Huitengxile Grassland in Ulanqab
When translated from Mongolian, Huitengxile means "cold high plateau." The grasslands are located in the south-central part of Chahar Right Middle Banner in Ulanqab to the north of Yinshan Mountains. With the colors and styles of the northern pastures, this vibrant place also possesses the bright and beautiful colors of a Jiangnan water town. Huitengxile Grasslands are cool and comfortable in the summer and cold in the winter. Ever since ancient times, it has been a popular summer destination.
English Name: Huitengxile Grassland in Hohhot City
Chinese Name: 呼和浩特市辉腾锡勒草原
Type: Grassland & Prairie
Grassland Area: 60000 hectare
Altitude: 1800 meters
Best Season: Summer & Autumn, especially from June to September
Recommended Visiting Hours: half day~1 day
Open Hours: 08:30~18:00
Tickets: 5 yuan per person. 45 yuan for Huanghua Ditch (黄花沟)
Address: Chahar Right Middle Banner, Ulanqab
Huitengxile means “cold plateau” in Mongolian. Huitengxile Grassland is located 135 kilometers east of Hohhot, and 80 kilometers from the city of Jining. There are small, yellow flowers covering the mountains. The landscape has erect cliffs and pure, cascading springs. This, set against the boundless grassland and the beautiful delicate color of the Jiangnan water-village, is a magnificent sight.
Where is Huitengxile Grassland Location
Huitengxile Grassland is located in south central of Chahar Right Middle Banner, Ulanqab.
- 135 kilometers from Hohhot.
- 430 kilometers from Beijing.
- 139 kilometers from Gegentala Grassland
- 209 kilometers from Xilamuren Grassland
Introduction of Huitengxile Grasslands
Cold in winter and cool in summer, Huitengxile Grasslands has a high summertime temperature of 18 degrees centigrade for an average year. Lying at an altitude of over 1800 meters above sea level, Huitengxile Grasslands stretches over 100 kilometers from east to west, and is dotted with some 100 lakes.
What you can do in Huitengxile Grasslands
The tourist can enjoy a wide variety of entertainment here, including horseback riding, camel riding, shooting, archery and Mongolian wrestling. Alternatively, one can hike up Aobao Mountain or visit the yurt of a Mongolian herdsman, where one can try out the exotic tastes of Mongolian “dairy ” products, from hare’s milk wine to fermented milk to Mongolian milk tea.
There are fertile land and plenty of rainfall. Tourists can enjoy their stay here riding on horseback, archery, watching wrestling, and joining in singing and dancing in the open air.
There are some featured activities on Huitengxile Grassland:
- You’ll be warmly welcomed by local Mongolians who are colorfully dressed. They’ll present you a silver cup of wine and Hada;
- Appreciate the beautiful scenery of the grassland;
- Taste some local favorites such as mutton and other traditional cuisines;
- Take an optional horseback riding to visit a herdsman’s family and Aobao Hill (at your own expenses);
- Enjoy some traditional Mongolian activities like archery, horse racing, and Mongolian-style-wrestling performances;
- In the evening, take part in a bonfire party and enjoy traditional dancing and local songs presented by the local Mongolians.
The Best Time to Visit Huitengxile Grassland
The best time to visit is between May and September. With many lakes and vast meadows of flowers rolling for miles and miles, it is one of the few high-altitude alpine meadows in the country.
How to Get There
- Take the long-distance bus from the downtown area of Hohhot.
- From Hohhot, you can take a bus to Wuzhong Banner, where you can rent an automobile and drive to the grasslands.
Useful Travel Tips
- You can set up a tent for an overnight stay and enjoy the fresh air and a tranquil night spent under the stars on the vast grasslands.
- You can elect to overnight with a Mongolian herdsman family, or stay at an inn.
- If you want to go really exotic, you can spend a night in a herdsman’s cave-dwelling – it will guarantee you the unique experience of county life, Mongolian style!
- There are three famous grasslands near Hohhot, including Xilamuren Grassland, Gegentala Grassland (140 km) and Huitengxile Grassland (135 km). The itinerary could be tailor-made according to your preference.
More Attractions in Inner Mongolia
- Mammoth Park in Hulunbuir City
- Hulunbuir Nationality Museum
- Zhalanaor Museum in Hulunbuir City
- Taiping Village in Hulunbuir City
- Great Khingan Mountains
- Golden Horde Mongolian Tribe
- Mastryoshka Doll Square
- Hulun River in Hulunbuir City
- Moerdaoga in Erguna City
- Aoluguya Ewenke National Township
- Genhe Wetland in Hulunbuir City
- Hulunbuir Grassland in Inner Mongolia
- Mongolian Tribe Resort in Hailar City
- Xishan National Park in Hailar City
- Dalate Pass Yellow River in Erdos City
- General’s Government Office in Hohhot City