China Travel in April
China Travel in April will introduce the China weather in April, what to pack for China travel in April, best places to visit in April and festivals in April. In April, the atmosphere of spring pervades most parts of China, which may be a good time to visit China. China is the most populous country in the world, with a population of nearly 1.5 billion. Scenic spots during peak seasons and holidays are very crowded. The advantage of April is that there are fewer holidays and the school is still in class, so you can avoid a large number of domestic tourists.
China Weather in April
In April, for most parts in China, the weather gets warmer during the daytime and stays cool at night. Strong humidity has not yet begun, so April is a good time for outdoor activities and crossing most parts of the country, although it is still cold in the northernmost areas and mountainous areas. The main disadvantage of April travel is that you may meet a rainy season in southern China. The rainy season will shift to northern China before summer.
Cities in north China, such as Beijing and Xi’an, will be very comfortable for outdoor sightseeing. The weather in central China is basically the same as March, warm but humid. In the south, the weather is getting warmer and warmer. In some southern areas, the daytime temperature can reach 80°F, about 26℃. It rains more in central and southern China, so bring your rain gear.
China Weather in April By Region & What to Pack
China is one of the countries with the largest area in the world. The climate in China can vary greatly from place to place.
North China in April
- Representative Cities: Beijing, Xian, Harbin, Changchun, Jinan, Shenyang, Tianjin
- Weather Feature: In north China, it is warm during the day and cold at night. There is still not much rainfall in April. So it is a good time for hiking and other outdoor activities. In Beijing, the average temperature range is 8-20℃ in April, with about 4 days of rainfall. Plants and trees turn green, which is a good time to enjoy the spring scenery. The weather in Xi’an is similar to that in Beijing. Cities farther north, like Harbin, have lower temperatures.
- What to Pack: It will be warm during the day but chilly at night. You may be able to wear light pants, t-shirts, light sweater and jacket during the daytime, but warmer coat is needed for cold night.
East China in April
- Representative Cities: Shanghai, Huangshan, Nanjing, Hangzhou
- Weather Feature: The weather in East China is changeable in April. It can be cool and humid, or warm and sunny. The average temperature in April in Shanghai is 11-19℃, with about 9 days of rain. The temperature may reach 30℃ in late April.
- What to Pack: T-shirt, trousers and sweater are needed for the daytime. It is necessary to add coats in mountainous areas and at night, which are preferably waterproof.
Central China in April
- Representative Cities: Wuhan, Changsha, Nanchang
- Weather Feature: It’s mild, warm and dry in central China in April.
- What to Pack: T-shirt, light pants or shorts, light sweater, with a light coat or waterproof coat for evening or rainy days.
South China in April
- Representative Cities: Guilin, Guangzhou, Sanya, Hong Kong, Macau, Shenzhen
- Weather Feature: South China is already very warm in April, which is a good time for spring outing. It may be very hot in late April, so bring light clothes. Guilin has an average temperature range of 17-24℃ in April, with an average of 22 days of rain. On rainy days, the weather will be a little cold. In Hong Kong, the weather in April is pleasant and warm, even at night. It may even be hot and wet during the daytime.
- What to Pack: Shorts, T-shirts, light sweater and trousers are enough. Remember to bring rain gear.
West China in April
- Representative Cities: Chengdu, Kunming, Lhasa, Chongqing
- Weather Feature: April is not a good time to travel to Urumqi because there are often sandstorms. The weather in Xinjiang is dry and cloudy, and it is still very cold. Tibet and Yunnan are worth a visit. West China in April is usually sunny except in the mountains. It is likely to rain in the afternoon, with small amount of rainfall. The temperature drops in rainy days. In April, the average temperature is about 3-17°C in Lhasa, 13-22°C in Chengdu, and 18-25°C in Kunming.
- What to Pack: If you want to go to Everest base camp, sweater, warm pants and windproof jacket/down jacket are essential. In Yunnan, you are supposed to take long-sleeved clothes, sweater and light coat with you, even on the hottest days as there will be large temperature difference between day and night. Moreover, an umbrella is useful on both sunny and occasional rainy days.
