China Travel in November
China Travel in November will introduce the China weather in November, what to pack for China travel in November, best places to visit in November, festivals in November and travel tips. November is still the autumn in most parts of China, but for north China and high altitude areas, it is the beginning of winter. It can be an ideal time to travel in China after the tourist peak season and before the cold winter comes.
China Weather in November
The weather in November in China is changeable. Because China is a big country, you can find the weather is very different in every region. In late November, real cold temperatures begin to appear in north China, but there is still enough temperature for pleasant outdoor activities at the beginning of the month. The central and southern regions of China still have mild and comfortable temperatures, which are suitable for sightseeing and outdoor exploration.
China Weather in November By Region & What to Pack
Due to China’s vast territory, different regions have different weather. The following is the weather situation in major regions of China in November.
North China in November
- Representative Cities: Beijing, Xian, Harbin, Changchun, Jinan, Shenyang, Tianjin
- Weather Feature: In November, north China begins to enter winter, with a cool and clear weather. The weather in Beijing is very cool, and the temperature at night is usually above zero. The average temperature in November in Beijing is 0-10°C, with very little precipitation. Beijing and the mountains in the north, where the Great Wall is located, will welcome their first snowfall. Xi’an is slightly warmer than Beijing, with an average temperature of 4-13°C. Xi’an is still pleasant and sunny on most days of the month, good for traveling and shopping.
- What to Pack: November is cold at night. Coat, long sleeve, trousers, gloves and hat are needed. You can also prepare a sweater for colder weather.
East China in November
- Representative Cities: Shanghai, Huangshan, Nanjing, Hangzhou
- Weather Feature: East China is usually cool/warm during the daytimes and cooler at nights, and the temperature is much higher than freezing point. Cool and dry weather is very suitable for hiking. The average temperature in November in Shanghai is 9-17℃. The weather in autumn in Shanghai is usually pleasant, and there may be fog in the morning. But a cold snap may bring cold winds and bitter weather.
- What to Pack: Jacket, light clothing and hat are fine to the weather. It is suggested to bring a warm coat for a drop in temperature.
Central China in November
- Representative Cities: Wuhan, Changsha, Nanchang, Zhangjiajie
- Weather Feature: In November, the temperature along the Yangtze River drops obviously, but it is still relatively comfortable. The average low temperature is still above zero. The mountains around Zhangjiajie is relatively low in temperature.
- What to Pack: It is cool and windy in central China, so it is recommended to wear a long sleeves, trousers and jacket, and prepare a warm coat.
South China in November
- Representative Cities: Guilin, Guangzhou, Sanya, Hong Kong, Macau, Shenzhen
- Weather Feature: The temperature in south China is about 20℃ during the daytime. There will be some rain in November, so it won’t be too dry. The average temperature of Guilin in November is about 11-19°C. Hong Kong enjoys a mild weather, with little rainfall and plenty of sunshine. It is an ideal place for outdoor activities, sightseeing and shopping on the streets.
- What to Pack: The weather in this area is changeable. The weather is usually warm, but sometimes it gets cold unexpectedly. You need to wear light clothing and prepare long sleeves, trousers and jacket.
West China in November
- Representative Cities: Chengdu, Kunming, Lhasa, Chongqing
- Weather Feature: In high altitude areas of west China, the temperature drops significantly, the weather becomes cold, and the ground begins to be covered with snow. There is usually no rainy day in November, and the mountain is cold and snowing. Rainfall also varies greatly. The average temperature in Lhasa is in the range of -3-15°C, and it is usually completely sunny in November. The average temperature in Urumqi is-8-0°C and Chengdu is 9-17°C. In Yunnan Province, Dali and Kunming are cool with occasional rainfall. However, the night in Lijiang is very cold and the temperature is just over zero.
- What to Pack: Take winter clothes, such as sweaters and thermal underwear, and take a coat wherever you go. If you go to Tibet, put on more layers of clothes and wear sunglasses, pay attention to keeping warm.
China Weather and Climate in November by Cities
- Hong Kong
- Mount Tai
Best Places to Visit in November
November in autumn is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful months in China. Tourists can enjoy the red leaves on the Great Wall and stroll through the ancient towns in Yunnan. In addition, Guilin’s natural scenery, Hangzhou’s West Lake, Suzhou’s classical gardens and Fujian Tulou should not be missed.
November is a good time to visit the Great Wall and see the colorful autumn leaves on the mountain. In November after the peak tourist season, fewer crowd will visit the Forbidden City and other attractions in Beijing. The ancient red wall buildings and the golden leaves in parks and the suburbs of Beijing make the whole city more charming and elegant.
- 2 Days Beijing Highlights Tour with Beijing Roast Duck and Kong Fu Show
- 3 Days Beijing Highlights Tour
- 4 Days Best Beijing City Tour
- 5 Beijing City Tour
Badaling Great Wall
As one of the best tourist attractions in Beijing in November, Badaling Great Wall attracts many tourists, not only because of its magnificent structure, but also because of its sea of red leaves. When entering late autumn, most of the trees near Badaling Great Wall become crimson and golden, which is very spectacular.
