Little Three Gorges in Wushan County, Chongqing
Formed by the Longmen Gorge, Bawu Gorge and Dicui Gorge with different features, Lesser Three Gorges is a to recommended place to savor the outstanding sightseeing of beautiful water, emerald mountains and other interesting culture and local history.
Type: Geologic Formations, Bodies of Water, Nature & Parks, Gorges
Chinese Name : 重庆小三峡
Best Time: March to August
Recommended Visiting Hours: 2-4 hours
Open Hours: 08:00-17:30
Address: Daning River, Wushan County, Chongqing, China(重庆市巫山县大宁河)
Lesser Three Gorges
Small Three Gorges, Located at the downstream of Daning River,extending from the entrance of the Dragon-Gate Gorge in the South to Tujiaba in the North, which is the tributary of the Yangtze River at the part of Three Gorges, the Lesser Three Gorges is measured about 60 kilometers long in total. with an area of 160 hectares of forest.
Main Attractions of Lesser Three Gorges
The Small Three Gorges (Lesser Three Gorges) is one of the exciting and famous stops in the Yangtze Three Gorges. Formed by the Longmen Gorge, Bawu Gorge and Dicui Gorge with different features, Lesser Three Gorges is a to recommended place to savor the outstanding sightseeing of beautiful water, emerald mountains and other interesting culture and local history. Here sheer cliffs and steep mountains rise on either side, creating one of natural fine arts gallery as natural scenic wonders unfold on both banks of the river. Clear water flows between precarious precipices and peaks covered with green trees and bushes.
Grand Longmen Gorge(龙门大峡谷)
Longmen Gorge is the first gorge of Small Three Gorges, about 3 km long. Longmen gorge famous sceneries are Shishoumen (Lion Gatekeeper), the ancient plank road site, Lingzhi Peak (Lucid Ganoderma Peak), Yinwo Beach (Silver Nest Beach), and Mojiao Beach, etc. On the Hedong rock, there is a clear spring gurgled into the river, called “Longmen Spring”. And there is another colorful pebble beach in Longmen Gorge, is a natural and exquisite miniascape.
How to get to Lesser Three Gorges
Travel with China Dragon Tours (top recommended)
If you want to get out of the traffic and hassle of navigation, you can book a private tour package that includes visiting, dining and transfer from us. Our local guide and driver will escort you to the Lesser Three Gorges and most convenient way and take care of all the details. You just have to focus on the visiting.
- Taking high-speed hydrofoil in Chaotianmen Dock for 8 hours to Wushan, and then transferring to a bus to Small Three Gorges Longmen Pier.
- You could start from Chongqing city, by taking a coach from Chongqing Longtousi South Bus Station (龙头寺汽车南站) or Longtousi North Bus Station (龙头寺汽车北站) to Wushan Bus Station for about 5-6 hours, then you could transfer to a local taxi to the Lesser Three Gorges Tourist Port to take the local sightseeing boat to enjoy your visit to the Lesser Three Gorges.
- Besides, you could also get there from Yichang, by taking a coach from Yichang Bus Terminal (宜昌汽车客运中心) to Wushan Bus Station for about 4-5 hours.
Useful Travel Tips
The Best Time to Travel Small Three Gorges
From March to August is the best time, when you could savor more emerald scenery and enjoy the comfortable weather. Moreover, from late November to December every year, Wushan Mountain is colored by the fiery red leaves all around. You can also visit during that period to join in the international festival of red leaves in Wushan.
Climate of Small Three Gorges
The annual average temperature of Lesser Three Gorges is about 18.4, with the lowest during January with 7.1 averagely and hottest in July with 29.3 averagely. Within Wushan area, it is sunny and light in autumn, misty continuously in winter and often rain a lot in summer seasons.
Something to Pack
During July and August, it is hot at Lesser Three Gorges, and wearing short T-shirts is suitable. Besides, it often rains at in Wushan area, especially during July and August, so take your umbrella and raincoat when visiting there.
Nearby Attractions in Chongqing
- Qianye Grassland in Shizhu County, Chongqing
- Hong’an Ancient Town in Xiushan County, Chongqing
- Huaxia Peony Garden in Dianjiang County, Chongqing
- Longgang National Geopark in Yunyang County, Chongqing
- Ciqikou Ancient Town in Chongqing
- Three Gorges Museum in Chongqing
- Zhang Fei Temple in Chongqing
- Wanzhou Grand Waterfall in Chongqing
- Great Buddha Temple in Tongnan District, Chongqing
- Hanfeng Lake in Kaizhou District, Chongqing
- Qutang Gorge of Yangtze River in Chongqing