Fenghuang County Climate
Located on the western margin of Hunan Province and the southern Xiangxi, Fenghuang County is immediately adjacent to the eastern edge of Guizhou Province. Fenghuang is bordered to the north by Huayuan County and Jishou City, to the east by Luxi County, to the southeast by Mayang County, to the southwest and the west by Bijiang District of Tongren City and Songtao County of Guizhou. Fenghuang County covers 1,745 km2.
Fenghuang County belongs to the mid-subtropical monsoon humid climate, but the northwest Zhongshan Mountain has the nature of the northern subtropics. Due to the difference in terrain between the northwest and the southeast, the climate is diverse, which is divided into three parts-the northwest alpine region with an altitude of over 700 meters, the warmer region and the area between alpine region and warmer region. The temperature in the alpine mountainous area and the warmer area generally differs by 5-6°C, and the difference of the solar terms is about 15 days. The climate here is classified as Cfa by the Köppen-Geiger system. The average annual temperature in Fenghuang is 16.8°C. The rainfall here averages 1,287 mm.
Temperature of Fenghuang
The entire Fenghuang County is located in the low-heat zone of Xiangxi with an annual average temperature of 15.9°C. The number of days greater than or equal to 35°C is only 10.5 days for the whole year.
Precipitation of Fenghuang
Fenghuang County is located in the less-rainfall region on the east side of the Yunnan-Guizhou Plateau. The average annual rainfall is only 1,308.1 mm, and the annual precipitation is the least in Xiangxi Prefecture. It is also one of the less rainy areas in Hunan Province. However, due to the blockage and uplift of the warm airflow in the mountainous areas. The drought in the Laershan Area is often not more serious than that in the suburbs.
Wind of Fenghuang
The wind direction of Fenghuang County is northerly winds in winter and southerly winds in summer. Therefore, affected by the general circulation of atmosphere, it is the most obvious monsoon circulation.
Best Time to Visit Fenghuang
Fenghuang is a place with four distinct seasons. Therefore, it is suitable to visit all year round. Whenever visitors come here, they always have different experience in different seasons.
- Spring: Everything comes back to life in Spring and it is moderate, which is the best time to visit Fenghuang. All the plants turns green and flowers are blooming.
- Summer: It is the best time to visit Fenghuang Ancient Town and it is the peak season for visitors.
- Autumn: It is the best time to experience the Catching Autumn Festival. Of course, it is a harvest season.
- Winter: It is beautiful when Fenghuang Ancient Town is covered with snow.
Travel Tips for Visiting Fenghuang
What to Pack
- Spring: wind coat, jacket and thin sweaters.
- Summer: In order to get a comfortable trip to Fenghuang in summer, these things are necessary, such as T-shirt, shorts, a light coat, sunglasses, a sun hat, a pair of hiking shoes. Of course, the mosquito repellant and raincoat are your best choices.
- Autumn: wind coat, jacket and thin sweaters.
- Winter: thick coat and sweater, cotton wadded jacket.
What to Notice
1. In China, please had better not travel in peak seasons, such as Chinese New Year, International Labor Day and National Day. If you want to experience the traditional festival culture, Taking a tour during the traditional festivals of China can get the opportunity to experience the festivals culture.
2. Be careful of the changeable temperature. A few chilly days could be followed by relatively hot weather. So it is better to take some early winter clothes to protect you away from the sudden low temperature.