- 4 Days Great Walls Hiking and Camping Tour: Huanghuacheng, Xishuiyu, Jiankou, Mutianyu, Gubeikou, and Jinshanling Great Wall
- 5 Days Great Walls Hiking and Camping Tour: Huanghuacheng, Xishuiyu, Jiankou, Mutianyu, Gubeikou, Jinshanling, and Simatai Great Wall
- 7 Days Beijing Great Wall Hiking Tour
- 8 Days Beijing Great Wall Hiking Tour
Read More: Great Wall Hiking Tours
Autumn in Huangshan is colorful. The magnificent mountain is covered with red maple trees and dotted with golden fruits under white clouds and blue sky. November is the ideal season for climbing Yellow Mountain, because the weather is cool during the daytime, but the temperature is low at night. Remember to bring a warm coat. If you like outdoor activities, you can take a tent and stay overnight on the mountain, then wake up at about 4:30 in the morning to enjoy the wonderful sunrise. Besides the natural scenery of Huangshan, you can also be deeply impressed by the culture and ancient buildings of the folk villages near Huangshan, such as the famous Hongcun Ancient Village and Tunxi Ancient Street.
- 2 Days Mount Huangshan Tour
- 2 Days Huangshan Tour (Overnight in the Summit of Yellow Mountain)
- 3 Days Yellow Mountain Hiking Tour
- 4 Days Huangshan Photography Tour (One Night On The Top of Yellow Mountain)
- 4 Days Best Huangshan Tour
In November, Zhangjiajie becomes a romantic and poetic world shrouded in fog. The steep cliffs and the plants on the mountain are more beautiful. The mountains in Zhangjiajie are different from other mountains in China in that the mountains in Zhangjiajie are divided into small cliffs. In addition, you can also visit the Fenghuang Ancient Town nearby. Fenghuang Ancient Town is a beautiful town near the mountain and by the water. It is famous for its natural beauty, unique wooden structure and colorful ethnic customs, especially Miao and Tujia.
- 3 Days Zhangjiajie National Forest Park Tour
- 3 Days Zhangjiajie Avatar Tour
- 4 Days Zhangjiajie Classic Tour with White Water Rafting Adventure
- 5 Days Zhangjiajie Highlights Tour
- 6 Day Classic Zhangjiajie & Fenghuang Tour
- 7 Days Hunan Highlights Tour to Changsha, Zhangjiajie, Fenghuang, Changde
Jiuzhaigou’s different colors in the four seasons are really beautiful. Jiuzhaigou in autumn is magnificent and colorful. Under the bright blue sky, colorful plants are reflected on the crystal-clear lake. You can walk along the path through Jiuzhaigou’s dense forests. At the end of November, winter begins in Jiuzhaigou.
- 3 Days Jiuzhaigou Valley & Huanglong National Park Local Tour
- 4 Days Jiuzhaigou & Huanglong National Park Bus Tour
- 5 Days Jiuzhaigou, Huanglong and Songpan Tour
- 7 Days Jiuzhaigou and Giant Pandas Tour with Mount Emei
It is exciting to go hiking in the west of Sichuan province in autumn. It is one of the most popular hiking routes in China. Starting from Chengdu, it passes through Xinduqiao, Yading and Daocheng to reach Luding Bridge. This route can really explore the nature in southwest China. During the trip, you can see amazing autumn scenery and snow-covered mountains under the blue sky. Apart from Tibet, Tibetan culture is also a highlight in western Sichuan. You can also visit some ancient monasteries and Tibetan houses there.
- 2 Days Daocheng Yading Hiking Tour
- 4 Days Daocheng Yading Nature Reserve Tour by Flight
- 8 Days Chengdu Daocheng Yading Adventure Tour
- 13 Days Yunnan and Sichuan Trekking Tour from Lugu Lake to Daocheng and Yading Nature Reserve
November is a good time to visit Lijiang and Dali. You can not only enjoy the ancient buildings, but also enjoy some local snacks and explore the life of the local people. Bird watching in Kunming’s Dianchi Lake is also a good choice for bird lovers. In addition, you can also enjoy colorful leaves all over Yunnan, such as ginkgo leaves in Tengchong.
- 4 Days Best Kunming City Tour with The Stone Forest
- 4 Days Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Group Tour
- 6 Days Kunming-Dali-Lijiang Tour
- 7 Days Kunming, Lijiang and Shangri-la Highlights Tour by Bullet Train
- 8 Days Yunnan Classic Tour by High Speed Bullet Train
- 8 Days Best Yunnan Small Group Tour-Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Shangri-La
Read More: Yunnan Travel in November
Guilin is famous for its natural scenery and picturesque Li River. In November, apart from visiting such classic scenic spots as elephant trunk mountain, Yangshuo and Reed Flute Cave, Lijiang river cruise shouldn’t be missed. In addition, Haiyang Town has a large area of yellow ginkgo leaves, which can undoubtedly attract your attention.
