Qingdao Naval Museum
It is the highest peak on China's coastline and is known as the "first famous mountain" on the sea. There is an old local saying: "Mount Tai is not as high as Laoshan in the East China Sea, though it is cloudy."
English Name: Qingdao Naval Museum
Type: Qingdao Scenic Area, Qingdao famous spots & Qingdao attractions
Best Time: All Year Around
Recommended Visiting Hours: 2-3 hours
Why is Qingdao Naval Museum So Special?
Qingdao Naval Museum, built in 1989, is the only military museum that features the complete development of the Chinese naval establishment. Located at No.8, Laiyang Road, the museum sits on the gorgeous seashore. It lies to the west of the famous Lu Xun Park and faces Zhan Bridge across the sea. Qingdao Naval Museum, with a great collection of documents, photographs and precious relics of different periods, fully narrates the history and achievements of the Chinese navy. The Qingdao Naval Museum consists of several exhibition areas which reflect the glorious history of Chinese navy in all aspects since its formation.
Where is Qingdao Naval Museum
Located at No.8, Laiyang Road, the museum sits on the gorgeous seashore. It lies to the west of the famous Lu Xun Park and faces Zhan Bridge across the sea.
History of Qingdao Naval Museum
Qingdao naval museum is a large professional military museum organized by the navy. It was set up in November 1988, officially opened to the public on October 1, 1989, officially listed in March 1993 and designated as Shandong’s national defense education base in March 1997.
Qingdao naval museum is a national patriotism education demonstration base and a 3A-level tourist attraction. In March 2005, it was rated as the first batch of 100 classic red tourist attractions by 13 ministries including the Central Propaganda Department, the National Development and Reform Commission, and the National Tourism Administration. In May 2008, it was rated as a Class I museum by the State Administration of Cultural Heritage.
Main Attraction of Qingdao Naval Museum
Navy Uniform Exhibition Hall
Navy Uniform Exhibition Hall of Qingdao Naval Museum displays the uniforms, military insignia and special duty apparel of different periods since the founding of the Chinese People’s Navy in 1949. They reflect the process of modernization and normalization of the Naval Establishment. The dress uniform, office appliances and articles for daily use of Xiao Jinguang, the first commander of the navy, are also on display.
The Exhibition Hall of Presents
The Exhibition Hall of Presents in Qingdao Naval Museum shows more than 300 precious gifts which are a great feast for the eyes. Donated by the armies of over 60 countries, they attest to the diplomatic achievements of the Chinese People’s Navy. Many are the army emblems and naval vessel signs of foreign navies. Some of them are highly significant, such as a Russian naval officer’s sword presented by the Vice Minister of Russian Defense in 1957 and a gilt sword with black scabbard given by an American admiral in 1989.
Weaponry Exhibition Area
The square of the court is the Weaponry Exhibition Area where ex-service weapons and equipment are on display. These are organized by category-naval vessel, aeroplane, guided missile, artillery, radar, underwater weapon, underwater tank and so on. Of the 150 exhibits, some are of crucial historical value since they served Chairman Mao, Premier Zhou Enlai, Xiao Jianguang and some international allies.
Marine Exhibition Area
The Marine Exhibition Area, covering a water area of 4 hectares (10 acres), holds a retired destroyer, frigates and conventional submarines which had made great contributions in safeguarding the country.
Best Time to Travel Qingdao Naval Museum
The best travel time in Shandong is usually from April to November.
Because Shandong is in a warm temperate monsoon climate, the whole province is warm and humid, and the water and heat conditions are better than those in inland areas at the same latitude. The specific characteristics are: dry and windy in spring, hot and rainy in summer, high and cool in autumn, and dry and cold in winter.
How to Get There
1. Take Metro Line 3 to Renmin Huitang and leave from Exit 3, then walk south for 5 minutes to the museum.
2. Take Bus 6, 26, 26 Express, 202, 214, 223, 228, 231, 304, 312, 316, 321, 411, 501, or 504 to Luxun Gongyuan and you will see it.
Useful Travel Tips
- A pair of comfortable and durable shoes is indispensable in travel. The most activity in this trip is walking, so a good pair of suitable shoes can make you more comfortable and relaxed during the trip and reduce fatigue.
- You may as well bring a Scarf when traveling. This piece of cloth, which is no longer simple but at the same time very light, can be your good helper during your journey! It can help you protect yourself from sun in hot weather.
- Now almost all countries have ATM machines, so there is no need to carry too much cash with you.
- Qingdao Naval Museum
- Qingdao Olympic Sailing Center
- May Fourth Square in Qingdao
- Tsingdao Beer Museum
- Qingdao No.1 Bathing Beach
- Little Qingdao Isle
Recommended Shandong Tour Packages
- 1 Day Qingdao City Tour
- 1 Day Qingdao Tour to Mt. Laoshan and Taiqing Palace
- 2 Days Jinan City of Springs Tour
- 3 Days Mount Taishan and Qufu Confucian Culture Tour from Beijing by Bullet train
- 3 Days Qingdao Beer Seaside Tour
- 4 Days Shandong Culture Discovery Including Jinan, Mount Taishan and Qufu
- 6 Days Shandong Tour by Speed Train