Longhu Mountain in Yingtan
Dragon and Tiger Mountain (Long Hu Mountain) is the birthplace of China Taoism and can be classified as typical Danxia Landform of relative complete development.
English Name: Longhu Mountain in Yingtan
Chinese Name: 鹰潭市龙虎山
Opening Hours: April~March：7:30a.m.~5:30p.m. September~March：8:00a.m.~5:00p.m.
Ticket Price: 120 RMB
Best Time: Summer
Recommended Visiting Hours: 2 or 4 hours
Address: 16 km (about 9.94 miles) south of Yingtan City, Jiangxi Province
Mount Longhu (Chinese: 龙虎山; pinyin: Lónghŭ Shān; literally: ‘Dragon Tiger Mountain’, Gan: Lung-fu San), is located in Jiangxi, China. It is famous for being one of the birthplaces of Taoism, with many Taoist temples built upon the mountainside. It is particularly important to the Zhengyi Dao as it the Shangqing Temple and the Mansion of the Taoist Master are located here. It is known as one of the Four Sacred Mountains of Taoism.
Introduction of Longhu Mountain
Two of them are the temples of Immortal City (仙岩) and Zheng Yi (正一), all founded by Zhang Daoling (张道陵), the Han Dynasty founder of the religion. There are more Taoist temples in nearby Shangqing (上清). One of the temples in Shangqing is mentioned in the beginning of the famous Chinese novel (水滸傳) “Outlaws of the Marsh”.
Mount Longhu also has cultural significance has a historical burial site of the Guyue people, who placed their dead in hanging coffins on the mountain cliff faces.
In August 2010 UNESCO inscribed Mount Longhu on the World Heritage List as part of the complex of six sites that make up the China Danxia.
How to Get There
- Take a train from Nanchang Railway Station to Yingtan and there are buses from the square of Yingtan Railway Station to the mountain.
- Take a bus from Nanchang Long-distance Bus Station (9:30/ 11:00) or Nanchang Xufang Bus Station (9:45/ 13:00/ 16:20) to Yingtan, The bus takes about 2h. After arrival, walk north for 15 minutes to Yingtan Railway Station to catch a bus to the mountain.
Recommended Jiangxi Tour Packages
- 4 Days China Heritage Tour to Jiangxi Province
- 10 Days Jiangxi and Hunan Villages and Wonders Tour
- 5 Days Jiangxi Province Tour with Wuyuan Villages and Mount Lushan
- 8 Days Shanghai-Suzhou-Wuzhen-Hangzhou-Wuyuan-Huangshan Tour by Bullet Train
- 5 Days Huangshan and Wuyuan Photo Tour
- 4 Days Wuyishan Tour
- 3 Days Wuyishan Tour