A popular saying says that, “China has food, which Sichuan has its flavor.” Sichuan cuisine, one of the famous eight style dishes of China, has developed over the centuries and gained wide popularity and universal reputation for being hot and piquant. Strong flavors, heavy use of oil and peppercorns are the main ingredients of Chuan Cuisine. Meanwhile, pepper, garlic, ginger and soybeans are also the used as the main seasonings. The cooking techniques include fast frying, stir frying, steaming, braising and so on. Besides Sichuan cuisine, Sichuan Hot Pot and Sichuan snack are also famous and worthing trying.
The typical dishes include:
- Ma Po Tofu(麻婆豆腐): One of the most influential flavors of Sichuan cuisine, served in every Sichuan restaurant.
- Kung Pao Chicken(宫爆鸡丁): A specialty of Sichuan cuisine, diced chicken, hot pepper and peanuts.
- Spicy Diced Chicken(辣子鸡) : A traditional Sichuan dish, which is stir-fried quickly over a high heat with just enough oil to keep the fresh and tender taste of the chicken.
- Fish Flavored Shredded Pork(鱼香肉丝): A common Sichuan dish. It has a complex but delicious taste that is salty, sweet, sour, spicy, and fresh (not particularly fishy).
- Twice Cooked Spicy Pork Slices(回锅肉): A traditional Sichuan dish. The tasty pork slices are fried crisp without greasiness.
- Boiled Fish(水煮鱼）: A very popular dish in China's Sichuan specialty restaurants. Heavy on the oil, Sichuan peppercorns, and dried red chili peppers, all used to flavor the delicate fresh fish filets at the center of this dish.
- Sweet-Skined Duck(甜皮鸭）: The duck is stewed in a special sauce, which makes the duck skin a little sweet crispy and tender, light spicy with fragrant and salty duck meat.
- Zhangcha Yazi(樟茶鸭子): The duck is smoked with camellia and camphor leaves, which smells good, looks dark red in color and has a crunchy exterior but tender meat.
- Dongpo Pig Knuckle(东坡肘子): It is quite choosy, only take pork knuckle with thick skin, more tendon, heavy gum, more lean meat, usually cooked with skin.
- Beef and Ox Tripe in Chili Sauce(夫妻肺片): A popular Sichuan dish, served cold or at room temperature, which is made of thinly sliced beef and beef offal.
What's more, western food restaurants like KFC and McDonald's can be found almost in every city.