Nanjing Ancient City Wall
Type: National Key Cultural Relics Protection Unit
Chinese Name: 南京古城墙
English Name: Nanjing Ancient City Wall
Opening Hours: 09:00-17:00
Ticket Price: 15RMB
Address: No.8, Jiefang gate, Huanhu Road, Qinhuai District, Nanjing(南京市秦淮区环湖路解放门8号)
Nanjing Ancient City Wall
Nanjing City Wall a masterpiece of China’s ancient architecture. With an original perimeter of about 35 kilometers , the City Wall has a height of 14-21 meters. The footing has a width of 14 meters. The present remains have a length of about 21 kilometers .This huge city wall project was constructed over a 21 year period (1366-1387); taking 200,000 laborers to move 7 million cubic meters of earth and place thousands of stone and brick. The ancient wall stands 33.7 kilometers long and has varying heights between 14-21 meters.
Why is Nanjing Ancient City Wall So Special？
Nanjing City Wall is one of the key historical and cultural remains of Ming Dynasty (1386) under state protection. It is a masterpiece of China’s ancient architecture.Nanjing is one of the few cities in China that still have old city walls, and its City Wall is better preserved with most part still remained. Even though it has a history of about 600 years it is still spectacular and of great value in terms of cultural relics protection.
How to get to Nanjing Ancient City Wall
Travel with ChinaDragonTours (top recommended)
If you want to get out of the traffic and hassle of navigation, you can book a private tour package that includes visiting, dining and transfer from us. Our local guide and driver will escort you to the Nanjing Ancient City Wall and most convenient way and take care of all the details. You just have to focus on the visiting.
Take bus 2, 16, 49, 63, 202, 302, 701, 706, D18, or G5 to Zhonghuamen Chengbao.
Take bus 1, 25, 28, 30, 33, 35, 47, or 56 to Xuanwuhu Gongyuan.
Take bus 10, 13, 22, 45, 66, 69, 72, 73, 76, 315, 318, 501, 510, 555, or 557 to Zhongyangmen Dong.
- Take Metro line 1 to Zhonghuanmen or Xuanwumen, and you will see the wall.
Take Metro line 3 or Metro line 4 to Jimingsi Station, Exit 4. Walk north for 5 minutes, and you can see the wall.and you can see the wall.
Useful Travel Tips
- Admission Ticket
- Zhonghuamen (中华门) is a grand restored City Wall castle along the Qinhuai River (free).
- Zhonghuamen Citadel (中华门瓮城), ticket: RMB 34; opens daily 8:30 a.m.-9:00 p.m.
- Zhonghua Lu, Qinhuai District, bus 2, 16, 23, 33, 43, 46, 81, 87
- The stretch at Taicheng (台城) provides a contrasting perspective of Wuxuan Lake, the Wall, Jiming Temple and Nanjing’s rising skyline (free).
- Taicheng (Ming City Wall Museum 台城.明城垣博物馆), ticket: RMB 15; opens daily 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. (April-September), 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (the rest of the year). Add: 8 Jeifang Men, Xuanwu District.
The best time to visit the Ancient City Wall is the Lantern Festival (fifteen of the first month of lunar year). At that time, sections like tourism office and cultural relic bureau will organize a series of activities to celebrate the Festival of Nanjing Ancient City Wall.
- Ming Xiaoling Tomb in Nanjing
- Nanjing Longshan Lake Golf Club
- Nanjing Harvard International Golf Club
- Nanjing Gingkolake International Golf Club
- Ming Xiaoling Mausoleum in Nanjing
- Xuanwu Lake in Nanjing
- Qinhuai River in Nanjing
- Confucius Temple Area (Fuzi Miao) in Nanjing
- Presidential Palace in Nanjing
- Dr. Sun Yat-sen Mausoleum (Zhongshan Ling) in Nanjing