Yala Snow Mountain in Garze, Sichuan
English Name: Yala Snow Mountain in Garze
Chinese Name: 甘孜雅拉雪山
Type: Nature Reserve,forest, lakes, springs,
Best Time to Visit: July to September
Recommended Visiting Time: 4—5 days
Open Hours: all day
Admission Fee: free
Location: the junction of the three counties of Kangding, Daofu and Danba in Ganzi Prefecture, Sichuan Province
Brief Introduction of Yala Snow Mountain
Yala Snow Mountain, also called Yala Kamiyama, Yarlha Shambo Gangri in Tibetan, which means “white yak mountain in the east”(东方白牦牛山), is one of the four holy mountains in the Garze Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture. The mountain exists in many ancient texts, including a mention in the “Epic of King Gesar”, and is held in high regard by the locals. The mountain is strung with prayer flags, and Tibetans have been coming to the mountain to pray for centuries, and hang their prayer flags in honor of the nine mountain gods.
The peak is wrapped with cloud and covered by snow all year round, and is sacred to the local Tibetans, who often kneel to pray at the foot of the mountain. Known in some ancient Tibetan books as “the second Shambhala”, the mountain takes on different shapes from different directions. Seen from Tagong Grassland, it looks like a lotus-shaped throne, while from Bamei town a crown and from Nongge Mountain a sitting Buddha.
The area around the mountain is peppered with over a dozen ravines with amazing, picturesque views. As autumn descends on the region, the magnificent pine forests stand tall against the lower deciduous forests, and are a stark contrast to the red and gold colors of the leaves with their bright green needles.
Location of Yala Snow Mountain
Features of Yala Snow Mountain
- One of the perfect trekking places in the western Sichuan.
- One of the four holy mountains worshipped by the local Tibetans.
Main Attractions of Yala Snow Mountain
At the western foot of Yala Snow Mountain, there is a waterfall that is around 60 meters high. Melted snow runs down the cliffs and flows along a stream into Yalayotso Lake, which covers an area of 1 square kilometer. The Lake shows multiple colors from the edge to the center, and in the morning, it is quiet and smooth like a mirror. Around the lake are huge heaps of stone, thought to be the remnants of other ancient snow mountains. Pilgrims have a tradition of piling towers of stones on the heaps to pray for peace. To the north of the lake are forests of redwoods, which become gold and orange in autumn, and to the west are small, rolling hills, which are covered in flowers in the summer months. On the hills that are located to the west of the redwoods, there is a forest of azaleas, and in May, the azaleas bloom and suffuse an exquisite fragrance all around. Azaleas can be seen everywhere, growing in light-purple, purple, pink and light-yellow clusters.
As you ascend over the Yala mountain pass, you can see the peaks of Mt. Yala before you, and below lies the beautiful clear waters of Yariatso Lake, which sits on the side of the mountain, at an elevation of 4,200 meters. Almost untouched by humankind, as is most of the area, Yariatso Lake is a virgin area of nature, preserved by the Yala Snow Mountain Nature Ecotourism Area.
How to Get there
If you want to get rid of hustle of transportation and troublesome navigation, you can book a private tour package which covers visiting, dining and transfer from us. Our local tour guide and driver will escort you to Yala Snow Mountain with speed and convenience, and take care of all the details. You just need to focus on visiting.
Travelers to the area can take a flight from Chengdu to Kangding, or take buses that leave from Xinnamen Bus Station, Chadianzi Bus Station, and Chengbei Bus Station. There is only one flight from Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport to Kangding Airport daily, which leaves at around 9:45am.
After arriving at Kangding，you can charter a vehicle to get to Yala Ecotourism Area, which starts at Zhonggu Village.
Recommended Visiting Route
- Day 1 Chengdu—–Kangding 成都—–康定
- Day 2 Nakamura —–Camping 中谷村—–露营地
- Day 3 Camp – Yarra Camp 露营地—–雅拉营地
- Day 4 Yarra Camp – Taiwan Station Ditch 雅拉营地—–台站沟
- Day 5 Middle Valley Village – Chengdu 中谷村—–成都
You can choose to accommodate at hotel at Baimei(八美) county, where has different level of hotel.
Yala Snow Mountain Hotel in Daofu Huiyuan Temple — located in Bamei town, Daofu county, Ganzi Prefecture, Sichuan Province. It is a Khampa cultural theme hotel , integrating catering, accommodation, conference, sightseeing experience, tourism, self-cultivation, and pilgrimage.
If you need more information please check out at our website.
Siguniang Mountain is revered by the local Tibetans as a divine mountain. The majestic mountains and magnificent landscapes make her a resort for tourists, a paradise for climbers, a maze of walkers, and a paradise for photographers.
Useful Travel Tips
- Once you step at the entrance of Yala Snow Mountain , the only way to get inside is hiking, which is a great way to experience the area and the mountain. There are no facilities such as hostels or restaurants in the area, so you need to bring enough food for the trek, as well as a good tent and sleeping bag. It can get very cold at night, even in hot summer. After you have finished hiking, you can get out at either Zhonggu Village or Taizhangou, where there is a road that leads to Bamei. You can get a bus there to Danba and then on to Chengdu, and buses also run back to Kangding from Bamei, to get back to Chengdu.
- During the rainy season., tourists travel by car on the Sichuan-Tibet line should pay special attention to weather.
- Due to the complex climatic conditions, Yala Snow Mountain is difficult to climb, so it hasn’t been conquered yet.
- From mid-September to mid-April, a strong west wind blew in and brought harsh winter. It is the restricted period of Yala Snow Mountain. The best time for mountaineering activities is July to September, the temperature at the top of the mountain will be slightly higher. The good weather will last for a long time. It is a good time for climbing.