1 Day Dujiangyan Panda Volunteer Tour from Chengdu
The Panda Keeper Program at Dujiangyan Panda Base provides people who are interested in animal conservation research an opportunity to learn more about giant pandas. ...
Code of Tour: CDT0000000910
Length of Travel: 1 Day
Destinations of Tour: Chengdu - Dujiangyan Panda Base - Chengdu
Departure City: Dujiangyan
Price of Tour: Request
Type of Tour: Private
Features of Tour: Panda Family Wildlife
Chinese giant panda is rare species well-known all over the world. Their existence and future do not only attract national concern but also international people’s desire to do something for this endangered species. The Panda Keeper Program provides people who are interested in animal conservation research an opportunity to learn more about giant pandas. The international internship is practised at Dujiangyan Panda Base. During the experience, you will work with our skilled keepers and researchers to learn about giant pandas and biodiversity conservation, giant panda breeding, research, feeding management and behavior, and will also learn more about Chinese culture and customs.
- A full day panda volunteer program;
- Observe the daily life of the Giant Pandas and take care of them;
- Watch panda documentary to know more scientific facts about giant pandas.
- 7:00am: Hotel pick-up
In the early morning, your tour guide & driver will pick you up from your hotel in Chengdu and then drive to the Dujiangyan Panda Base.
- 8:30am-09:00am: Dujiangyan Panda Base Arrival
At the base, you will get a uniform, gloves, and a volunteer’s card with the assistance of your guide. Your guide will introduce you to the professional panda keepers. The panda keepers can speak simple English but your guide will be there for you at all times, helping to translate and taking memorable photos of you with the lovable pandas.
- 9:00am–10:00am: Clean the panda enclosures
Panda keepers need to supply fresh bamboo to these national treasures three times each day. The pandas usually eat only 30% of the bamboo, wasting 70% of it. You will need to sweep out the leftovers, replace it with fresh bamboo, and clean out the feces.
- 10:00am–11:00am: Take a break and tour around the panda base
Have a relaxing walk in the well-paved base and listen to the legendary stories of these pandas. You will also have a chance to meet the naughty red pandas.
- 11:00am–11:30am: Feed a panda
Pandas are supplied with panda cakes, apples, and carrots four times a day. The panda keepers will show you how to feed a panda with your own hands at close proximity.
- 11:30am–1:00pm: Have lunch and a rest in the base
- 1:00pm–2:00pm: Watch a panda movie for about 40 minutes
You will see a special documentary about how the shy pandas mate, give birth, grow up, and are returned to the wild.
- 2:00pm–3:30pm: More cleaning and feeding, and making panda’s cakes
The bamboo you supplied in the morning will become dry by the afternoon. Remove it and replace it with fresh bamboo. Then feed the pandas with some more panda cakes and apples. Having fed the pandas with panda cakes, aren’t you curious about how they are made? It is time to make some panda cakes with your own hands. The ingredients will be prepared in advance. Get creative about the shapes of the cakes.
- 3:30pm–4:00pm: Get a certificate, and drive back to Chengdu
The volunteer work ends here and you will receive a certificate for this unforgettable day. Say goodbye to the pandas you take care of. Your guide and driver will escort you back to your hotel in Chengdu.
- A donation program that allows you to take pictures with a panda next to you for about one minute is not included in the Panda Volunteer Program. It is only available in Dujiangyan Panda Base and the donation amount is CNY1,800 per person. Only 30 tourists are allowed to take close-up photos with pandas each day. If you would like to do, please feel free to tell us or reserve 1 Day Dujiangyan Panda Holding Tour from Chengdu.
- The age restriction of volunteer program is between 12 to 65 years old ( there is no restriction for holding a lovely panda ). Even though the pandas look harmless, they are carnivores. Parents must ensure that they prevent their children from coming into direct contact with the pandas.
- If your children are between 2–11 years old, you can still take them with you during the program. Your guide will help to take care of them. If your children are under 2 years old and you take care of them throughout the day.
- Transfers between Chengdu and Dujiangyan Panda base.
- Private English-speaking tour guide.
- Private vehicle for transfers & sightseeing with skilled driver.
- Entrance tickets to Dujiangyan Panda base.
- Panda keeper Lunch at the panda base.
- Panda keeper certificate.
- Service charge & government taxes.
- Panda Keeper experience cost, RMB700/person.
- Hugging a panda for pictures, RMB1800/person(Optional).
- Tips to guides and drivers.
- Personal expenses and gratuities to service staff.
- All optional programs.