Yandai Xiejie Street in Beijing
The Skewed Tobacco Pouch Street is a well known narrow street or hútòng in Beijing that is known for the tobacco stores, bars, and hotels. Know as Yandai Xiejie in Chinese, the Skewed Tobacco Pouch Street is one of the oldest hutongs, which are famous attractions in Beijing.
English Name: Yandai Xiejie Street
Chinese name: 烟袋斜街
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All day
Address: Yandai Xiejie, Xicheng District, Beijing9(西城区
Why is Yandai Xiejie Street So Special?
Know as Yandai Xiejie in Chinese, the Skewed Tobacco Pouch Street is one of the oldest hutongs, which are famous attractions in Beijing. The Skewed Tobacco Pouch Street is a well known narrow street or hútòng in Beijing that is known for the tobacco stores, bars, and hotels. The street is called Skewed Tobacco Pouch Street because the street crosses diagonally and tobacco was sold there.
The stores along the Skewed Tobacco Pouch Street were build during the late Qing Dynasty and the early Republic of China. The west end of the Skewed Tobacco Pouch Street is opposite to east end of Yaer Hutong, and you can walk northwestward to Guangyuan Temple along the hutong. In the southwest of the west end of the Skewed Tobacco Pouch Street is the Silver Ingot Bridge, which leads to the West of Shichahai. In the northeast of the west end of the Skewed Tobacco Pouch Street is Xiaoshibei Hutong.
If you want to buy pipes or tobacco products, on the north side are two tobacco stores: one called Heng Tai which means being prosperous permanently and another called Shuang Sheng Tai which means being prosperous stably.
Hong Ji Nan Paper Store is the largest of its kind on the street, which specializes in the sale of various kinds of paper. The most famous pouch store on the street is Shuang Sheng Tai, where visitors can purchase tobacco pouches of various sizes and shapes, including porcelain ones, jade ones, wooden ones and bronze ones.
There are more than 20 cafés and bars with different styles on the Yandaixie Street, among which there is the Night of Yinding, the largest café in the Shichahai area. And others like the Red Mansion, the Sea Bar, the Show Place Café, the Wenshi Café, etc.
How to Get to Yandai Xiejie Street?
Travel with China Dragon Tours (top recommended)
If you want to get rid of hustle of transportation and troublesome navigation, you can book a private tour package which covers visiting, dining and transfer from us. Our local tour guide and driver will escort you to Yandai Xiejie Street speed and convenience, and take care of all the details. You just need to focus on travel.
Take Bus 5, 60, 82, 107, 124, or 635 to Drum Tower Stop, and then walk north for 5 minutes to it.
By Subway Line 8 to Shichahai, get out of the station from Exit A2, and then walk west for 1 minute. Turn north and keep walking for 5 minutes to there.
Recommended Beijing Tour Packages
- 5 Days Beijing Adoption Heritage Tour
- 7 Days Beijing Golf and Sightseeing Tour
- 1 Day Beijing Aoyuan Golf Club and Summer Palace Tour
- 8 Days Beijing-Xian-Shanghai Tour by Speed Train
- 1 Day Beijing Country Golf Club Tour with Huanghuacheng Great Wall
- 7 Days Beijing and Zhangjiakou 2022 Beijing Winter Olympic Tour
- 6 Days Beijing and Zhangjiakou 2022 Beijing Winter Olympic Tour
- 1 Day Tianjin Tour by Bullet Train from Beijing
More Attractions in Beijing
- Badaling Great Wall, Beijing
- Forbidden City in Beijing
- Ming Tombs in Beijing
- Olympic Park in Beijing
- Temple of Heaven in Beijing
- Tiananmen Square in Beijing
- Memorial Hall of Chairman Mao in Beijing
- Eastern Qing Tombs in Beijing
- Soong Ching Ling Former Residence in Beijing
- Imperial Waterway Cruise in Beijing
- Longquan Monastery in Beijing
- Hugongsi Hutong Snack Street in Beijing