1. Basic Information of Puer
- Chinese Name: 普洱
- Area: 45,385.34 square kilometers
- Population: 2,617,000(2016)
- Zip code: 665000
- Dialing code: (+86) 0879
2. Where is Puer
Pu'er City is located in the southwest of Yunnan Province. It is located between 22°02′—24°50′ north latitude and 99°09′—102°19′ east longitude. It is adjacent to Honghe and Yuxi in the east, Xishuangbanna in the south, Dali and Chuxiong in the north. It is bordered by Vietnam and Laos in the southeast and Myanmar in the southwest. The national boundary line is about 486 kilometers long (303 kilometers from Myanmar, 116 kilometers from Laos and 67 kilometers from Vietnam). Pu'er City is 208.5 kilometers long from north to south, 55 kilometers from the east to the west. With a total area of 45,385 square kilometers, Puer is the largest prefecture (city) in Yunnan Province. The municipal government station is located in Simao Town, Simao District, with an altitude of 1,302 meters, 415 kilometers from Kunming, the provincial capital of Yunnan.
3. Administrative Divisions of Jinggu County
Pu'er City has jurisdiction over 1 municipal district and 9 autonomous counties.
- 1 Municipal District: Simao District(思茅区)
- 9 Autonomous Counties: Ninger Hani and Yi Autonomous County(宁洱哈尼族彝族自治县), Jingdong Yi Autonomous County(景东彝族自治县), Zhenyuan Yi, Hani and Lahu Autonomous County(镇沅彝族哈尼族拉祜族自治县), Jinggu Dai and Yi Autonomous County(景谷傣族彝族自治县), Mojiang Hani Autonomous County(墨江哈尼族自治县), Lancang Lahu Autonomous County(澜沧拉祜族自治县), Ximeng Wa Autonomous County(西盟佤族自治县), Jiangcheng Hani and Yi Autonomous County(江城哈尼族彝族自治县), Menglian Dai, Lahu and Wa Autonomous County(孟连傣族拉祜族佤族自治县)
4. Ethnic People of Puer
There are 9 ethnic minority autonomous counties in Pu'er City, which are home to 14 inhabitants such as Han, Hani, Yi, Lahu, Wa and Dai. The minority population accounts for 61% of the total population in Puer.
5. Climate and Weather of Puer
Enjoying a plateau monsoon climate at low latitude, Pu'er is affected by the Indian Ocean and the Bay of Bengal. Therefore, the main features of its weather are mildness and humidity without strong wind.
6. Best Time to Visit Puer
It is suitable to visit Puer all year round. Like many other cities in Yunnan, Puer is a place where the seasons are like spring. There is no cold, no heat, warm and humid, especially suitable for human habitation, so you can go to Jinggu at any time.
7. What to Do in Puer
Within the territory, there are many scenic plots such as Mangyu Grand Canyon, Xiaoheijiang Forest Park, Puxian Temple, Dashi Temple, Bailong Park, Xiniuping Scenic Area of Puer National Park, Xiniuping Scenic Area of Puer National Park, Daoshenggen Tree Park, Cuiyun Xianrendong Cave, Ximahe Wetland Park.
8. How to Get to Puer
Puer can be accessible by air and long-distance bus. Long-distance buses are the common transportation mode.
9. History of Puer
Before 109 BC, the present Puer was the southern boundary of the Ancient Dai Country “Mengdaguang(勐达光)”(Ailao Country in Chinese).