomous County, Tongren铜仁市玉屏侗族自治县新店乡大湾村
|Order Number||Name||Gender||Date of Birth||Project Name||Declaration Place||Classification|
|01-0153||Liu Zesong(刘泽松)||Male||1946.09.02||The Technique of Making Flute(玉屏箫笛制作技艺)||Yuping County in Tongren||Traditional Skill|
|01-0154||Yao Maolu(姚茂禄)||Male||1946.12||The Technique of Making Flute(玉屏箫笛制作技艺)||Yuping County in Tongren||Traditional Skill|
|02-0621||Qing Zhifeng(秦治凤)||Female||1961.02||Huadeng Opera(思南花灯戏)||Sinan County in Tongren||Traditional Drama|
|02-0622||Liu Fang(刘芳)||Female||1962.02||Huadeng Opera(思南花灯戏)||Sinan County in Tongren||Traditional Drama|
|02-0659||Zhang Yuefu(张月福)||Male||1950.10||Nuo Opera(德江傩堂戏)||Dejiang County in Tongren||Traditional Drama|
|02-0660||An Yongbo(安永柏)||Male||1964.10||Nuo Opera(德江傩堂戏)||Dejiang County in Tongren||Traditional Drama|
|02-0702||Rao Shiguang(饶世光)||Male||1944.04.13||Puppet Show(石阡木偶戏)||Shiqian County in Tongren||Traditional Drama|
|02-0703||Fu Zhenghua(付正华)||Male||1930.03||Puppet Show(石阡木偶戏)||Shiqian County in Tongren||Traditional Drama|
|04-1657||Liu Shengyang(刘胜杨)||Male||1936.01.16||Huadeng Opera(思南花灯戏)||Sinan County in Tongren||Traditional Drama|
|05-2172||(王波)||Male||/||Folk Song of Tujia Minority(土家族民歌)||Yanhe County in Tongren||Traditional Music|
|05-3006||Feng Wanmin(封万明)||Male||/||Shiqian Talking Spring(石阡说春)||Shiqian County in Tongren||Folk Custom|
Local Culture and Custom
- Red Culture: Tongren is a famous old revolutionary base. In 1934, He Long and Guan Xiangying founded the eastern Guizhou revolutionary base in Tongren, one of the eight red bases in China before the red army's long march. There are Former Residence of Zhou Yiqun(周逸群故居), Former Site of Revolutionary Committee in East Guizhou Special District, Fengxiangxi Conference Site(枫香溪会议会址) and other provincial cultural protection units.
- Ethnic festivals: Tongren is home to 29 ethnic groups including Tujia, Han, Miao, Dong, Gelao and Man. There are colorful ethnic festivals in Tongren, such as “Si Yue Ba(the Eighth of the Fourth Lunar Month Festival)” of Miao, “Guo Gan Nian(过赶年) of Tujia, “Gan Ao Festival(赶坳节)” of Dong, “Dear Condor Day(敬雀节)” and “Mao Long Festival(毛龙节)”of Gelao, etc.
- Buddhist Culture: Mount Fanjing, a famous Buddhist mountain located in Tongren, was added to the world natural heritage list at the world heritage conference on July 2, 2018.
- National Intangible Cultural Heritage: National intangible cultural heritages in Tongren include Dejiang Nuo Tang Opera(德江傩堂戏), Sinan Huadeng Opera(思南花灯戏), Shiqian Puppet Show(石阡木偶戏), the technique of Making Flute, etc.