Fengdu Ghost City in Chongqing
Fengdu County is known to most Chinese as the 'Ghost City'. Having nearly two thousand years' history, the Ghost City combines the cultures of Confucianism, Taoism and Buddhism with the mystique of ghosts.
English Name: Fengdu Ghost City
Type: Cultural Attraction, Religious Site, Historical Site, National AAAA Tourist Attraction
Recommended Visiting Hours: 2-4 hours
Open Hours: 07:00-17:20 (stop selling after 16:00)
Address: Mingshan Mountain, Fengdu County, Chongqing, China(重庆市丰都县名山)
Where is Fengdu Ghost City？
Fengdu Ghost City is on the Ming mountain on the northern bank of the Yangtze River,in Fengdu County, Chongqing municipality, China. It is situated about 170 kilometres downstream from Chongqing on the north bank of the Yangtze River. Fengdu Ghost Town is nearly a must-go place for Chongqing visitors and serves as the first shore excursion site for Yangtze cruises.
Why is Fengdu Ghost City So Special？
Fengdu County is known to most Chinese as the ‘Ghost City’. Having nearly two thousand years’ history, the Ghost City combines the cultures of Confucianism, Taoism and Buddhism with the mystique of ghosts. Its famous constructions and displays of culture of “ghost” and the hell and the important function of spreading the traditional values in Confucians, Taoist, and Buddhist believes, and the value of “good people will be treated well, and bad people will be punished after death”.
How to get to Fengdu Ghost City
Travel with ChinaDragonTours (top recommended)
If you want to get out of the traffic and hassle of navigation, you can book a private tour package that includes visiting, dining and transfer from us. Our local guide and driver will escort you to the Fengdu Ghost City and most convenient way and take care of all the details. You just have to focus on the visiting.
- Bus: there is a luxury bus to Fengdu every half an hour at Chongqing Chaotianmen long-distance passenger terminal. The fare is 45 yuan / person.
- Self driving: from the main city of Chongqing to Fengdu via Fuling expressway, the toll is 50 yuan.
- Special line: Chongqing Chaotianmen wharf to Fengdu wharf is navigable all year round.
Useful Travel Tips
During March 3rd-5th every year, there is the annual temple fair held at Fengdu Ghost City, when many different kinds of performances and activities would be prepared for visitors from all places in the world.
Since Fengdu Ghost City is built on the mountain area, there would be many steps (about 800 steps) need to walk up to the top place. For people who have weak legs or of advanced age, it is suggested visit Fengdu Ghost City according to the real condition of your body.
Nearby Attractions in Chongqing
- Qianye Grassland in Shizhu County, Chongqing
- Hong’an Ancient Town in Xiushan County, Chongqing
- Huaxia Peony Garden in Dianjiang County, Chongqing
- Longgang National Geopark in Yunyang County, Chongqing
- Ciqikou Ancient Town in Chongqing
- Three Gorges Museum in Chongqing
- Zhang Fei Temple in Chongqing
- Wanzhou Grand Waterfall in Chongqing
- Great Buddha Temple in Tongnan District, Chongqing
- Hanfeng Lake in Kaizhou District, Chongqing
- Qutang Gorge of Yangtze River in Chongqing
- Wu Gorge of Yangtze River in Chongqing