China Travel in June
China Travel in June will introduce China weather in June, what to pack for China travel in June, best places to visit in June and festivals in June. June is the beginning of summer in China. Although the temperature and humidity in June are slightly lower than those in July or August, June is also one of the wettest months of the year in China. If you are very sensitive to heat and humidity, China in June may not be suitable for you. Perhaps you can consider waiting until autumn to travel, or travelling to west and north China like Tibet and Beijing.
China Weather in June
June is the beginning of real summer weather in China. Most parts of the country are beginning to enter summer, and the temperature is generally high. June is also the beginning of the rainy season in China. Sometimes there will be heavy rain, thunderstorms and floods in central and south China. There are occasional typhoons in coastal areas. The southeast is in the peak of the summer rainy season. Moisture increases heat and makes people feel sultry. The weather in cities in north China such as Beijing and Harbin is slightly drier than that in the central region, relatively mild and comfortable, while the humidity in the central region really starts to increase in June. The weather in south China is especially hot and humid in June.
China Weather in June By Region & What to Pack
The People’s Republic of China is a vast country with different weather conditions in different regions.
North China in June
- Representative Cities: Beijing, Xian, Harbin, Changchun, Jinan, Shenyang, Tianjin
- Weather Feature: North China is not much affected by the mild rainy season, with short showers during the day or at night. In Beijing, the average temperature is 18-30°C, usually with about 12 days of rain. The weather in Beijing is pleasant in June with thunderstorms in the afternoon. The weather condition in Xi ‘an is similar to that in Beijing.
- What to Pack: Bring light clothing, like light jacket, shorts and T-shirt. Remember to bring rain gear.
East China in June
- Representative Cities: Shanghai, Huangshan, Nanjing, Hangzhou
- Weather Feature: In June, there is more rainfall in east China with higher temperature, but it is not as hot as in July and August. The average temperature of Shanghai in June is 20-28°C, with about 22 days of rainfall. Most of the rain in Shanghai falls in the second half of the month. The situation in Suzhou and Hangzhou is similar to that in Shanghai.
- What to Pack: Shorts, T-shirt and other summer clothes are needed. Prepare a jacket for the evenings, and remember to bring rain gear.
Central China in June
- Representative Cities: Wuhan, Changsha, Nanchang, Zhangjiajie
- Weather Feature: June is one of the wettest months in the Yangtze River Basin. High temperature and humidity means that this area is sweltering. The average temperature in Changsha and Wuhan in June is about 22-30°C. However, places with higher altitudes, such as the mountains near Zhangjiajie, are cooler and suitable for avoiding summer heat.
- What to Pack: Shorts, T-shirt and other light clothes are adequate. Remember to bring rain gear.
South China in June
- Representative Cities: Guilin, Guangzhou, Sanya, Hong Kong, Macau, Shenzhen
- Weather Feature: Cities in south China have more rainfall than other regions. Take Guilin as an example, the average temperature is 25-31°C, with an average of 16 days of rainfall. Hong Kong and Guangzhou are very hot, with more rainstorms and tropical storms than Guilin. You can enjoy these south cities before a large number of tourists arrive in July.
- What to Pack: Shorts, T-shirt and other light clothes are adequate. Due to strong humidity, you can bring quick-dry clothes. Remember to bring rain gear.
West China in June
- Representative Cities: Chengdu, Kunming, Lhasa, Chongqing
- Weather Feature: Generally speaking, west China has less rainfall. Whether the weather is cold or warm depends on the altitude. Tourism in mountains and valleys benefits from pleasant weather. The average temperature in June is 11-23°C in Lhasa, 20-28°C in Chengdu, 18-26°C in Kunming and 16-25°C in Lijiang. June is the beginning of a mild monsoon, July and August have more rainfall and tourists.
- What to Pack: If you go to high altitude areas such as Tibet and Shangri-La, you need to wear light pants/jeans, with sweaters/light jackets, hats and other anti-ultraviolet equipment, and bring rain gear. You also need to bring a warm coat. In places with higher temperatures such as Chengdu and Kunming, summer clothes such as T-shirts and shorts are sufficient.
