Hong Kong Overview
Chinese Name: 香港 English IPA: (/ˌhɒŋˈkɒŋ/Cantonese: [hœ́ːŋ.kɔ̌ːŋ] Location: southern China Population (city): 7,482,500 (2018) Language: Chinese, English, Cantonese Zip code: 999077 Tel code: 852 Time zone: UTC+8
Hong Kong as a Special Administrative Region (SAR) of the People’s Republic of China, is strategically located at the mouth of the Pearl River Delta in Southern China, Hong Kong. It comprises 200 islands located in Eastern Asia bordering the South China Sea and China. Much of Hong Kong’s terrain is hilly to mountainous with steep slopes. The government system is a limited democracy; the chief of state is the president of China, and the head of government is the chief executive of Hong Kong. Hong Kong has a free market economy in which the prices of goods and services are determined in a free price system. Hong Kong is a member of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC). As a special administrative region, Hong Kong maintains separate governing and economic systems from that of mainland China. and its people overwhelmingly identify as Hongkongers rather than Chinese.
Highlights of Hong Kong
- Tourists’ Paradise: Hong Kong is praised as one of the most popular traveling spots out of 15 in the world by the World Tourism Organisation.Hong Kong is also the most popular city since it is the only city on the list. As as Tourists’ Paradise, Hong Kong has many world famous attractions such as the Hong Kong Disneyland, Ocean Park, Victoria Peak and Victoria Haubour, etc.
- Shopping Paradise: Hong Kong is truly a shoppers’ paradise where you can find malls with high-end luxury brands and street bazaars with affordable bargains. The highlights of Hong Kong shopping areas are Central, North Point, Admiralty and Causeway Bay in Hong Kong Island and Tsim Sha Tsui, Yau Ma Tei, Jordan and Mong Kok in Kowloon together with Sheung Wan. Further more, you can find lots of discount outlets shops in Lantau.
- Gourmet Paradise: As a food paradise, Hong Kong provides an unlimited variety of food and dining in every class. From the roadside stalls to the most upscale restaurants, Must-Eat Food in Hong Kong such as Dim Sum, Siu Mei, Hot Pot, Claypot Rice, Dai Pai Dong, Sea Food and Snacks in Hong Kong are highly recommended. Food events are also common to see Hong Kong, such as Hong Kong Wine & Dine Festival.
- The Center of Skyscrapers: Hong Kong has a total of 2,354 skyscrapers with a total height of 333,836 meters, 1,560 more than the second largest city in the United States – New York, with a total height of 224,116 meters. Even CNN appreciates it! Famous skyscrapers in Hong Kong include HSBC Building, Two International Finance Centre, International Commerce Centre, Bank of China Tower and Central Plaza, etc.
- International Financial Centre: Hong Kong’s status as the world’s premier international financial centre is well recognised. With its unique advantage of having the Mainland as hinterland and its extensive global network, Hong Kong has firmly established itself as the dominant gateway to China and a global offshore renminbi business hub.
Other Destinations in Hong Kong
- Kowloon City District
- Central and Western District
- Eastern District
- Southern District
- Wan Chai District
- Sham Shui Po District
- Kwun Tong District
- Wong Tai Sin District
- Yau Tsim Mong District
- Islands District
- Kwai Tsing District
- North District
- Sai Kung District
- Sha Tin District
- Tai Po District
- Tsuen Wan District
- Tuen Mun District
- Yuen Long District
Hong Kong Attractions
This page covers more than 40 Hong Kong attractions, including a range of bays, islands, parks, museums, religious buildings, and landmarks. Hong Kong offers both nature and the efficiency of city life in China’s most-developed city. China Dragon Tours offer you the access point for our attraction descriptions and helpful information. Hong Kong Attractions include a list of top things to do and must-see attractions in Hong Kong. All attractions picked by our seasoned travel advisors and rated by our [...]
Hong Kong Tours
Hong Kong Tours provided by China Dragon Tours covers attractions from modern skylines at Victoria Harbor to traditional fishing village of Tai'O. Hong Kong is a wonderful place offering countless things to do and see with its diverse culture and marvelous sights. Explore the highlights of Hong Kong with our well-designed Hong Kong Tours, from several-day Hong Kong city tour packages for family holiday to 8-20 days Hong Kong China theme tours. It our pleasure to customize the Hong Kong [...]
- More City Tours Including Hong Kong >>
- More China Provinces Tours Including Hong Kong >>
- More Multi-City Tours Including Hong Kong >>
- All Tours Including Hong Kong >>
Climate & When to Go
Located in a subtropical region, Hong Kong enjoys a subtropical monsoon climate, featuring distinct seasons with an annual average temperature of 23.3℃. The temperature may fall below 10℃ in winter and rise above 31℃ in summer. Rainfall is concentrated from May to September, accounting for about 80% of the annual rainfall. There is plenty of rainfall throughout the year, flowers bloom all the year round, spring is warm and foggy, summer is hot with plenty of rainfall, autumn is sunny and [...]
Fast and efficient Hong Kong Transportation benefits from the well-developed local transportation system including subway trains (the MTR), buses, ferries, trams, and taxis. It is also covenient for you to travel to Kong Kong through outer transportation by air, by train or by ferry. How to Get to Hong Kong There are four major ways for you to get to Hong Kong: by air, by train, by ferry or by long-distance bus. Most international tourists choose plane as their major way of getting [...]
Festivals and Activities
Known as the events mecca of Asia, festivals and activities in Hong Kong provide you year-round experiences in World class sports events, concerts and performances, art fairs and food carnivals. and the fascinating local festivals with their spectacular colorful celebrations. You will have a wonderful Hong Kong festival trip from the officially supported "M" Mark Events to ancient and quirky local festivities. Immerse yourself in the local customs and culture by getting to know some of the key traditional Chinese festivals and events [...]
Hong Kong Travel FAQs and Tips introduce the city and zip codes, post offices, useful numbers, hospitals, banks for foreign exchange, Government and famous universities. When plan your trip to Hong Kong, view our answers to questions about Hong Kong travel to get better understanding of Hong Kong. Useful Numbers in Hong Kong Emergency numbers are for your reference in case there is an emergency. You can contact the local police, ambulance service, fire department and other emergency services by calling 999. If you lose your [...]
Hong Kong Travel Maps in English includes Maps List of Hong Kong Tourist Attractions, Maps of Hong Kong Hotels, Maps of Hong Kong Tours, Hong Kong Subway Maps, Maps of Transportation. It show the specific location maps of main roads, Transportation, railway, stations, Bus Stations, Airports, expressway, administrative division, famous tourist attractions, travel and tours, universities, banks and hospitals. [...]
Hong Kong Accommodation
Hong Kong Accommodation Page introduces Where to stay in Hong Kong and the recommended Hong Kong 5-star luxury hotels, Comfortable 4-star, Economic 3-star and Cheap Hostels recommended by TripAdvisor. In Hong Kong, tourists spend more on accommodation than in first-tier cities in the mainland. Luxury hotels of four stars or above cost between 1,000 and 2,000 yuan, ordinary hotels charge 600-1000 yuan and economic hotels are priced between 300 and 500 yuan. CYTS is suitable for tourists and students traveling alone. Each [...]