Impression Lijang Show
Impression Lijiang Show is a cultural show which demonstrates the traditions and lifestyle of local Naxi, Yi and Bai ethnics of the area.
Chinese Name: 印象丽江
Keywords: outdoor performance,Jade Dragon Snow Mountain,ethic groups,folk songs and dances
Location: Ganhaizi Meadow,Jade Dragon Snow Mountain Scenic Area, Lijiang, Yunnan,China
Admission Fee: 280 RMB for adult ticket(standard-seat), 346 RMB for adults(VIP-seat)
Performing Duration: 2an hour
Permorchance: 9:00,11:30 or 1 pm(note: time will depend on daily number of visitors)
‣ Introduction of Impression Lijiang Show
Impression Lijiang is a cultural show which demonstrates the traditions and lifestyle of local Naxi, Yi and Bai ethnics of the area. It is the second outdoor production (after Impression Liu Sanjie in Yangshuo, Guilin) of famous Chinese film director Zhang Yimou, who co-directed the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympic Games in 2008. The open-air performance takes place inside Jade Dragon Snow Mountain Park at 3500 meters in an outdoor theater specifically designed to showcase the mountain which is used as a breath-taking backdrop.
As an outdoor performance in full daylight, Impression Lijiang which Zhang Yimou has spent two years for the preparation was innovatively staged in the morning. The show is divided into two parts, “Snow Mountain Impression” and “Ancient City Impression”, the production, which has cost 31 million U.S. dollars to make, is staged at the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain and Dayan Ancient Town, two famous scenic spots in Lijiang, a scenic city in southwestern China.
Aiming to provide an insight into the lives of the region’s ethnic groups, all the songs and dances that includes within the show are largely portray the daily life of the local people. Around 500 local people from 10 ethnic groups have been selected from 16 towns and villages in Lijiang of Yunnan Province to perform daily folk songs, dances and rituals for tourists, which include folk songs, dances as well as rituals for tourists.
‣Content of Impression Lijiang
● The Impression Snow Mountain is played to describe a dialogue between human and mountain, expressing the close relationship between human and nature.
● The Impression Ancient Town is played as a dialogue between human and their ancestors, showing that there is always a divine kingdom deep down in people’s heart from the ancient times. The Impression Snow is played with the snow mountain as background, combining the wonderful natural scenery and colorful folklore culture to display the life’s reality and shock at the highest stage in the world with 3100 meter above the sea level high.
‣A brief introduction of Chief Director-Zhangyimou
Zhang Yimou, the director of “Impression Lijiang”, is noted for his films such as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon starred by Chow Yun-fat (Zhou Runfa). As a matter of fact, he also has directed cultural shows entitled with “Impressions” including “Impression Ms. Liu Sanjie” (in Guilin), “Impression of West Lake” (in Hangzhou) and “Impression Lijiang” (Lijiang). Different from indoor and evening performances that use lighting a lot to burnish and enrich the stage, “Impression Lijiang” draws much of the audiences’ attention back to primitiveness of nature. It is suggested that you watch the show when visiting the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain.
How to get to Impression Lijang Show
Travel with ChinaDragonTours (top recommended)
If you want to get out of the traffic and hassle of navigation, you can book a private tour package that includes visiting, dining and transfer from us. Our local guide and driver will escort you to the Impression Lijang Show and most convenient way and take care of all the details. You just have to focus on the visiting.
You can take minibus No.7 from Red Sun Square,or take taxi to watch the show at Ganhaizi Mewdow.
‣Useful Travel Tips
● The show may be cancelled if there is heavy rain, or you need to wear a rain coat to enjoy the show.
● The show is on during daytime outdoors at a high altitude, so it is recommended to wear sun protection such as sun block and hats.
● The entire show is in mandarin, but there are English subtitles. You are suggested to understand a bit of the history and culture of the region to better appreciate the performance.
● Any price listed on this webpage is only for reference; the actual charge is subject to the official box office.
● It can be arranged after your tour to Jade Dragon Snow Mountain
● Please avoid the time from 21 Dec-31th Dec,as the performers will have 10-day holiday during the time every year.
Others Scenic Area:
Lijiang old Town is officially called “Dayan Town”, “Dayan” literally means a “great ink stab”, a graphic description of the town’s location on a piece of rich flatland fed by a river and surrounded by green mountains. It is a well-preserved Naxi ancient town, listed as UNESCO World Heritage site in 1997. It is one of the four best-preserved ancient cities in China. The unique geographical location, historical background and multiracial inhabitants make it one of the most popular travel destination in China.
Located in Yulong Naxi Autonomous County, Lijiang City, Yunnan Province, Jade Dragon Snow Mountain is 15 kilometers north of the downtown, which has a highest altitude of 5596 meters and an area of 455 square kilometers. With thirteen perennial snow peak, Jade Dragon Snow Mountain resembles a jade dragon lying in the clouds, hence the name. Featured by its magnificence, precipitousness, uniqueness and beauty, the scenery of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain changes in accordance with seasons and weathers.
Nestled at the foot of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, 6 km northwest of Lijiang old town, Shuhe Old Town was once a staging post at ancient Tea & Horse Road. With an altitude of 2440 meters above sea level, it is a tranquil town with a population of about 3000 people. Along with its sister town Lijiang, it is also part of the UNESCO Heritage site. Shuhe is the earliest settlement of Naxi people in Lijiang when their ancestors first moved to this region.
Baisha Old Town is one of the oldest towns in Lijiang City. It got its name “Baisha” meaning “white sand” from the natural white sand in the area. It was the cradle-land of the Tusi Dynasty evolved from the Mu Clan. It was also the earliest settlement of the Naxi people. In ancient times, Baisha was a center of silk embroidery in southwest China and an important place on the Ancient Tea and Horse Road.