China Weather and Climate in June by Cities
- Hong Kong
- Mount Tai
Best Places to Visit in June
The weather in China became hotter in June. However, in some northern areas or plateau areas, it is mild enough, and suitable for travel. June is a beautiful time to visit places famous for flowers and nature, such as Hangzhou, Yunnan, Huangshan and Guilin. Schools have classes in early June, so you can still avoid the summer vacation travel season, when many major tourist destinations are crowded.
June is still a good time to visit the Great Wall in Beijing. Compared with the peak of summer vacation, the city is less crowded in June. The mountains are decorated with blooming flowers, and leaves turn dark green. For Chinese tourists, pilgrimage to the Great Wall is essential. The Great Wall is a dragon that twists and turns along the northern border, crossing deserts, grasslands and mountains. When hiking in June, you should get enough water, wear ventilated sport shoes, and protect yourself from strong sunlight.
- 1 Day Beijing City Group Tour with Tian’an Men Square, Forbidden City and Mutianyu Great Wall
- 2 Days Beijing Highlights Tour with Beijing Roast Duck and Kong Fu Show
- 3 Days Beijing Highlights Tour
- 4 Days Best Beijing City Tour
- 5 Beijing City Tour
- 4 Days Great Walls Hiking and Camping Tour: Huanghuacheng, Xishuiyu, Jiankou, Mutianyu, Gubeikou, and Jinshanling Great Wall
- 5 Days Great Walls Hiking and Camping Tour: Huanghuacheng, Xishuiyu, Jiankou, Mutianyu, Gubeikou, Jinshanling, and Simatai Great Wall
- 7 Days Beijing Great Wall Hiking Tour
- 8 Days Beijing Great Wall Hiking Tour
- 8 Days Beijing-Xian-Shanghai Small Group Tour
- 8 Days Beijing-Xian-Shanghai Tour by Speed Train
Xi’an is one of the best tourist destinations in China in June. The soldiers and horses unearthed from Terracotta Warriors are unique. It is interesting to ride a bicycle on the Ancient City Wall. Visit the Muslim quarter to taste local snacks, watch a wonderful musical fountain performance in the north square of the Dayan pagoda, or visit the Tang Paradise, all of which will make your Xi’an nightlife colorful and unforgettable.
- 1 Day Xian Terracotta Warriors and Everlasting Sorrow Performance Tour
- 1 Day The Yellow River’s Hukou Waterfalls Tour from Xian
- 2 Days Huashan Mountain Hiking Tour
- 2 Days Huashan Mountain Hiking Tour
- 2 Days Xian Highlights Tour
- 3 Days Best Xian City Tour
- 4 Days Xian Culture Tour with Mt. Huashan Mountain
- 5 Days Xian City Discovery with Huashan Mountain
Different from other seasons, West Lake, a must-see attraction in Hangzhou, is covered with water lilies, lotus flowers and green lotus leaves. June is not the hottest month in Hangzhou. Because of the rain, June is cooler than July and August, it is more comfortable to cruise on the West Lake. Besides the West Lake, you can also go to Lingyin Temple, Pagoda of Six Harmonies, Xixi National Wetland Park, Meijiawu Tea Plantation, etc.
- 1 Day Hangzhou Tour to Xixi National Wetland Park, West Lake Cruise and Dragon Well Tea Plantation
- 1 Day Hangzhou City Tour to Lingyin Temple, Flying Peak, Dragon Well Tea Plantation, West Lake and Tiger Spring
- 1 Day Hangzhou Classic Tour with Su Causeway, West Lake, Dragon Well Tea Plantation, Six Harmony Pagoda and Hefang Street
- 2 Days Hangzhou City Highlights Tour
- 5 Days Hangzhou and Huangshan Tour by Speed Train
- 6 Days Shanghai-Suzhou-Hangzhou Tour by Speed Train
- 7 Days Shanghai-Hangzhou and Mount Huangshan Tour by Speed Train
Guilin is hot with heavy rain in June, but with an umbrella, you can still enjoy your time on the scenic spots and Lijiang River. Li River cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo is as popular as Yangtze River cruise. Li River is like a green ribbon, interwoven among mountains, ancient towns and folk villages. After arriving in Yangshuo, you can enjoy the country scenery by bike. If you want to get close to the water, it is highly recommended to drift on the Yulong River. In addition, Guilin’s landscape tour would not be complete without going to Longji Rice Terraces, where you can experience the rich and colorful minority cultures and enjoy the amazing sunrise and sunset.
