Wuzhen Water Town in Tongxiang, Jiaxing
Attractions Overview: The town of water and bridge
Attraction Type: Town, Cultural
Chinese Name: 乌镇水乡
English Name: Wuzhen Water Town
Best Time to Visit: All Year Round
Recommended Visiting Time: 1 Day
Open Hours: In summer (May 1-October 8), Dongzha is open from 7:20 to 18:00; and Xizha is open from 9:00 to 22:30. In winter (October 9-April 30), Dongzha is open from from 7:20 to 17:30; and Xizha is open from 9:00 from 22:00.
Admission Fee: Dongzha：RMB 100, Xizha：RMB 120, Coupon ticket（including Dongzha and Xizha）：RMB 150
Address in English: Shifo South Road No.18, Tongxiang, Jiaxing City, Zhejiang Province
Address in Chinese: 嘉兴桐乡市乌镇石佛南路18号
Why is Wuzhen Water Town So Special?
As a typical water town in the south of the Yangtze River, Wuzhen completely preserved the style and pattern of the old water town in the late Qing Dynasty. The streets are formed by rivers, connected by streets and bridges, houses are built by rivers, and water towns are integrated to form water pavilions, bridges, slate alleys and other unique architectural factors in the south of the Yangtze River.
Where is Wuzhen Water Town
How to Get to Wuzhen Water Town
Travel with China Dragon Tours (top recommended)
If you want to get rid of hustle of transportation and troublesome navigation, you can book a private tour package which covers visiting, dining and transfer from us. Our local tour guide and driver will escort you to Wuzhen Water Town with speed and convenience, and take care of all the details. You just need to focus on travel.
For independent travelers you can
1. Take a bus from Hangzhou Bus Station. The bus departs about every 25 minutes from 7:00 to 18:20, with a fare of CNY 31.
2. Take a train from Hangzhou Railway Station or Hangzhou East Railway Station to Tongxiang Railway Station. Then change to local city bus K282 going to the site.
3. Travel by bus from Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport. The bus departs at 9:10, 10:00, 10:40, 11:10, 12:10, 13:00, 13:50, 14:40, 15:20, 16:10, 17:00, 18:00, 18:40, 19:10, 20:10 and 21:10. Ticket fare is CNY 42 and duration is about 110 minutes. Upon arrival, take a local city bus to reach the scenic site.
Main Attractions in Wuzhen Water Town
A crisscrossing river divides the whole Wuzhen Water Town into four scenic sections, which are respectively called as Dongzha, Nanzha, Xizha, and Beizha by local people.
Xizha Scenic Area
Opening Hours: 9:00-22:00
Ticket Price: 150 CNY
Xizha is an ancient community now set aside for sightseeing and as a resort. Surrounded by crystal waters, it consists of 12 islands, which are connected by over 70 small bridges. Amongst all of the ancient Chinese towns it has the highest ratio of river and bridges to land area.
Dongzha Scenic Area
Opening Hours: 7:00-18:00
Ticket Price: 110 CNY
Dongzha is a famous ancient town tourist attraction in China. The scenic area covers an area of about 0.9 square kilometers and has more than ten scenic spots. Walking along the street of Dongzha, you will see a museum of ancient beds. As the first museum collecting and exhibiting ancient beds in China, its most exquisite collection is the Bed Made by Thousands of Craftsmen. It took more than a thousand of craftsmen three years to make the bed.
The water market is similar to today’s farmer’s market, with a total length of 457 meters. At about 5 o’clock in the morning every day, the nearby peddlers and residents come in droves with their own fruits and vegetables, wearing the blue printed cloth with local characteristics, wearing a wide brimmed straw hat, rowing boats, and the boats are full of colorful fruits and vegetables. In addition to postcards, such scenes can also be seen in this water market.
Useful Travel Tips
- While visiting Xizha, tourists can taking a sightseeing bus, the ticket costs 5 yuan.
- The opening time of different scenic area at different time is not the same, if you want the latest information, please contact us.
- China National Tea Museum in Hangzhou
- China National Silk Museum in Hangzhou
- Xixi National Wetland Park in Hangzhou
- Thousand Islets Lake (Qiandaohu Lake) in Hangzhou
- West Lake
- Longjing Tea Village in Hangzhou