Taohuayuan Scenic Area in Changde
Taohuayuan Scenic Area, also called Peach Blossom Land, is the fairyland described by Tao Yuanming, the famous poet in Eastern Jin Dynasty. It has a history of more than 1600 years, with beautiful mountains, fields, temples, poetry, as well as wonderful legends. It is highly valuable in tourism, history, culture, and arts.
English Name: Taohuayuan Scenic Area in Changde
Opening Hours: 8 am-4 pm
Ticket Price:65- 75RMB
Best Time: Spring
Recommended Visiting Hours: 1 or 3 hours
Location: Next to National Highway 319, Taohuayuan Town, Taoyuan County, Changde
Taohuayuan Scenic Area
Taohuayuan Scenic Area, also called Peach Blossom Land, is located in Taoyuan County, Changde City, south-central China’s Hunan Province. It’s 34km away from Changde City, and 138km away from Zhangjiajie City. The scenic area lies between the Yuan River and Wuling Mountain Range, there are rich of ancient architectures, green trees. The unique geographical location adds to Peach Blossom Land the beauty of Dongting Lake, the elegance of Western Hunan, the special scenery of rivers and the sight of Wuling. Taohuayuan Scenic Area covers an area of 158 square kilometers. The Wuling Fishing Land occupies 44 square kilometers of the whole scenic area. Taohuayuan Scenic Area mainly consists of mountains, caves, waters, ancient gardens, plants, animals, steles and stone carvings.
Introduction of Taohuayuan Scenic Are
History & Culture
Founded in Jin dynasty, Taohuayuan had reached its peak in the Song dynasty (song 宋). It is one of the China’s four major Taoist sacred places, sharing the same praise with Emei (é méi 峨眉), Wudang (wǔ dāng 武当) and Nanyue(nán yuè 南岳). From time immemorial, it has had the reputation of the thirty-fifth dwelling of immortals and the forty-sixth blessed spot, harmonized the culture of Nuo (nuó 傩), Taoism, Buddhism, Confucianism and other multi-cultural. It is the product of Chinese history and culture change as well as the vicissitudes of life, and also witnessed the seclusion culture to the world. Taohuayuan represents a dimension of Chinese history and culture, having a very high visit, historical value and cultural artistic value, which flickers the light of human civilization.
Taohuayuan Scenic Area is composed of four scenic parts; Taoyuan Hill, Taohua Hill, Qinren Village and Taoxian Range with varied scenes respectively. Dotted in the area are many stone tablets inscribed with poems, precious cultural relics, and ancient buildings. “Fishing Village at Sunset” in the area is one of the “Eight Grand Sights in Hunan”. In March when peach trees bloom, the place looks like a fairyland.
Where is Taohuayuan Scenic Area
Taohuayuan Scenic Area is located in Taoyuan County, Changde City, south-central China’s Hunan Province. It’s 34km away from Changde City, and 138km away from Zhangjiajie City. The scenic area lies between the Yuan River and Wuling Mountain Range.
The Best Time to Visit
In Spring, peaches are blossoming in Taohuayuan Scenic Area. It is the best time to see the view of peaches blossom land in March and May. Well-known for its beautiful peach flowers, Taohuanyuan Scenic Area holds the Peach Blossom Festival on the 8th of March each year for visitors to enjoy its cloudy sea of peach flowers. In 2017, Taohuayuan Resort will host the 28th annual Peach Blossom Festival. This festival will last for two months from the 8th of March to the 8th of May. The theme of the Peach-Blossom Festival is “Welcome Hunan, Enter Taohuayuan”, which will mainly exhibit culture and the historical heritage of civilization, and further publicized two kinds of brand-tours— the “flower-viewing tour” and the “culture-understanding tour.”
How to Get There
- The Yuan River, the main waterway of Hunan Province, can directly reach Yueyang and the Yangtze River by passing through the Dongting Lake.
- The Shimen-Changsha Railway (from Shimen to Taoyuan to Changde to Yiyang to Changsha) has the main railway station in Changde which is only 50 km away from Taohuayuan and provides a convenient connection between Taohuayan and the cities along the Beijing-Guangzhou Railway and the Jiaozuo-Liuzhou Railway.
- Taohuayuan Airport, a National Second Level Civil Airport, is only 34 km away from the scenic spot and has already opened airlines to Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Beijing, Shanghai, Haikou, Kunming, Chongqing and so on.
- There is a shuttle bus from North Taoxian Station to Taohuayuan Scenic Area.
Useful Travel Tips
- Admission fee: 128 CNY/person (validity period: three days). 75 yuan/adult from March to October; 65 yuan/adult from December to February
- Opening hours: 8:30-17:30 (March 1 – October 31); 9:00-17:00 (November 1 – February 28)
More Attractions in Hunan
- Liuye Lake in Changde
- Zhangguying Village in Yueyang
- Tongdao Wanfo Mountain in Huaihua
- Hongjiang Ancient Commercial Town
- Qianyang Ancient Town in Huaihua City
- Qu Yuan Temple in Yueyang