Chengdu, is truly a foodie’s paradise. Sampling the famous Sichuan food is a must here. There are three famous categories, snacks, Sichuan cuisine and hot pot which are sure to whip up your appetite. Chengdu locals love to eat, but also good at eating, so the whole of Chengdu is full of palatable food. This page will introduce you some recommended Chengdu dishes and snacks, as well as some local restaurant and snack stores.
Sichuan cuisine, as one of the eight regional cuisines in China, occupies an important position in the history of cooking in China for its diversity of dishes, changing flavor, fresh spicy and so on. Hot spices and numbing are the main characteristics of the Sichuan cuisine and many dishes are highly-spiced and peppery, while the flavors of Sichuan cuisine can be rather complex, various flavors created by blending many spices together, including hot and sour sauce(suanla wei in Chinese), tasty fish-flavored sauce(yuxiang wei in Chinese) and smoked flavored sauce(yanxun wei). Here some famous Chengdu dishes for you:
- Ma Po Tofu(麻婆豆腐): One of the most influential flavors of Sichuan cuisine, served in every Sichuan restaurant.
- Kung Pao Chicken(宫爆鸡丁): A specialty of Sichuan cuisine, diced chicken, hot pepper and peanuts.
- Spicy Diced Chicken(辣子鸡): A traditional Sichuan dish, which is stir-fried quickly over a high heat with just enough oil to keep the fresh and tender taste of the chicken.
- Fish Flavored Shredded Pork(鱼香肉丝): A common Sichuan dish. It has a complex but delicious taste that is salty, sweet, sour, spicy, and fresh (not particularly fishy).
- Twice Cooked Spicy Pork Slices(回锅肉): A traditional Sichuan dish. The tasty pork slices are fried crisp without greasiness.
- Boiled Fish(水煮鱼）: A very popular dish in China's Sichuan specialty restaurants. Heavy on the oil, Sichuan peppercorns, and dried red chili peppers, all used to flavor the delicate fresh fish filets at the center of this dish.
Recommended Restaurant: Chen Ma Po Bean Curd Restaurant, Tiantian Restaurant, Kuaile Laojia, Baguo Buyi Restaurant, Gingko Restaurant, etc.
A trip to Chengdu is not complete without a tasting of hot pot. Originated in Chongqing and prosperous in Chengdu, hotpot id noted for its peppery and hot taste, which is very popular among friends or families. Numerous sidewalk or exquisite hotpot restaurants could be found at every corner of Chongqing and Chengdu to meet the increasing demand of local people. Various kinds of hotpot are offered and one of the most popular one is yuanyang hotpot, in which the wok is partitioned into two parts, one with spicy oil and the other with a delicious broth.
Recommended Restaurant: Lao Ma Tou, Huangcheng Laoma, Shizilou, Kong Liang Hot Pot, Shu Jiu Xiang, Lao Zhao Hot Pot, Three Ears Hot Pot( fish hot pot), etc.
An overwhelming variety of local snacks could be found in Chengdu, such as the most famous Fu Qi Fei Pian, Chuan Chuan Xiang, Liao’s Bang-bang Chicken, Dan Dan Noodles, Hot and Sour Rice Noodles, Wontons, Pig-knuckle, Crusty Pancake, and so on, many of which are named after the founder's last name, such as Lai Glutinous Rice Balls, Zhong Dumplings, Liao Ribs, etc. Here are some famous Chengdu snacks for you.
- Fu Qi Fei Pian(夫妻肺片): A popular cold dish made of thinly sliced beef and beef offal.
- Chuan Chuan Xiang(串串香): A pot of hot spicy oil filled with skewers of vegetables and meat.
- Dan Dan Noodles(担担面): A savory and spicy Sichuan noodles with ground meat.
- Hot and Sour Rice Noodles(酸辣粉): Slippery noodles in a tangy, hot and sour soup.
- Long Chao Shou(龙抄手): Sichuan Wonton featured thin skin, tender stuffing and delicious soup.
- Lai Glutinous Rice Balls(赖汤圆): A traditional dessert made from glutinous rice flour and sweet fillings named after the inventor Lai Yuanxin.
- Zhong Dumplings(钟水饺): The representative of Sichuan dumplings named after the inventor Zhong Shaobai.
Recommended: Qiangjiaojiao Chuan Chuan Xiang, Yulin Chuan Chuan Xiang Restaurant, Xiaojiahe Lao Chuan Chuan, Jingcheng Yuan Restaurant, Jinli Snack Street, Chunxi Road, Wide and Narrow Alleys, Wenshu Temple, and other street corner.
Besides, there are dozens of KFC and McDonald's in the city, as well as some famous western restaurant.