Zhuge Village in Lanxi City, Jinhua
This village has a history of more than 660 years, and is home to descendents of Zhuge Liang, who is an important military statesman and strategist serving as the Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Shu in the period of the Three Kingdoms (220-265) and became a symbol of resourcefulness and wisdom in Chinese folklore. Most of the villagers here are surnamed Zhuge.
English Name: Zhuge Village in Lanxi City
Chinese Name: 兰溪市诸葛村
Opening Hours: 7:30-17:00 (Peak Season); 8:00-16:30 ( Off-Season)
Ticket Price: 80 RMB
Best Time: All year round
Recommended Visiting Hours: 1 or 3 hours
Address: Zhuge town, Lanxi, Jinhua City, Zhejiang
Zhuge Bagua Village (Zhuge Eight-Diagrams Village, 诸葛八卦村) is a historical Chinese village located 18km away from the downtown of Lanxi city, Jinhua, in the mid-west of China’s Zhejiang province.
Introduction of Zhuge Village
Zhuge Village or Zhugecun is a historic village located in Zhuge (诸葛镇), Lanxi, Jinhua, Zhejiang Province, China. Originally called Gaolong (高隆), the village changed its name to Zhuge during the Ming Dynasty due to the prevalence of the Zhuge surname among the villagers. The residents claim they are the descendants of the famed Shu Han chancellor Zhuge Liang of the 3rd century CE. The village was designated a national heritage site in 1996 and contains relics that are 700 years old.
“The majority of villagers living in Zhuge Village today constitute a full quarter of Zhuge Liang’s remaining 16,000 46th- to 55th-generation descendants.” According to the population census completed at the end of 1992, there are about 890 families and 2879 people in the village.
The architectural composition of Zhuge Village is very rare and peculiar. Buildings are arranged in an orderly fashion, according to the Bagua principles of feng shui, earning it the title of Zhuge Bagua Village. The buildings are imposing and majestic structures. The unique skyline of the village was designed to commemorate Zhuge Liang by a descendant during the Southern Song dynasty, Zhuge Dashi (诸葛大师).
The scenic site of Zhuge Bagua Village consists of the Ancestral Hall of Prime Minister, Dagong Hall, Bell Pond, Tianyi Hall, Dajing Hall, Yongmu Hall, Shangtang Ancient Commercial Street, as well as more than 200 architectural sites from the Ming (1368-1644) and Qing (1644-1911) dynasties. The ancient buildings have very distinct architectural features: cyan bricks combined with gray tiles, horse’s headwalls (high walls which should prevent fires from spreading through the village), thick roof beams and pillars, and small bedrooms.
How to Get There
- By public transportation
From Jinhua Train Station: take Bus line 11 or 19 to Jinhua South Bus Station (金华汽车南站) and then take a bus to Lanxi West Bus Station (兰溪汽车西站). From there you can take a dedicated bus to Zhuge Village (诸葛八卦村) (shift interval is about 5 minutes).
- By car
from Jinhua: follow the G330 along Danxi Avenue (2.8Km) and then for 12.8km more, turn left at Putanggang and turn right in Xinqiaotou.
- From Hangzhou: follwo the Hangxinjing Expressway, leave at Shouchang Exit.
- From Shanghai: Shanghai-Xiamen-Expressway, switch to Shanghai-Hangzhou-Expressway, then to the Hangzhou-Jinhua Expressway, leave at Youpu Exit.
- From Yiwu: Sihai Avenue — Jinhua-Yiwu highway — North Second Ring Road, follow the G330 along Danxi Avenue (2.8Km) and then for 12.8km more, turn left at Putanggang and turn right in Xinqiaotou.
Recommended Tour Packages
- 2 Days Hangzhou Silk Culture Tour
- Hangzhou West Lake Night Cruise Tour
- 1 Day Hangzhou Tour to Xixi National Wetland Park, West Lake Cruise and Dragon Well Tea Plantation
- 2 Days Hangzhou City Highlights Tour
- Hangzhou Grand Canal and Qiantang River Night Cruise Tour
- 5 Days Hangzhou and Huangshan Tour by Speed Train
- 1 Day Hangzhou City Group Tour from Shanghai
Main Attractions in Zhejiang province
- Twin Peaks Piercing the Clouds
- Jingci Temple
- Baochu Pagoda
- Leifeng Pagoda
- Fenghuang Mosque
- Viewing Fish at Flower Harbor
- Hengdian World Studios
- Longyou Grottoes
- Yunhe Rice Terrace
- Xitang Water Town