Running Tiger Spring (Hupao Spring) in Hangzhou
Running Tiger Spring Facts
Running Tiger Spring (Hupao Spring) is ranked the third in China, according to scientific research on the quality of the water of the spring, followed by Leng Spring in Zhejiang and Hui Spring in Wuxi, Jiangsu Province.
Chinese Name: 虎跑泉
Type: Nature & Springs
Address: Hupao Road, Xihu District, Hangzhou 310000, China
Best Seasons: All year round; Spring and autumn best.
Recommended Visiting Hours: about
Opening Hours: 6:00 - 18:00
Ticket: CNY 15
Why is Running Tiger Spring (Hupao Spring) So Special?
- The Hupao Spring is widely known as the third best spring in China due to its water quality, which has been tested scientifically. The other two best springs are Jinshan Spring in Zhenjiang and Hui Spring in Wuxi. But for those traveling in Hangzhou, the Hupao Spring is definitely a must-see waterscape.
- Also known as the Running Tiger Spring, the Hupao Spring is attractive in both its natural beauty as well as the unique quality of its waters. Due to both of these reasons, famous Chinese poets in ancient and modern times have written poems praising the spring.
Brief Introduction of Running Tiger Spring
Tiger Spring, located in Dinghui Zen Temple on Daci Mountain in the south of the Hangzhou West Lake, is a wellspring landscape regarding viewing spring, hearing spring and tasting spring as its theme. Also, it is a human landscape features in legend.
The spring is well famed for its unique fountain. People of all ages highly praise it after tasting a cup of Longjing Tea made of water from it. Many laudatory poems about the spring have been composed by famous Chinese poets, both in ancient and in modern times. No surprise then that Longjing (Dragon Well) tea and Running Tiger Spring bring out the best in each other and are acknowledged as ‘two wonders of West Lake’.
Story about Running Tiger Spring
According to legend, the Tang Dynasty great master Xing Kong traveled to this mountain and loved the delicately beautiful scenery here, then he lived down. Later, as there was no waterhead nearby, he was prepared to move somewhere else. One night, he dreamed the God told him: “There is a spring on the Nanyue Mountain, you can send two tigers to move it here.” The next day, he really saw two tigers dig a ground cave, then the clear spring water poured out, so named “Tiger Spring”.
Highlights of Running Tiger Spring
Hupao spring tastes pure, sweet and cold, an ideal drink for good health. What arouse people’s interest is the fact that the spring water rises three millimeters above a bowl edge without overflowing, a scientific phenomenon due to the high surface tension of the spring water.
The attraction of “Hupao Spring” doesn’t stop here. Actually, right now “Hupao Spring” has been expanded into a forest park – Hupao Spring Forest Park rife with streams, trees, pagodas, pavilions. Beside natural elements in the park, Hupao Spring Forest Park has added much Chinese culture and history content to make it worth visiting and exploring more.
Li Shutong Memorial was built in memory of the scholar who was outstanding in the aspects of music, drama, painting, and calligraphy. Monk Jigong’s hall and Dagoba were also set up in honor of the popular monk. Now Hupao Spring Forest Park is a good fusion combining nature and culture.
Dragon Well Tea
Throughout the ages, people who traveled to Hangzhou, without exception, will personally taste the Dragon Well Tea made by the spring water from the Tiger Spring in the West Lake. The ancient poets left many poems to praise the sweat spring water of Tiger Spring. Tiger Spring in West Lake Scenic Area built a number of tearooms which attract Chinese and foreign tea drinkers to come here.
Recommended Tour Packages
- 2 Days Hangzhou Silk Culture Tour
- Hangzhou West Lake Night Cruise Tour
- 1 Day Hangzhou Tour to Xixi National Wetland Park, West Lake Cruise and Dragon Well Tea Plantation
- 2 Days Hangzhou City Highlights Tour
- Hangzhou Grand Canal and Qiantang River Night Cruise Tour
- 5 Days Hangzhou and Huangshan Tour by Speed Train
- 1 Day Hangzhou City Group Tour from Shanghai
Best Seasons to Visit Hangzhou
- Many people in China believe that spring and autumn are the two best seasonsto visit Hangzhou, specially late March-May and September-mid November.
- In these seasons, temperature is warm but not hot. Daytime temperature ranges from mid 10s to mid 20s centigrade, and night time temperature ranges from low 10s to low 20s.
- Spring is the best season to visit the West Lakebecause all kinds of flowers are blossoming that time. In order: plum blossom, peach blossom, and cherry blossom.
- Autumn is also very nice and my favorite because of the yellow and red leaves.
- However, I suggest avoiding the last week of September and the first 2 weeks of October because that’s when the city becomes packed with tourists from the golden week holidays.
How to get to Running Tiger Spring in Hangzhou
Travel with ChinaDragonTours (top recommended)
If you want to get out of the traffic and hassle of navigation, you can book a private tour package that includes visiting, dining and transfer from us. Our local guide and driver will escort you to Running Tiger Spring in Hangzhou in the fastest and most convenient way and take care of all the details. You just have to focus on the visiting.
Take Bus 4, 180, 194, 197, 287, 314, 315, 318, 334 or 822, and get off at Hupao Station.
Useful Travel Tips
- Avoid visiting during school holidays and Golden Week in October as there will be large numbers of local tourists.
- Two hours are neended for visiting Hupao Spring. It is a half hour’ walk from its main entrance by the road to the hillside Hupao Spring and other attractions.
- The Bus Signboard indicates K4, 504 and Y5 (on another side)
A clean public toilet is just by the side BUS STOP at Hupao Spring.
- Twin Peaks Piercing the Clouds
- Jingci Temple
- Baochu Pagoda
- Leifeng Pagoda
- Fenghuang Mosque
- Viewing Fish at Flower Harbor