China Weather and Climate in April by Cities
- Hong Kong
- Mount Tai
Best Places to Visit in April
April is one of the best times to visit China. The weather is comfortable and pleasant, neither too cold nor too hot. Tourists can go to the water towns near Shanghai or go to Zhangjiajie for a spring tour, enjoy various peony flowers in Luoyang, explore profound Chinese history in Xi’an or take pictures in paradise Shangri-la, etc. In April, light rain begins to fall in many places, especially in south China. However, the drizzle makes the air fresher in spring.
Beijing’s rainy season has not yet come in April, coulped with there are fewer tourists in April than that in peak season, so April is a good time to travel in Beijing. Tourists can visit famous scenic spots in Beijing, such as Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace, the Great Wall and Ming Tombs, and feel the old Beijing culture in Hutongs.
- 1 Day Beijing City Group Tour with Tian’an Men Square, Forbidden City and Mutianyu Great Wall
- 2 Days Beijing Highlights Tour with Beijing Roast Duck and Kong Fu Show
- 3 Days Beijing Highlights Tour
- 4 Days Best Beijing City Tour
- 5 Beijing City Tour
- 7 Days Beijing Great Wall Hiking Tour
- 8 Days Beijing Great Wall Hiking Tour
- 8 Days Beijing-Xian-Shanghai Small Group Tour
- 8 Days Beijing-Xian-Shanghai Tour by Speed Train
Shanghai is one of the largest cities in China and one of the best places to visit in April. Visitors can stroll along the Bund, appreciate the two completely different architectural styles on both sides of the Bund, visit the former French Concession, and experience the unique tranquility and comfort of modern and busy Shanghai. Visit the Yu Garden and appreciate the exquisite decoration of this traditional Chinese garden. After that, you can also go to Zhujiajiao, Qibao, Zhouzhuang, Tongli and other water towns around Shanghai to enjoy the life on water.
- 1 Day Shanghai Group Tour with Zhujiajiao Ancient Town and Huangpu River Cruise
- 1 Day Suzhou Garden Group Tour from Shanghai
- 1 Day Zhouzhuang Water Town Tour from Shanghai
- 3 Days Shanghai Highlights Tour
- 4 Days Shanghai City Tour with Xitang Water Town Exploration
- 4 Days Shanghai City Tour
- 6 Days Beijing Shanghai Tour
- 10 Days Beijing-Xian-Shanghai-Mount Huangshan Small Group Tour
- 11 Days Beijing Xian Guilin Shanghai Tour
Xi’an was once the capital of many dynasties, which left many historical relics. The mild weather in April can make you more comfortable to visit Terracotta Warriors, ride bicycles on the ancient city wall, climb the Huashan mountain, and visit other Tang dynasty historical sites like Huaqing Hot Spring.
- 1 Day Xian Terracotta Warriors and Everlasting Sorrow Performance Tour
- 1 Day The Yellow River’s Hukou Waterfalls Tour from Xian
- 2 Days Huashan Mountain Hiking Tour
- 2 Days Huashan Mountain Hiking Tour
- 2 Days Xian Highlights Tour
- 3 Days Best Xian City Tour
- 4 Days Xian Culture Tour with Mt. Huashan Mountain
- 5 Days Xian City Discovery with Huashan Mountain
The profound historical culture, green trees, fresh air and quiet atmosphere make Hangzhou a comfortable place to live. Walking along the West Lake and enjoying the blooming tulips is very pleasant. In April, Longjing tea from Meijiawu Tea Garden enters the picking season. There, you can see a group of girls picking tea on the hillside, which is covered by rows of green tea. In addition, you can go to Wuzhen and Xitang water town to experience the culture and customs of the water towns in the south of Yangtze River.
- 1 Day Hangzhou Tour to Xixi National Wetland Park, West Lake Cruise and Dragon Well Tea Plantation
- 1 Day Hangzhou City Tour to Lingyin Temple, Flying Peak, Dragon Well Tea Plantation, West Lake and Tiger Spring
- 1 Day Hangzhou Classic Tour with Su Causeway, West Lake, Dragon Well Tea Plantation, Six Harmony Pagoda and Hefang Street
- 2 Days Hangzhou City Highlights Tour
- 5 Days Hangzhou and Huangshan Tour by Speed Train
- 6 Days Shanghai-Suzhou-Hangzhou Tour by Speed Train
- 7 Days Shanghai-Hangzhou and Mount Huangshan Tour by Speed Train
Because there is a saying in China that “Up in heaven there is a paradise. Down on earth there are Suzhou and Hangzhou”, people always compare Suzhou with Hangzhou. Suzhou is famous for its traditional Chinese gardens. Suzhou’s gardens bring together the essence of traditional Chinese gardens. Famous gardens in Suzhou include Humble Administrator’s Garden, Lingering Garden, Garden of Harmony and Lion Grove. There are also several ancient water towns near Suzhou, including Zhouzhuang water town and Jinxi ancient town, where you can enjoy ancient bridges and classical buildings of Ming and Qing styles. Spring is the best time to travel to Suzhou because of its mild climate and beautiful scenery. April is the middle of spring in Suzhou. The plants in the gardens are luxuriant and full of vitality.
