Emerald Trail of Ocean Park in Hong Kong
Emerald Trail of Ocean Park Facts
Stroll through a verdant garden filled with the trills of birdsong, while admiring flowers in bloom. The picturesque Emerald Trail is the perfect place to relax and take in nature with your family while delighting in the sunlight shimmering across the pond or staring at the dappled leaves high above.
Chinese Name: 香港海洋公园翡翠小径
Type: Parks & Nature
Address: Wong Chuk Hang, Hong Kong Island
Best Seasons: All year round
Recommended Visiting Hours: about 2-3 hours
Opening Hours: Dec. 3 - 13: 10:00 - 18:00
Dec. 14 - 15: 10:00 - 00:00
Dec. 16 - 20: 10:00 - 18:00
Dec. 21 - 31: 10:00 - 19:00
Why is Emerald Trail of Ocean Park so Special?
- Hong Kong Ocean Park is the second largest theme park in Hong Kong, after Hong Kong Disneyland. It is also the second oldest theme park in Hong Kong
- Emerald Trail – A verdant garden featuring natural settings with flowers, tall trees, stone bridges and gentle pools.
Where is Hong Kong Ocean Park?
Ocean Park, situated on the southern side of Hong Kong Island, is Hong Kong’s premier educational theme park. The current park covers more than 915,000 square metres of land and features a diverse selection of world-class animal attractions, thrill rides and shows divided between the Waterfront and the Summit.
History of Hong Kong Ocean Park
Opened in January 1977 by the Governor of Hong Kong, Sir Murray MacLehose, Ocean Park was constructed as a subsidiary of the Hong Kong Jockey Club, with HK$150 million of funding. The land was provided free by the Hong Kong Government. Between 1982 and 1984, the Jockey Club put a further HK$240 million into developing facilities at Tai Shue Wan and thrill rides at the Summit.
Ocean Park ceased to be a Jockey Club subsidiary on 1 July 1987, becoming its own statutory body, with a Government-appointed Board. The Jockey Club established a HK$200 million trust to ensure the Park’s continued development. At present, Ocean Park is managed by the Ocean Park Corporation, a financially independent, non-profit organisation.
Main Attractions of Emerald Trail of Ocean Park
Take the Expedition Trail into the heart of the Rainforest, where strange and beautiful creatures roam. Hear the calls of world’s largest and smallest toucans, the toco toucan and the green aracari, and spot the brilliantly coloured poison frogs. Discover one of the world’s largest freshwater fish, the arapaima, and the wide-eyed kinkajou. More of the world’s most astounding animals lurk beneath the leaves, like the pygmy marmoset and the capybara, whose incredible adaptations to their habitats make them interesting to learn about and crucial to protect.
Recommended Hong Kong Tour
- 4 Days Hong Kong Discovery Tour
- 3 Days Hong Kong Disneyland Tour for Family
- 2 Days Hong Kong Highlights Tour
- 2 Days Hong Kong & Macau Highlights Tour
- 3 Days Hong Kong In-depth Tour with Walking Experience
How to Get to Emerald Trail of Ocean Park
Travel with ChinaDragonTours (top recommended)
If you want to get out of the traffic and hassle of navigation, you can book a private tour package that includes visiting, dining and transfer from us. Our local guide and driver will escort you to Emerald Trail of Ocean Park in Hong Kong in the fastest and most convenient way and take care of all the details. You just have to focus on the visiting.
1. Take South Island Line and get off at Ocean Park Station, Exit B.
2. Take bus 48, 107, 629, or 973 to Hong Kong Ocean Park directly.
3. Take bus 71, 71P, 72A, 75 or N72 to Wong Chuk Hang. Then, you will see the Park.
Useful Travel Tips
- Where to Stay in Hong Kong
JW Marriott Hotel Hong Kong: Our Hong Kong go to hotel is the JW Marriott and the Harbour views are a bonus. Adjacent to the fab Pacific Place shopping mall with access to Admiralty MTR station making sightseeing and transport seamless – Click here for latest prices
The Upper House: Another great luxury Hong Kong hotel is the Upper House with it’s amazing views, luxurious rooms and great location – Click here for latest prices
Hotel Stage: a Kowloon fave and a fab boutique option with reasonably priced rooms – Click here for latest prices
Ovolo: a short walk from the Hong Kong mid level escalators it’s compact and efficient and perfect for exploring the city – Click here for latest prices
- Taxi is one of the most popular ways to and from the Hong Kong International Airport. It is fast, comfortable and offers point-to-point travel. The taxi rank is located outside the Arrival Hall on the left side. Follow the direction signs. The estimated fare is HK$220-230 plus HK$5 for each piece of luggage stored inside the baggage compartment, and each piece of luggage with total dimensions (length + width + height) exceeding 140cm stored inside the cabin. The journey time is about 30-40 minutes. The fare and time depend on traffic conditions. Hong Kong taxi drivers know all the major hotels, but it is a good idea to note the address of your hotel or destination point on a piece of paper.
- Also, visitors to Hong Kong may take the Airport Express train. The journey to Kowloon station costs HK$90 and takes 21 minutes. The trains run every 10 minutes from 5:50am to 1:15am daily. There are discounts up to 40% for those who travel in a group or family. HK$140 for a group of 2, HK$190 for a group of 3 and HK$220 for a group of 4. Then take a taxi or Free Airport Express Shuttle Bus to your hotel or destination point.
HK$480 (Adult); HK$240 (Children between 3-11 years old);
Free for kids under 3 years old
Dec. 3 – 13: 10:00 – 18:00
Dec. 14 – 15: 10:00 – 00:00
Dec. 16 – 20: 10:00 – 18:00
Dec. 21 – 31: 10:00 – 19:00