Moore Memorial Church in Shanghai
English Name: Moore Memorial Church in Shanghai
Chinese Name: 上海沐恩堂
Price: 30 RMB
Hours: Tue-Sun 9 am-6 pm
Recommended Visiting Hours: 1 or 2 hours
Location: Xizangzhong Road near Hankou Road in Huangpu District, across from the famous People’s Square
Moore Memorial Church
The Moore Memorial Church, also known as Mu’en Church, is located on Xizang Zhong Lu, in the middle of department stores right across from People’s Square. Built by the only Shanghai-based architect anyone knows, Laszlo Hudec, to house an estimated 1,000 worshippers, the Church was completed in 1931. It has built up a local membership that numbers in the thousands since reopening in 1979, after its closure during the Cultural Revolution. It’s now a non-denominational church.
Brief Introduction of Moore Memorial Church
This church was established by American missionaries in 1887 and expanded in 1931 to seat more than 1,000 worshippers. It has built up a local membership that numbers in the thousands since reopening in 1979 after its closure during the Cultural Revolution (1966-76).
Originally the Methodist church of Shanghai, the nondenominational church has a Chinese woman serving as its pastor. Two bishops were consecrated here in 1988, the first in China in 3 decades; the same year, American evangelist Billy Graham preached here.
Designed by notable Hungarian architect Ladislaus Hudec, the Moore Memorial Church (c 1931) is a standout red-brick Christian edifice east of People’s Square. During WWII it was used as a headquarters of the Japanese military police. During the Cultural Revolution it became a high school, before reverting to a church in 1979. It’s only open to the public for Sunday worship.
- Sunday: 7:30 am, 10:00 am, 2:00 pm, and 7:00 pm
- Christmas Eve service: Every December 24, from 5 pm
- Christmas service: Every December 25, from 6 am
- Chinese Service time:
Wed-Fri: 7 pm
Thu: 1 pm, 7 pm
Sun: 7:30 am, 10 am, 2 pm, 7 pm
How to get to Moore Memorial Church
- Use Metro Line 1, 2, or 8 and alight at People’s Square Station. Take Exit 14, and the church is a short walk 60 meters northwest from there.
- Line 1 subway 9 min
¥1 – ¥2 (South Shaanxi Road→ People’s Square →Walk for 4 min→ 766 Hankou Road
- Taxi from Shanghai to 766 Hankou Road
One-Way from: ¥22 – ¥28
Useful Travel Tips
- Keep quiet when you walk into the church.
- Please don’t make noise and smoke in church.
- Please don’t answer the phone in the church, please turn the phone to silence.
- Take pictures with permission from staff in the church.
Other Famous Churches in Shanghai
- St.Francis Xavier Church
- Christ the King Church
- Basilica of Our Lady of Sheshan
- Abundant Grace Church
- Zhabei Church
- Jiangwan Church
- Hudong Church
- Youag John Allen Memorial Church
- Pure Heart Church
- Grace Church
Edited by Lynette Fu/ 付云锐