- 1 Day Longsheng Rice Terraces and Ethnic Minority Culture Tour
- 1 Day Guilin Li River Cruise Tour
- 1 Day Guilin Li River Cruise Group Tour
- 1 Day Guilin Longji Rice Terraces Group Tour
- 1 Day Guilin Li River Hiking Tour
- 3 Days Guilin and Yangshuo Highlights Tour
- 3 Days Guilin and Yangshuo Tour with Li River Cruise and Daxu Ancient Town
- 4 Days Guilin and Yangshuo Tour
- 5 Day Guilin and Yangshuo Tour with Huangyao Ancient Town
- 6 Days Guilin, Longsheng, Sanjiang, Yangshuo Ethnic Minority Tour
The temperature in Chengdu is suitable both during the day and at night. Chengdu is the hometown of famous spicy hot pot and giant panda. Watching and hugging giant pandas at close range is a unique experience and a highlight of many Chinese tours. Eating hot pot and other snacks in Chengdu is a must. Besides this city, you can also visit some scenic spots around Chengdu, such as Leshan Giant Buddha, Jiuzhaigou, Huanglong, etc.
- 1 Day Dujiangyan Panda Holding Tour from Chengdu
- 1 Day Chengdu Panda and Leshan Giant Buddha Tour
- 1 Day Mount Emei Tour by High-speed Train from Chengdu
- 1 Day Chengdu Panda & Guanghan Sanxingdui Tour
- 1 Day Chengdu Panda and Leshan Giant Buddha Group Tour
- 2 Days Chengdu Giant Panda, Leshan Giant Buddha & Mount Emei Group Tour by High Speed Bullet Train
- 3 Days Mount Emei Classic Hiking Tour
Visit Jiuzhaigou National Park, where there are blue lakes, waterfalls, green forests, snow-capped mountains, and you will have opportunity to get in touch with Tibetans and Qiang people. It will be an amazing and pleasant journey. Huanglong National Scenic Reserve is famous for its colorful waters, hot springs and snowy mountains, and is also worth exploring.
- 3 Days Jiuzhaigou Valley & Huanglong National Park Local Tour
- 4 Days Jiuzhaigou & Huanglong National Park Bus Tour
- 5 Days Jiuzhaigou, Huanglong and Songpan Tour
- 5 Day Chengdu and Jiuzhaigou Highlights Tour
- 6 Days Jiuzhaigou, Huanglong, Langmusi Monastery and Ruoergai Grassland Tour
- 7 Days Jiuzhaigou and Giant Pandas Tour with Mount Emei
- 8 Days Nianbaoyuze Trekking and Langmusi Ruoergai Jiuzhaigou Tour
- 9 Days Sichuan World Heritages Tour
June is the most attractive season in Xinjiang. At the foot of Tianshan Mountain in Huocheng of Ili, a large area of purple and blue lavender flowers are in full bloom. You can explore the charming lake or visit the Jiaohe Ancient Town. Kanas is characterized by lakes, rivers, glaciers, forests and grasslands. You can also taste Xinjiang food, including roasted mutton shashlik, Nang Cake and roasted whole sheep.
- 1 Day Urumqi City Tour with Heavenly Lake and Grand Bazaar
- 2 Days Turpan Tour
- 4 Days Kashgar Tour
- 4 Days Urumqi City Tour
- 4 Day Kanas Lake Dream Tour
- 7 Days Northern Xinjiang Tour with Kanas Lake Adventure
- 7 Days Xinjiang Highlights Tour
- 9 Days Xinjiang Kanas Lake and Hemu Trekking Tour
June is the peak tourist season in Tibet. Almost all scenic spots in Tibet are opened. In June, Tibet is less visited, but the scenery is good and the weather is awesome.