- 1 Day Suzhou Gardens Highlight Tour
- 1 Day Suzhou Tour with Rickshaw Riding
- 1 Day Zhouzhuang Water Town Tour from Shanghai
- 1 Day Zhouzhuang and Tongli Water Towns Tour
- 1 Day Suzhou Garden and Zhouzhuang Water Town Group Tour from Shanghai
- 2 Days Suzhou Gardens Highlights Tour
- 4 Days Suzhou Gardens and Zhouzhuang Water Town Tour
April is the beginning of the high flow period of Lijiang River. There is a large temperature difference between day and night. You need to prepare a coat, a sweater and a T-shirt. Take a boat tour on the Lijiang River and you can see the essence of Guilin’s karst landscape, with grotesque mountains and clear water. In addition, rape flowers along the Yulong River in Yangshuo are already in full bloom in April. You can travel along the Yulong River by bike or by bamboo raft, to feel Yangshuo’s pastoral scenery.
- 1 Day Longsheng Rice Terraces and Ethnic Minority Culture Tour
- 1 Day Guilin Li River Cruise Tour
- 1 Day Guilin Li River Cruise Group Tour
- 1 Day Guilin Longji Rice Terraces Group Tour
- 1 Day Guilin Li River Hiking Tour
- 3 Days Guilin and Yangshuo Highlights Tour
- 3 Days Guilin and Yangshuo Tour with Li River Cruise and Daxu Ancient Town
Zhangjiajie is the best place to travel and take photos in April in China. The karst forest peaks filmed in the movie Avatar will never disappoint you. Mountain peaks and mountains are nature’s miraculous masterpieces, making Zhangjiajie a miniature bonsai. Tourists can also challenge themselves at Zhangjiajie glass bridge, which is the longest and tallest glass bridge in the world and can have a bird’s eye view of the grand canyon.
- 1 Day Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge Tour
- 1 Day Zhangjiajie Tianmen Mountain Tour
- 1 Day Zhangjiajie National Park Tour
- 3 Days Zhangjiajie National Forest Park Tour
- 3 Days Zhangjiajie Hidden Wonders Tour
- 3 Days Zhangjiajie Avatar Tour
- 4 Days Zhangjiajie Classic Tour with White Water Rafting Adventure
- 5 Days Zhangjiajie Highlights Tour
Luoyang in April is a paradise for peony lovers. Luoyang holds peony cultural festival every year. Thousands of acres of peony are in full bloom. Visitors can appreciate various kinds of peony flowers here. There is also a peony lantern festival in the evening, which is a different flowers appreciation experience. In addition, tourists can go to Dengfeng Shaolin Temple in Kaifeng to experience Chinese Kung Fu.
- 1 Day Shaolin Temple Kungfu Tour from Luoyang
- 2 Days Luoyang and Shaolin Temple Kung Fu Tour
- 2 Days Beijing to Luoyang and Shaolin Temple Kung Fu Tour by Speed Train
- 3 Days Zhengzhou, Shaolin Temple and Luoyang Tour by Speed Train from Beijing
- 5 Days Henan Ancient Culture Tour
Xiamen is also one of the most suitable places to visit in April in China. You can enjoy the unique Gulangyu Island, where ancient buildings are perfectly integrated with nature. Walking in the city center, you will encounter many graffiti, colorful, lovely and unique, bringing some artistic flavor to the city. During your exploration tour in Xiamen, you can visit Xiamen University built by mountains and rivers and experience the campus culture of this top university in China. If you are interested in Buddhism, Nanputuo Temple is a good place to visit.