- 3 Days Guilin and Yangshuo Highlights Tour
- 4 Days Guilin and Yangshuo Tour
- 5 Day Guilin and Yangshuo Tour with Huangyao Ancient Town
- 6 Days Guilin, Longsheng, Sanjiang, Yangshuo Ethnic Minority Tour
Suzhou and Hangzhou
When it comes to the best tourist destinations in China in November, Suzhou and Hangzhou are definitely on the list. West Lake is the essence of Hangzhou. It is very pleasant to go boating on the lake and immerse yourself in the autumn scenery. Classical gardens, including the Humble Administrator’s Garden and the Lingering Garden, are a must for Suzhou. Exquisite layout, exquisite design, unique rockery and winding corridor form all kinds of classical gardens, making people feel like they are in Chinese painting. In addition, ancient water towns such as Wuzhen, Zhouzhuang and Tongli are also good places to appreciate traditional buildings in the south of the Yangtze River.
Suzhou City Highlight Tours
- 1 Day Suzhou Gardens Highlight Tour
- 1 Day Suzhou Tour with Rickshaw Riding
- 2 Days Suzhou Gardens Highlights Tour
- 4 Days Suzhou Gardens and Zhouzhuang Water Town Tour
Hangzhou City Highlight Tours
- 1 Day Hangzhou Tour to Xixi National Wetland Park, West Lake Cruise and Dragon Well Tea Plantation
- 1 Day Hangzhou City Tour to Lingyin Temple, Flying Peak, Dragon Well Tea Plantation, West Lake and Tiger Spring
- 1 Day Hangzhou Classic Tour with Su Causeway, West Lake, Dragon Well Tea Plantation, Six Harmony Pagoda and Hefang Street
- 2 Days Hangzhou City Highlights Tour
- 6 Days Shanghai-Suzhou-Hangzhou Tour by Speed Train
- 6 Days Nanjing Suzhou Hangzhou Shanghai Tour
- 8 Days Shanghai-Suzhou-Wuzhen-Hangzhou-Wuyuan-Huangshan Tour by Bullet Train
Xiamen, as the largest city in Fujian Province, is a beautiful coastal city and one of the most suitable places for tourism in November in China. Gulangyu Island is a pearl in Xiamen. It features various styles of buildings, such as the former consulates of western countries and traditional buildings with Minnan characteristics. Another highlight that should not be missed is Fujian earth buildings. Fujian now has more than 23,000 earth buildings of more than 30 kinds, including round buildings, square buildings, pentagonal buildings, octagonal buildings and stilted buildings. In addition, Mount Wuyi is a bit cold in November, but it is worth enjoying the picturesque scenery on foot.
Xiamen City Tours
- 1 Day Xiamen City & Gulang Yu Island Tour
- Xiamen Gulangyu Island Half-day tour
- 4 Days Xiamen City and Fujian Tulou Tour
Fujian Tulou Tours
- 1 Day Fujian Tulou Tour to Nanjing and Yongding
- 2 Days Fujian Tulou Tour to Nanjing and Yongding (Stay in Hukeng Town)
- 3 Days Fujian Tulou In-depth Tour
- 4 Days Fujian Tulou Cycling Tour from Xiamen
Mount Wuyi Tours
- 1 Day Wuyishan Tour to Xiamei Ancient Village and Nine Bend Stream
- 3 Days Wuyishan Tour
- 4 Days Wuyishan Tour
- 5 Days Fujian Province Adoption Heritage Tour
- 5 Days Fujian Highlights Tour with Fujian Tulou and Wuyishan Mountain
- 8 Days Fujian Discovery Tour
China Festivals and Events by Month
In November, the main festivals and events in China include Lhabab Duchen Festival, Palden Lhamo Festival, China International Import Expo, etc. American holidays like Halloween and Thanksgivin are not recognized as local Chinese traditions.
Travel Tips For China Travel in November
- The comfortable weather and sunshine in the south are very suitable for outdoor activities, sightseeing, traveling and shopping. November is the off-season for tourism in China, so tourists can benefit from the drop in prices.
- You can also enjoy the amazing autumn scenery in many places. You can see the colors of autumn around the Great Wall, Huangshan Mountain and Yangtze River. Red, gold, yellow and brown create amazing scenery in November. In this dry season, the sky is usually clear. You’d better visit China before snow falls.
- The biggest disadvantage of November is that if you plan to travel to north China, even Beijing, the later you enter north China in November, you will definitely experience some rather cold and winter-like weather. It may even be too cold to stay on top of the windy Great Wall for too long.
- The best places to appreciate autumn leaves include Huangshan, Zhangjiajie, Jiuzhaigou and western Sichuan.