1. Xishuangbanna Geography
The prefecture has an area of 19,700 km2 (7,600 sq mi). Xishuangbanna is the home of the Dai people. The region sits at a lower altitude than most of Yunnan, and borders closely on tropical climate. It is fast becoming a sought after tourist destination. Besides, it borders Laos and Burma and is adjacent Thailand and Vietnam. The location is 99°56' - 101°50' east longitude , 21°08' - 22°36' north latitude.
2. Xishuangbanna Climate
Located south of the Tropic of Cancer, Xishuangbannan enjoys the tropical monsoon climate. The mountainous area belongs to the subtropical humid monsoon climate. It is warming all year round, sunny and rich in heat, humid and rainy. It has long summer and no winter. There are only two seasons here, rain season and dry season. The rain season is from late May to late October, while dry season is from late Oct. to the late May of the next year. The rain seasons last for 5 month, and the precipitation accounted for more than 80% of the annual precipitation.
Here are some annual weather facts based on historical climate data:
- On average, the temperatures are always high.
- Most rainfall (rainy season) is seen in May, June, July, August, September and October.
- Xishuangbanna has dry periods in January, February, March and December.
- On average, the warmest month is April.
- On average, the coolest month is January.
- August is the wettest month. This month should be avoided if you don't like too much rain.
- February is the driest month.
AVERAGE MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OVER THE YEAR
AVERAGE MONTHLY PRECIPITATION OVER THE YEAR (RAINFALL, SNOW)
3. Best Time to Visit Xishuangbanna
The best time to visit Xishuangbanna is during the dry season (from November to April), when the weather is agreeable and the temperature is mild. If you would like to taste the rich tropical fruit here, traveling during the period from June to September is a good choice.
Try to avoid the peak holidays due to crowded Chinese tourists such as Chinese Spring Festival (usually in late Jan or early Feb.), International Labor Day (May 01 to 03) and National Day (Oct 01-07). Spring Festival and the National Day golden week are the most crowded time for travelling.