Mount Putuo in Zhoushan
Mountain Putuo is a renowned site in Chinese Buddhism, and is considered the bodhimandaof the bodhisattva Avalokitesvara. Mount Putuo is one of the four sacred mountains in Chinese Buddhism, the others being Mount Wutai, Mount Jiuhua, and Mount Emei.
Type: Sights & Landmarks
Chinese Name: 普陀山
Opening Hours: 06:30 ~ 21:00
Admission Ticket: 160 RMB/person on season; 140 RMB/person off season
Recommended Travel Time: 1 ~ 2 days
Best Time to Visit: June to October
Location: Putuo Town, Putuo District, Zhoushan, Zhejiang Province, China(中国浙江省舟山市普陀区普陀镇)
Where is Mount Putuo?
Mount Putuo is located about 150 km southeast of Shanghai, in the west of the island prefecture of Zhoushan, Zhejiang province. Mount Putuo lies in the East China Sea and incorporates the beauty of both mountain and sea.
Why is Mount Putuo So Special?
It is a renowned site in Chinese Buddhism, and is considered the bodhimandaof the bodhisattva Avalokitesvara (Guanyin). Mount Putuo is one of the four sacred mountains in Chinese Buddhism, the others being Mount Wutai, Mount Jiuhua, and Mount Emei (Bodhimandas for Manjusri, Ksitigarbha, and Samantabhadra respectively).
Main Attractions in Mount Putuo
- Puji Temple is the largest and oldest temple. Covering an area of 14,000 square meters, Puji Temple is an amazing place with 9 magnificent halls, 12 pavilions, an 18 meter Multi-treasure Pagoda, and fronted by the large Haijin Pool with its 3 very different bridges. By the middle bridge is the Yu Bei Ting.
- Construction of Fayu Temple commenced during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) and the buildings hug the mountainside in the seclusion of lofty and ancient trees.
- Lianhua Island is located opposite Putuo Mountain, separated by the sea. It used to be an abandoned island, till 1996 when artist Zhu Renming bought it and spent 15 years developing it into an artistic paradise.
How to Get to Mount Putuo?
Travel with China Dragon Tours (top recommended)
If you want to get rid of hustle of transportation and troublesome navigation, you can book a private tour package which covers visiting, dining and transfer from us. Our local tour guide and driver will escort you to Mount Putuo with speed and convenience, and take care of all the details. You just need to focus on travel.
The only way to board Putuo Island is by boat or ferry.
Take a coach from Ningbo Zhongba South Station to Shenjiamen Village, and then transfer to Banshendong Wharf.
In Ningbo Bus South Station, you could buy a combination ticket of coa and cruise.The whole journey takes about 2.5 hours.
Useful Travel Tips
Best Time to Visit
From July to September is the best time to visit Putuo Mountain. If you enjoy eating seafood, October would be harvest season of seafood. It is most beautiful in autumn, especially for those wishing to admire sunrise from the sea.
Putuoshan Mountain enjoys an oceanic climate. The lowest temperature is about -5℃ and the average temperature in summer is 29.3℃.
If you are interested in Buddhist activities, go to Putuoshan Mountain in the Buddhist Fair Festivals (Lunar 19th February, 19th June and 19th September).
Recommended Zhejiang Tour Packages
- 6 Days Beijing and Zhangjiakou 2022 Beijing Winter Olympic Tour
- 2 Days Hangzhou Silk Culture Tour
- Hangzhou Romance of Song Dynasty Evening Show Tour
- Hangzhou West Lake Night Cruise Tour
- 1 Day Hangzhou Tour to Xixi National Wetland Park, West Lake Cruise and Dragon Well Tea Plantation
- Hangzhou Grand Canal and Qiantang River Night Cruise Tour
- Hangzhou Hello Kitty Park in Huzhou
- Hu Qing Yu Pharmacy (Hu Qing Yu Tang) in Hangzhou
- Longmen Ancient Town in Hangzhou
- Yellow Dragon Cave in Hangzhou
- Huagang Park in Hangzhou
- Hangzhou Bay Bridge in Jiaxing