Baochu Pagoda in Hangzhou
Baochu Pagoda in Hangzhou Facts
Baochu Pagoda is located just north of the lake on top of Precious Stone Hill. Its small base supports seven stories (45 meters) and gives it a distinctively slender and elegant appearance. The name Baochu, translated directly, means "protect Chu", who, legend has it, refers to Qian Chu, the last king of Wuyue.
Chinese Name: 保俶塔
Type: Famous Pagodas in Hangzhou
Address: Baoshi Mountain, Xihu District, Hangzhou 310007, China
Best Seasons: All year round; spring and autumn best
Recommended Visiting Hours: about 1-3 hours
Opening Hours: All day long
Ticket: Free of charge
Why is Baochu Pagoda in Hangzhou So Special?
- It mirrors the Leifeng Pagoda to the south of the lake from a distance. The Baochu Pagoda is often compared to a slim beauty, while the Leifeng Pagoda is an old monk. They are landmarks and famous tourist attractions of West Lake.
- In addition, Precious Stone Hill Floating in Rosy Clouds has been listed as one of the top scenes of West Lake. Tourists can have a panoramic view of the tower and the whole West Lake when standing on the top of the hill.
Brief Introduction of Baochu Pagoda
Baochu Pagoda (保俶塔) is a pagoda in Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, China. Located on Precious Stone Hill to the north of West Lake, it is also known as the ‘Baoshu’, ‘Baosuo’, or the ‘Precious Stone Pagoda’. Known as one of the landmarks of the West Lake, it is located just north of the lake on top of Precious Stone Hill (宝石山). Its small base supports seven stories (45 me) and gives it a distinctively slender and elegant appearance.
History of Baochu Pagoda
The Baochu Pagoda was first constructed during the Kaibao Period (968-976) in the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127). At that time, Qian Chu, the King of the Wuyue Kingdom, was summoned to the capital city Bianjing (today’s Kaifeng in Henan Province) by the Emperor, Zhao Kuangyin. But he did not return to the kingdom for a long time. Worried about his safety, his uncle Wu Yanshuang built the nine-storey tower to pray for his safety, hence the name Baochu, which means ‘protecting Chu’ in English.
The tower has been rebuilt six times in history. In the fifty-fourth year (1789) during the reign of Emperor Qianlong in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), a stele was found beneath the tower, which recorded its construction by Wu Yanshuang. The existing seven-storey tower was built in 1932. Later in 1997, the broken iron finial was replaced with a new one. The Baochu Pagoda was listed as a key historical and cultural relic under state protection in May, 2013.
Main Attractions of Baochu Pagoda
The octagonal Baochu Pagoda is made of bricks and consists of seven storeys. It is 45.3 meters (149 feet) high, and each side of the lowest storey measures 3.3 meters (3.6 yards). The side length of every storey decreases progressively. At the top of it stands an iron finial that is supported by a wooden pedestal. Thus, the tower resembles an octagonal pyramid and a long sword piercing the sky. That is very splendid! The tower cannot be ascended because it is solid. On each side of the storey is a blind window. A column is at the corner of two sides. Below the window and the column are the decorations of interlocking brackets. The pedestal is mainly made of granite stones. A stele, bearing the inscriptions of the renovations of the tower, is inserted into the back side of the first storey.
The Precious Stone Hill Floating in Rosy Clouds has been listed as one of the most popular attractions in West Lake for its colorful stones and the magnificent Baochu Pagoda. The hill is made of igneous rocks that can present purple and brown colors in the sun. In early morning and evening, the glow in the sky contrasts finely with the colorful rocks of the hill. With numerous precious stones glistening, the tower appears very attractive. Visitors will be deeply impressed by the intoxicating scene!
Recommended Tour Packages
- 2 Days Hangzhou Silk Culture Tour
- Hangzhou West Lake Night Cruise Tour
- 1 Day Hangzhou Tour to Xixi National Wetland Park, West Lake Cruise and Dragon Well Tea Plantation
- 2 Days Hangzhou City Highlights Tour
- Hangzhou Grand Canal and Qiantang River Night Cruise Tour
- 5 Days Hangzhou and Huangshan Tour by Speed Train
- 1 Day Hangzhou City Group Tour from Shanghai
Best Seasons to Visit Hangzhou
- Many people in China believe that spring and autumn are the two best seasons to visit Hangzhou, specially late March-May and September-mid November.
- In these seasons, temperature is warm but not hot. Daytime temperature ranges from mid 10s to mid 20s centigrade, and night time temperature ranges from low 10s to low 20s.
- Spring is the best season to visit the West Lake because all kinds of flowers are blossoming that time. In order: plum blossom, peach blossom, and cherry blossom.
- Autumn is also very nice and my favorite because of the yellow and red leaves.
- However, I suggest avoiding the last week of September and the first 2 weeks of October because that’s when the city becomes packed with tourists from the golden week holidays.
How to get to Baochu Pagoda in Hangzhou
Travel with ChinaDragonTours (top recommended)
If you want to get out of the traffic and hassle of navigation, you can book a private tour package that includes visiting, dining and transfer from us. Our local guide and driver will escort you to Baochu Pagoda in Hangzhou in the fastest and most convenient way and take care of all the details. You just have to focus on the visiting.
Useful Travel Tips
- Avoid visiting during school holidays and Golden Week in October as there will be large numbers of local tourists.
If you need to stay near here, the following hotels can be used as a reference: Marco Polo Holiday Hotel, Marco Polo Binhai Hotel, Zhongshan International Hotel, Zhejiang Hotel, Rujia Business Hotel, etc.
- Twin Peaks Piercing the Clouds
- Solitary Hill
- Jingci Temple
- Leifeng Pagoda
- Fenghuang Mosque
- Grand Canal