Ming and Qing Dynasties Street in Pingyao
English Name: Ming and Qing Dynasties Street in Pingyao
Type: Culrural Heritage, Ancitent Architecture
Best Time: Autumn and Winter
Recommended Visiting Hours: 1 Day
Opening Hours: All Day
Location: Ming Qing Street is sited in the center of Pingyao Ancient Town, Shanxi Province
Ming and Qing Dynasties Street is also called South Street(南大街), which is located on the central axis of Pingyao ancient city, Shanxi Province. It has been the main commercial avenue in Pingyao for centuries. This ancient street is 400 meters long, there are 78 ancient shops and stores on it, almost all the businesses of that time were included.
History of Ming and Qing Dynasties Street
Pingyao Ancient City was first built at Zhou Dynasty, extended at Ming Dynasty, and became the economic center of China at Qing Dynasty. Ming and Qing Street got its name from this. At that time, half of China’s private banks set their headquarters at the street, such as the well known exchange shop Rishengchang(日升昌票号). This is why the street is also call the Wall Street of Ancietn China.
Shanxi Province is not only famous for its Pingyao Ancient City, but also for its merchant. We call them Jin merchant(晋商). They are the most wealthy and famous merchant all over the county at that time. For them, the street is a golden land. The merchant families set up stores, private banks at the street. The street became the business center and the stage of the merchant at Ming and Qing Dynasty.
Main Attractions at Ming and Qing Dynasties Street
- Rishengchang Exchange Shop(日升昌票号)
A firm for exchange and transfer of money. It is the originator of Chinese exchange shop, andt is the first private financial institution in China that specializes in deposit, loan and exchange business.
- Xietongqing Old-style Chinese Private Bank(协同庆钱庄)
It mainly offers cash and silver exchange service, which is an indispensable part of Shanxi businessmen. It demonstrates the internal layout of the early private banks in China, which is an indispensable part of the understanding of Shanxi merchant(晋商) culture.
- Ancient Government Office of Pingyao(平遥县衙)
Pingyao ancient government office is one of the most well-preserved Ming Dynasity Yamen(衙门) in China. Its ordest buildings are about 600 years old. It is the largest existing county ancient government office in China.
How to Get There
- By Train: Tourist can take the High Speed Train at Taiyuan South Railway Station(太原南站) to Pingyao County(平遥县), which will take about 30 minutes. Or take the regular train from Taiyuan Railway Station(太原站) to Pingyao County, which takes about 1 and a half hours.
- By Bus: Tourists can also take the travel bus get to the ancient city from Taiyuan Wususu Airport(太原武宿机场), the journey will take 1 and a half hours. Buses is also available from Taiyuan to Pingyao County. Tourists can take the buses from Taiyuan Jiannan Bus Station to Pingyao County, from 7:30-20:00, there is a bus every 20 minutes from Taiyuan to Pingyao. It will take 1.5 to 2 hours, and the tickets is 26 CN￥.
- By Private Car: What’s more, tourists can also get to Pingyao Ancient City by private car.
Recommended Ming and Qing Dynasties Street Tours
Top 3 Pingyao Ancient City tours chosen by most customers to explore Pingyao Ancient City is the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us. We provide some tour routes for tourists to choose from.
Useful Travel Tips
1. Pingyao International Photography Festival(平遥国际摄影大展)
Founded in 2001, it is a international photography festival. With the combination of traditional and modern, the festival shows the unique style of Pingyao ancient city. Pingyao exhibition advocates diversification, internationalization and specialization, and works of various themes, styles and techniques of expression can be exhibited in pingyao, which is known as “a precious stage for international photographers to show themselves”.
The festival usually held in September, so September is a good time to visit Pingyao.
2. Best Time to Visit
Autumn and Winter are the best time to visit Pingyao. For Autumn, there is Pingyao International Photography Festival waiting for you. For winter, you can enjoy the beautiful snow scenery at Pingyao Ancient City.
The entrance ticket of Pingyao Ancient City is 125 CN￥ per person. The Ming and Qing Dynasties Street is free.