- Shannan and Nyingchi in the southeast of Tibet is characterized by varied topography, mainly river valley and dense vegetation. June is a good time to visit mountains and rivers in Tibet.
- Lhasa and Shigatse in central Tibet are very comfortable in June. People will not feel hot when visiting monasteries, palaces and other attractions with high flow of people. Even if you spend a long time outdoors, you will not feel too sunburnt. Namtso Lake and Mount Everest are popular among tourists.
- In Ngari and Nagqu with higher elevation, the weather in June can be described as warm, the feeling of early spring, slightly cold, and the time when wildlife activities increase. The probability of seeing wild animals is greater.
Note: Mount Everest means high altitude and is prone to altitude reaction, so move slowly and do not do strenuous exercise. In addition, due to strong ultraviolet rays and huge temperature difference between day and night, tourists must keep warm and prepare suncream and other sunscreen products.
- 4 Days Lhasa Impression Small Group Tour
- 5 Days Lhasa Group Tour with Samye Monastery
- 5 Days Lhasa Small Group Tour with Three Major Monasteries
- 5 Days Lhasa and Yamdrok Lake Small Group Tour
- 6 Days Lhasa and Lake Namtso Small Group Tour
- 7 Days Tibet Adventure Tour to Everest Base Camp
- 8 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp Small Group Tour
- 9 Days Tibet Culture Tour with Mount Everest Base Camp
- 8 Days Central Tibet and Namtso Small Group Tour
- 10 Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp and Namtso Lake Small Group Tour
Yunnan is one of the most suitable places to visit in June in China. Lugu Lake and Erhai Lake are favorable places to enjoy the lake scenery. In addition, you can also visit nearby villages to learn about local traditions and customs. Or you can step into the Lijiang Old Town or Dali Ancient Town, hike in Tiger Leaping Gorge and Niru Village to feel the nature. Tiger Leaping Gorge is famous for its ruggedness and majesty, and is very popular with enthusiastic hikers.
Yunnan Classic Tours
- 9 Days Kunming Dali Lijiang and Shangri-La Classic Tour with Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Adventure
- 10 Days Yunnan Classic Tour with the Upper Yangtze River Rafting Tour
- 10 Days Best Yunnan Classic Tour with Dianhong Black Tea Culture Tour
- 10 Days Yunnan Classic Tour with Dongchuan Red Land Photography
- 11 Days Yunnan Classic Tour with Meili Snow Mountain Pilgrimage
- 11 Days Yunnan Classic Tour: XishuangBanna-Shangrila-Lijiang-Dali-Kunming
- 12 Days Yunnan Classic Tour with Meili Snow Mountain and Lugu Lake Pilgrimage
Yunnan Hiking Tours
- 2 Days Jiaozi Snow Mountain Hiking Tour
- 2 Days Dali Pilgrimage Hiking Tour from Erhai Lake to Jizu Mountain
- 2 Days Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Group Tour
- 2 Days Tiger Leaping Gorge Trekking Tour
- 3 Days Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Tour
- 4 Days Haba Snow Mountain Climbing Adventure with Tiger Leaping Gorge Tour
- 7 Days Lijiang Trekking Tour around Tiger Leaping Gorge and Jade Dragon Snow Mountain
- 7 Days Shangri-La Meili Snow Mountain and Yubeng Village Trekking Tour
- 10 Days Shangri-La Hiking Tour with Tiger Leaping Gorge and Niru Alpine Pasture
Read More: How to Plan Yunnan Hiking Tour
China Festivals and Events by Month
The traditional Chinese festival called the Dragon Boat Festival usually falls in June. There will be dragon boat racing and special rice dumplings to enjoy.
Note: Although Dragon Boat Festival is a public holiday in China, people do not travel far and wide like Spring Festival and National Day. You don’t have to worry too much about crowded people and stagnant public transportation. During the Dragon Boat Festival, there are many activities all over China.