- 1 Day Fujian Tulou Tour to Nanjing County
- 1 Day Yongding Hakka Tulou Tour
- 1 Day Xiamen City & Gulang Yu Island Tour
- Xiamen Gulangyu Island Half-day tour
- 4 Days Xiamen City and Fujian Tulou Tour
- 5 Days Fujian Highlights Tour with Fujian Tulou and Wuyishan Mountain
- 8 Days Fujian Xiamen and Wuyishan Tea Culture Tour
Xishuangbanna is located in the southern tip of Yunnan Province, tropical region. It is already very hot during the daytime in April, but it has not yet reached the hottest season, so it is suitable for tourism. Tourists can visit Xishuangbanna Menglun Tropical Botanical Garden, Xishuangbanna Primeval Forest Park, WangTianShu Scenic Spot and Wild Elephant Valley, etc. In addition, the annual Water Splashing Festival of Dai Minority is held in April.
- 1 Day Mekong River Speedboat Cruise Tour
- 1 Day North XishuangBanna Tour to Wild Elephant Valley and Jinuo Ethnic Village
- 1 Day East XishuangBanna Tour to Menglun Tropical Botanical Garden and Dai Minority Garden
- 1 Day XishuangBanna Nannuo Tea Mountain and Aini Ethnic Village Hiking Tour
- 3 Days XishuangBanna Tea Culture Tour to Yiwu and Nannuo Tea Mountains
- 6 Days Xishuangbanna Tropical Rain Forest Adventure and Ethnic Culture Education Tour
Water-Splashing Festival of Dai Minority
When you travel to Xishuangbanna in April, you can’t miss the Water splashing Festival of Dai Minority. The Water splashing Festival is scheduled to be held on April 13-15 in the solar calendar. But water splashing festival celebrated in Jinghong could last longer, about 7 days(April 12-18). The Water splashing Festival is Dai’s biggest activity, people splash each other meaning best wishes at that day. If you can get to Xishuangbanna during water splashing festival, join the local people and enjoy the water fight. That will be an exciting experience.
- 6 Days XishuangBanna Water Splashing Festival Celebration Tour
- 4 Days XishuangBanna Water Splashing Festival Celebration Tour
Shangri-La is a good place for photography and tourism. Tourists can go to Pudacuo National Park to enjoy the well-preserved original landscape, including lakes, wetlands, forests, grasslands, streams, rare animals and plants. In addition, Songzanlin Temple, known as the “Little Potala Palace”, will leave an indelible impression on you.
- 1 Day Shangri-La Lamaist Monasteries Tour
- 1 Day Napahai Lake Cycling Tour with Tibetan Village and Songzanlin Monastery
- 2 Days Tiger Leaping Gorge Trekking Tour with Daju Town and Jade Dragon Snow Mountain
- 3 Days Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Tour
- 4 Days Shangri-La City Tour
- 5 Days Shangri-La Discovery with Meili Snow Mountain Pilgrimage
- 5 Days Haba Snow Mountain Climbing Adventure (Camping at 4800M) with Tiger Leaping Gorge Tour
- 5 Days Haba Snow Mountain Flowers Hiking Tour
The Three Gorges
The Yangtze River is famous for its amazing scenery and diverse cultures. Along the 191-kilometer cruise route from Chongqing to Yichang, you will pass through Qutang Gorge, Wu Gorge, Xiling Gorge and the Three Gorges Dam. It is very spectacular.
- 5 Days Yichang City Tour with Yangtze River Cruise from Yichang to Chongqing
- 8 Days Best Hubei Province Tour with Wuhan & Yichang Yangtze Cruise
- 11 Days China Classic Tour with Best Yangtze River Cruise Tour
- 11 Days Beijing-Xian-Chongqing-Yangtze Cruise-Yichang-Shanghai Small Group Tour
- 12 Days Shanghai-Beijing-Xian-Yangtze-Shanghai Small Group Tour
- 12 Days Beijing- Xi’an- Chengdu- Chongqing- Yichang- Wuhan- Shanghai Private Tour
- 13 Days China Classic Tour with Li River and Yangtze Cruises
China Festivals and Events by Month
In April, main festivals and events in China include Qingming Festival, Water Splashing Festival, Luoyang Peony Festival, The Great Wall Marathon, Shanghai Peach Blossom Festival, etc.